DO NURSES GET FIRED IF THEY REFUSE TO FOLLOW A DOCTOR'S ORDERS?

Queenet
Head Nurse
Head Nurse
Reactions:

DO NURSES GET FIRED IF THEY REFUSE TO FOLLOW A DOCTOR'S ORDERS?

Unread post by Queenet »

"About 20 years ago I was working the medical floor of a small hospital when I was given an admit from ER. The patient had been hit by a car and sustained a head injury on his way to the methadone clinic. The admitting doctor asked the patient what his normal dose was (160mg) and ordered that to be given to the patient upon admission to my floor.

Based on my assessment, the patient had (1) a head injury, and (2) was already heavily medicated. I suspected the patient t had been hit after leaving the clinic and refused to administer the methadone.

I was threatened by the doctor for “disobedience” and threatened by the floor supervisor, and the house supervisor had to get involved.

In the end the floor supervisor gave the medication and I refused to accept responsibility for the patient.
The patient overdosed and the floor supervisor spent the next 8 hours walking the patient up and down the halls trying to keep him awake and breathing while we tracked down the doctor to get the patient stabilized.
On my next shift both the doctor and supervisor came and apologized to me. They had nearly killed a patient because they were stubborn and unwilling to listen.

Nurses need to be respectful and act professionally, but we absolutely have the right to question orders and protect our patients. I can refuse any order that I in good conscience believe will cause harm, but I must follow the chain of command and be able to justify why I am refusing."

- Mike Ratliff (2021) Quora Answer to the question.
"Changing how the world thinks about nursing".