Major problem that hinders Nurses' advancement in Public Settings

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Major problem that hinders Nurses' advancement in Public Settings

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Major problem that hinders Nurses' advancement in Public Settings:

A Registered Nurse who obtained his first degree outside nursing (sociology, PHE etc) would start fighting management for denying him promotion above CNO's position. I witnessed this in my state.

Painfully, a lecturer with BNSc obtained his Masters and PhD degrees outside nursing (eg in Education or Arts) but he would also be fighting the university management for denying him promotion to or appointment as HOD/associate professor/Professor in Nursing. I witnessed this too.

To me, if you are a RN/BNSC holder and also a university lecturer but you obtained your MSc and PhD in PHE (instead of in Nursing) then you will be more useful to PHE students and you can easily be a professor (if you meet the requirement) in that field but not in Nursing.

My advice: Before accepting any job offer from any organization understand the promotional criteria in that particular organization instead of creating unnecessary tensions on yourself and management afterwards.

Good morning to you all!
By Ismail Nasiru Gwarzo

Nigerian Nurses lighting up the world one candle at a time.

Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: Major problem that hinders Nurses' advancement in Public Settings

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:59 am

Response to the post from our Facebook group forum
Jane Vihi:
There is a CNO on grade level 14 a Nurse/Midwife who went and did her Bsc in Public Health and when it was time for promotion to ADNS, others were promoted and she was left out cos the degree she did was not in Nursing. Now as I type, she is currently doing her BNsc. What a waste of time. By the time she will be fighting for ADNS, her colleagues will be Directors. Let's be mindful of what we read in school. Is not just going to school that matters. Orientation is very important.
Ismail Gwarzo
Jane Vihi the problem at stake now is that some nurses do not learn their mistake from other colleagues.
Chinemere Jude
But is good she get the BNSC, you never can tell what happens before and after retirement

Jordan Barwa
Jane Vihi increase the volume, so that those nurses looking for: short cuts, top up degrees in nursing to get it right, thank you...

RN, RM, BNSc & (RM) , MScN, PhD in Nursing any deviation from the above fight yourself... dabbling in between is half baked...

Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:13 am

Uchechi Loius
After masters in maternal and child health can you go in for PhD in nursing? What will be the best thing to do?
Oluwabambo Adeleke
Uchechi Ibekwe Louis Maternal and Child Health is a speciality in nursing and if you do that you are still on course. You can can stick to that for your PhD as it will make you more grounded and become and an Advanced Practitioner in that field or you can look at areas where the knowledge of MCH can be more useful such as public or community health practice and focus on that. You'll still be very much in the line of Nursing.
Tolani Olabisi
Easier said. Do u know what it takes to have PhD Nursing in Nigeria? Many professors we have in Nursing didn't have their PhD in nursing but in other related courses
Ismail Gwarzo
Tolani Olabisi Ogunniyi and they will start causing troubles aspiring for professorship positions in Nursing.

Tolani Olabisi Ogunniyi No PhD that is easy sister. It is a matter of interest and determination.
Tolani Olabisi
Ismail Nasiru Gwarzo I know no PhD is easy, but it's less demanding in other fields compared to nursing. I've heard of someone spending 15 years doing PhD Nursing. If not, our people won't opt to do it in other fields
Ismail Gwarzo
Tolani Olabisi Ogunniyi I am not talking of whether it is easy or not. But if one doesn't have requisite requirements in Nursing one should not look for appointment for such qualifications
Ezike Okwudili
Tolani Olabisi Ogunniyi the number of years spent in school is not the measure of how strong the course contents or the area of study is? MPH for example takes close to 5yrs in UNIZIK while in ABU it is 1yr+; at UI, it is 3yrs. Would you judge it based on the contents or the attitudes of school authority or department management board.
Tolani Olabisi
Ezike Okwudili Calistus I believe you know Nursing and the issues facing it. It's not about the school, it's about the profession itself
Jordan Barwa
Ismail Nasiru Gwarzo that's it Comrade, the more we keep enlighten our colleagues the better the way forward in nursing profession.... Thank u sir...

Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:36 am

Musa Danjuma
We in nursing are not yet reach the level to start fighting those that earned certificate in others fields as long either directly or indirectly the are helping the profession. Let's keep our indifference aside and when we have enough masters and PhD holders then those reasons ur pointing will come to play. A MBBS graduate will go and do msc n PhD in biotechnology and yet the medical and dental council will still regard him as medical doctor and even a prof and then use his knowledge in that field to their advantage. Why can't we learn from them ? What is wrong for nurses to divert to others fields.
Ismail Gwarzo
Musa Shadrach Danjuma we are talking about leadership with commensurate qualifications. I have Masters in Health Economics, how can I start fighting for a position that requires MSc Nursing?
Musa Danjuma
Is totally in mature of we nurses to focus solemnly on nurses n fight those that broaden their horizon. Another example is this, other department within the health sectors accept mcpdp certificate from other department for license renewal. But nurses don't accept if. For example a medical doctor can attend nurses mcpdp if he wishes and medical and dental council of Nigeria will accept his/she certificate for license renewal but a nurse attend medical doctors mcpdp and his certificate will not be recognize why?

A friend and colleague do his masters in reproductive health. What is wrong with that course in nursing and yet to nurses body is not a pure nursing course. Is that not stupidity of thinking?/
Another friend want to do masters in clinical psychology yet he was told the council will not recognize and give him license is that not stupidity. What is wrong with that
Ismail Gwarzo
To all:

we are talking about leadership with commensurate qualifications. I have Masters in Health Economics, how can I start fighting for a position that requires MSc Nursing?

Chinemere Jude
This is the major cause of rancour among nursing staff in both academic departments and clinical departments.

Many people still find it difficult coming to term with reality.
Most nurses in the academic departments who obtained masters and PhD in other disciplines have all updated their academic qualifications in Nursing by pursuing MSc and PhD in Nursing either from the same university and outside the country.
Let us be realistic you can never work in Japan and go to Jerusalem and eat, for the fact that some universities promoted some some nurse lecturers without msc and PhD in Nursing to level of assoc. Profs. and Profs does not mean it will continue that way, Nursing professionalism should emerge in line with the international best practise across the globe.
Before you choose any programme ask yourself how far will I go with this qualification, will it take me to the zenith of this profession?
I can remember vividly while in school most of my lectures who abinitio had postgraduate qualifications in other courses upgraded to fall in line and they are waxing very strong. Most of them did it in other to get promotion which may not go beyond senior lecturer.
Julia Peru
If not Nursing it is not Nursing no matter the form it takes. Only we nurses can advance the course of our profession, so let us study nursing to the peak. Having msc or PhD in other fields as a nurse,
makes you neither here nor there.
Ogunjimi Omobolanle
Nice one, and also our leaders at the top too should be ready for mentorship so that we the upcoming ones can be guided appropriately.
Oladimeji Bolanle
You have said it all,this is what is happening in most health institutions. A word is enough for the wise

Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:11 am

Aliyu Garba
The problem with nurses is that they don't want to go for higher degrees in nursing. Majority went for degrees outside the scope of nursing.
Now nursing institutions is being strengthened and they want to head these institutions without higher degrees in nursing.

Please if you want to head nursing departments or its institutions, go for degrees in nursing.
Abdullahi Ismail
Nurses must be able to differentiate between the requirements in academic circles and those of clinical areas. Whereas the first degree is what matters in clinical practice, in academic circles there must be sequences in the hierarchy of academic qualifications. BSc,Msc and PhD respectively are academic. There any Nurse that starts to obtain higher degrees while in clinical settings will be advised to move to school for a more fulfilling career .We must understand that in employment our first degree is the basis of our placement and promotion. Other additional degrees are mere advantages. They don't make significant value in our placement other than suitability of assignments.
Nurses over the years are exhibiting reminiscences of their past inferiority complex in the new opportunity for career development to the top of the ladder. In university settings even where a Nurse is becoming a professor he can ONLY become a head of DEPARTMENT not EVEN a dean of the faculty of medicine no matter what. Any academic staff that cannot be a dean of the faculty, he cannot be a vice chancellor VC. This inhibitors are there and growing. We need to understand ourselves very well before we start quarreling on flimsy issues.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Social Media