Lesson learned from the two months strike action.

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

Lesson learned from the two months strike action.

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

Yes strike action has been called off , we all feel disappointed at the outcome particularly not one demand was met. However there are benefits this strike has exposed.

During this strike I observed and learn that nurses still have a long way to go and fight for better position in the health care industry.

First, our entry placement with other health worker is the least.

Our salary is also the least despite carrying all the load in the hospital.
Without nurses, hospital cannot work hence we deserve a better pay.
I was also able to have an idea of the average doctors take home pay in Nigeria compared to other health care workers.

I also learn that nurses covering for doctors absence without reporting it get paid for doing that from that fat salary. Why would I run around the whole hospital to look for a doctor collecting that fat salary to do his work?

Above all, resting and getting revitalize during this period is great gain.

I can go on and on. For me it is still victory.

What lesson learned or observation did you have during this strike? Share your experience.
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: Lesson learned from the two months strike action.

Usama Abubakar Tarah We were the live wire of the strike. Without Nurses it wouldn't have been effective. Even hospitals that went further looking for locum staff, they mostly advertised for only Nurses to tell you how indispensable our services are. I also learnt that despite our immeasurable significance in the health sector we are still the least compensated and what we need is only strong drivers to change everything to good. With strong drivers we alone can shutdown the hospitals and our story can entirely take a different good dimension.
Seyi Amodu A graduate nurse salary not same with the other professions.
Oluwaseun Oriyomi Shodiya Let the doctor do his job wholly, no cover up again!!, somebody cannot be collecting such a huge money and still expect me to be doing part of his job, shikena!
Usama Abubakar Tarah Like what and what Ma?
Oluwaseun Oriyomi Shodiya In the general hosp set up, there are times yu have emergency cases, and the doctor will be nowhere to be found, yu will do suturings of wounds and other procedures all in the name of saving life, then yu will see the doctor come in after some minutes, do some writings, prescribe drugs and go away like that.
Sheida Rasheedat Abolore Hmmm to painful ,mission not accomplished well I chose this proffesion in according wit God destiny I know He will fight for us

Olufemi Iseyemi FolakemiOlufemi I discovered why we failed! Money, power and position.
We lack these three and that was what the DRS used to beat us hands down.
Kingsley Asu The Doctors did not beat us in anyway. Rather they lost the fight you will understand very soon. #istandwithjohesu#
Rachelle Molokwu I learnt that the Nigerian state is wholly behind doctors supremacy in healthcare system. Since the whole government are solidly behind them, there's little the other professionals can do.

But I really don't understand why nursing leaders have refused to change the entry level of graduate nurses in Nigeria.
Olufemi Iseyemi FolakemiOlufemi It's still the managers, not the nursing leader, they are afraid to let nurses go.
Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi When we give up school of nursing it will not be debatable. But now they look at us as the least educated.
Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi We need to brace up, join the political class, improve on our status and have one united mind, remove all bitterness , settle with ourselves and have a development master plan ,which we must follow strictly. I mean meaningful projection into each year.
Rachelle Molokwu Ma, the first step to achieving all these you mentioned will start when tutors begin to raise allrounded nurses.

They should stop trying to break their spirit. When a student is sent to nursing school, that's so that they could learn nursing procedures, not to be made into lily-livered people who can barely speak for themselves.

Tutors should just teach them the darn nursing procedures and get on with it. All these punishments up and down are counterproductive. It is the beginning of low self-esteem in nurses.
Kunle Emmanuel Good observation
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Comfort Terngu Abaa Always my take,why ask a student to cut grass in the name of punishment. During my days our punishment was extra night duty,and we learnt a lot during this times. We are teaching our young ones to have low self esteem. We are our own problem. Stop schools of nursing and midwifery, train direct into the university and see who will dare you. Nurses wake up.
Sagir NuhuSagir I learned how egocentric the NMA & its members are, how our politicians are dumbfounded in knowing the worthy of other health workers, they value only Drs, even Scholarship is for MBBS.
I also learned that we need to study further up to Masters & PhD level.
Nurses should protect one another, see themselves as Brothers keepers.
Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi Yes, too many divisions.
Taibat Shuaib Balogun Little by little we will reach that stage wit God ,s power.
Abiola Olayinka Ogunlewe I have learnt that the doctors are not our friends, stop covering up for them, every man for himself
Adaobi Nnadozie Onyemenah From the strike, I have come to realize we are not in power. Nurses needs to start assuming political position so the we can be heard.
Micah Bognet Mathew NANNM representative(s) in JOHESU don't want to present proper placement for nurses for reasons best known to them. JOHESU is using us!. Why should a Pharmacist, Lab Scientist etc be placed above nurses who also spend 5years in the University? WHY WHY WHY
There is need for EQUITY in JOHESU too
Bola Ajepe Jolaogun Thank you very much sir, this the point let nurses pull out of johesu and fight for our right and position, nobody will do that for us except us. There should be equity in johesu. Nurses alone can hold this country into ransom
Micah Bognet Mathew We have NANNM representatives in JOHESU and I keep wondering why they are mute about it
Akinsanya Balogun Iyabode I believe the future is brighter for nursing profession with more people acquiring more educational qualifications, knowledge is power. We can only aspire for higher political post and executive with education. We wil get there.am proud to a nurse always.
Toyin Olasunkanmi Johnson Akomolafe
I learnt that our core procedures stylishly being taken away from us under the pretence of hospital policies masterminded by almighty doctors to relegate the nurses and leave us with the urinal and bedpan. This is to prove to the world and Nigerians that they do every skilled procedures in the hospital and earn public respect. Why will public respect nurses who only come to the hospital to carry bedpan and urinal, make beds, chase visitors away, write meal ticket, collect receipt before ward admission (other people's jobs). It is high time we took back our hijacked procedures, disobey hospital policies that prevent us from performing our roles as nurses. Be ready to face the hospital management and challenge the authority in cases of intimidation. As for me, I'm determined to start doing all these in earnest on the wards and turn a
deaf ear to any Superior that will want to stop. Laziness and loss of interest on our part majorly. Nurses wake up.
Idia Kasum I like that boldness is what we need.
Idia Kasum until we start taking actions
Idia Kasum To my surprise somebody from the outside asked me, why the doctors allowed us to go on strike and I was like wao! I sat her down and made her understand that doctors are no nurses employers in a government hospital, that, we are all employed by the govnt and each one of us have different role to play on a patient. I let her know that I can open a maternity home or clinic and employ a doctor. My explanations cleared her mind. This made me go along with what Tara submitted, that we made ourselves to be irrelevant by calling doc for any little procedure which we can carry out successfully before calling the attention of the doctor, all you need do is to explain why you do that and the benefit to the patient, I know, no right minded individual will penalised you for that. We have big role to play to redeemed our image. This strike should be an eye opener to all nurses, we need to come together despite your qualifications in nursing to right the wrong in nursing. By and large I am not happy that the strike is off without achieving anything.
Olagunju Taiwo Bolatito I now know that basic n post basic nursing school is our problem
Kunle Emmanuel Those school of nursing this thing should stop. It is obsolete.
Alhassan Lurwan Very bad at last we lost the game they achieved what they want to achieve but nest time it will not be proper like this becarefull.
Augusta Chinasa
I learnt that doctors are united and value one another.Thats y they were able able to sabotage the strike plus they av power and position which we lack.Let nurse start from loving themselves and having the interest of one another at heart.A lot of nurses don't like tbemselves.Theybcan do anything to pull one down and even boast about it.We really av a long way to go as nurses.Reason why I doubt if we can stay out of Johesu as some people r suggesting because nurses will leave the important things they will fight for and start fighting themselves,something they are well known for.I rest my case.
Oliobi Oranwa Nkem Felicity They will start fighting for caps and designers black shoe.... very annoying
Oliobi Oranwa Nkem Felicity One CNO told me that she will take my day off if I wear designed black shoe to work again... just imagine!
Iheanacho Gold N
I increased my knowledge in the aspect of nursing not being appreciated in Nigeria, so I SHOULD WORK HARD AND MOVE OUT OF HERE AND PRACTICE ABROAD. Yea!

Secondly, NANNM has got a lot to do.

Thirdly, I got some rest during the strike.

LASTLY, WHETHER NIGERIANS VALUE YOU OR NOT, DO YOUR JOB RIGHTLY AND YOUR WORK WILL SPEAK FOR YOU SOMEDAY.

LIFE CONTINUES!
Stella Peter Gold nwanyi nurse. It shall soon be well. All hands must be on deck to make it work. Work without faith...Nigerian nurses must arrive...
Manage
What do you expect in a country like Nigeria, when even the Senate president is a doctor, minister of health and other key position under health.
Nurses and Midwives need to be United, lack of confidence and low self esteem is killing the nursing profession, the change have to start from nursing and midwifery schools, the much punishment given to the students sometime make them to develop low self esteem, is as if Nurses don't have right , Nurses need to wake up on every side both political and in other aspects.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Elizabeth Ayanru Popoola
It has become evidently clear that doctors don't want our step up in salary in regards to the role nma played in this strike. It has been said let them do their work lets not give our selves as slaves to the doctors, our superior who tells the younger nurses to get stethoscope for doctors , get Biro for doctors hope u see clearly now. Our Superior who snap publicly to younger colleagues as if they are apprentice I tink if they change it may boost the ego of nurses. The younger ones are coming up they should be corrected with love. The younger colleagues who barely show respect as the ethics demand for superior colleague change ur ways, so that we show more love and respect to our selves before we expect respect from the doctors .above all let's know our onions in our finger tips let's not allow these upcoming doctors mislead us. Let's share knowledge, our superior wen the younger ones who are presently running programme share knowledge grab it. Let us all have a step up in our certificate since that's what Nigerians want. If the younger colleagues give due respect to their superior, and if the Superior accept the younger ones like colleagues nursing will get to a better dimension, and we will be valued and respected.
Precious Osauwagboe
Suspended for how long sir?! Suspension we know is another way of saying called off .my take on this is for us especially Nurses should change their sense of reasoninig first.they should know their worth that they are the heart of the hospital and be ready to stand up for your right as an individual and as a group.if you are bn place to manage more than ten patient in the ward pls go and make a complain asap,if you are harass by any doctor pls take the mattee up to your superior and if any superior try to support the doctor go and complain to a higer superior.lastly we nurses should know our duties what we are suppose to do and not to do enough of bedpan carrying we have ward assistance ,enough of disgracing your fellow nurse in front of a doctor instead of putting them through with love.now i guess we are now expose with this strike but let us start reformining our selves and also implementing our right status in the hospital and society.not all nuraes should be place on level 7. Let us stop condemning eachother.let us stop telling others about eachother.our superiors should start sheilding us instead of breaking us in front of others.one thing i like about drs they protect each other abd they have charisma that we lack.some nurses dont dress neatly they always look as if the problem of the world is on their head.let us add value by improving ourselves .let us start fighting against our rude attitude to patient due to stress by stopping one nurse to twenty patient.let us encourage the government to employ more staffs more hands so the work can be done smootly.let us stop fighting our graduate nurse instead let us welcome them and put them through just as we put drs through some procedure because they are our future for a better tomorrow.
Chidi Aligwe JP Well articulated.
Munir Idris We really learnt a lot , to me this strike taught us a big lesson in fact many nurses didn't know themselves they didn't know their enemies they were sleeping not thinking of ways of making themselves and their profession great ..but as a result of this strike they have started waking up from their slumber
Ibrahim D Gambo I learned that still johesu aren't United strong enough as it suppose to be, there're immature,brittle saboteurs weak and wickedness which because of that johesu will find it difficult to win any struggle.
Joy Nkem Onwubiko I learnt that nurses need to go into politics and make way for others. I also learnt that the house officer who I teach how to set line and interpret lab results for earns 3xy my salary. So he should do what he is paid for.
Chinelo Anorue
I learnt that nurses should fight for their right as a union and not depending on other unions to fight for them .
Nurses are the least paid among their contemporaries ,poor entry point,we should be more united than ever,our apex nurses should keep reminding the management that they are management staffs when it comes to hospital decision making not only during strike, Nurses should find something else to do to augment their salary ,NMA are the nation power when it comes to Nigeria health systemAbove all nurses should stop marrying .doctors because they are worst enemies and they hate us.I rest my case.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Onanuga Okere Abosede Abimbola
MORE WIN AHEAD!

Whichever way we see it, when we would resume eventually, we should all pls Jubilate victoriously without any sense of loss. Because surely this battle is a good one fought well. It is not all battles that are 100 or even 75% won. And this has given us at least, over 50%. Not merely in monetary terms, but more particularly in the following ways:
1) Public has been so much more enlightened on better images of other health workers apart from Drs.
2) Public now realizes that Nurses are so learned, even to PhD and Professorial levels.
3) The hard Matrix of Compulsory Leadership of health sector by ONLY DOCTORS has now been softened if not totally melted.
4) The Doctor-Ministers have been rendered incompetent to handle THIS particular strike, despite ALL THEIR THREATS. That was a big SLAP.
5) Now a Neutral Body has been allowed to SETTLE the crisis, to the shame of the biased and incompetent Ministers and FG.

So we should thank God for being on our side.

APRIL SALARY is already coming in, in some states. By or before Monday/Tuesday we would know how far with May's own. But it is sure to come.

*IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU HAVE FAILED, I HAVE NO RIGHT TO CALL YOU A FAILURE.*

Tell yourself "I MADE IT."
Let us all say "YEAH, WE HAVE TRIED, WE SHOOK THE GROUND, IGNORED THEIR THREATS AND WE WON AT LAST!"

Soon, we'll surely have more.

NOTE: The Strike may be SUSPENDED, but surely NOT CALLED OFF (Am sure we know the difference)

Aluta Continua.

Kunle Emmanuel Am so happy you share more positive and more benefits of the strike. Is an awakening call for nurses to prepare for another fight.
Maris Ngozi
Maris Ngozi This strike for me is wake up call for nurses. Now we have all seen the hidden secrets of the NMA now can we adjust ourselves? It's not late ,let every nurse get his/ her degree now ,that's the way forward now.
Nafisat Nadada It's true this strike has taught us many things, I just wish all this opinions of people shouldn't go to waste, NANNM and UGONSA should seize the opportunity to make the profession great. And enough of selfish interest please, we should remember that the way we lay our bed is how we lie on it. Even if you don't benefit from the good struggles your children will.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Ebinipre Meli It is a pity that we went to sit at home for nothing. We cannot stand the test of time. Hmmm shame to us
Chinelo Anorue All hope is not lost my dear.we are still hopeful
Precious Osauwagboe
Suspended for how long sir?! Suspension we know is another way of saying called off .my take on this is for us especially Nurses should change their sense of reasoninig first.they should know their worth that they are the heart of the hospital and be ready to stand up for your right as an individual and as a group.if you are bn place to manage more than ten patient in the ward pls go and make a complain asap,if you are harass by any doctor pls take the mattee up to your superior and if any superior try to support the doctor go and complain to a higer superior.lastly we nurses should know our duties what we are suppose to do and not to do enough of bedpan carrying we have ward assistance ,enough of disgracing your fellow nurse in front of a doctor instead of putting them through with love.now i guess we are now expose with this strike but let us start reformining our selves and also implementing our right status in the hospital and society.not all nuraes should be place on level 7. Let us stop condemning eachother.let us stop telling others about eachother.our superiors should start sheilding us instead of breaking us in front of others.one thing i like about drs they protect each other abd they have charisma that we lack.some nurses dont dress neatly they always look as if the problem of the world is on their head.let us add value by improving ourselves .let us start fighting against our rude attitude to patient due to stress by stopping one nurse to twenty patient.let us encourage the government to employ more staffs more hands so the work can be done smootly.let us stop fighting our graduate nurse instead let us welcome them and put them through just as we put drs through some procedure because they are our future for a better tomorrow.
Patience Nnabuife I learnt that we shd have something doing by d side to support this salary thing.
Ifeoma Ibeanuka Mefor I got a whole lot of rest and also learnt that nurses and other healthcare professionals are not appreciated hence I should intensify my efforts to leave this damned country.
Onome Ekpobadarho
Nursing o nursing!
This strike is an opener if we choose to open our minds. Our training institutions have some faulty foundation. Most churn out women having seasoned them with the overly respectful syndrome that even a lot of us can't stand up to opposition from doctors.
I learnt that you are not respected for your experience but knowledge from advance certificates like Bnsc upwards. That the public I serve every day needs to be educated on what I do uniquely. That I should strive to separate my self from the being a mental slave of ignorance and learn about what influences change at the corridors of power. Learn to have different stream of income as hunger awaits anyone who does not have full control over what he earns.
I learned to gained wisdom by watching the whole thing as a movie
Bashirat Abdulsalam - Oseni Nurse should step up n join politics
Njoku Celestine Chibuike
Please we should start politicing (politics) because we have all it takes to do such, imagine our beautiful nurses with their buttocks tell me the office they will enter and make a request that will not be granted to us. As for me, I will surely take nursing profession at a greater heights as Long as there's life, just take note of this day. Maybe I will cause a total resolution in the entirely health sector, we should be assuming political offices or appointment please my people. I'm crying deep in my heart about this profession, our able male nurses in oversees please let's come home and make nursing here (Nigeria) something to write home about. We know the game. God dey my people!!!
Judith Nzeuzor
It's time to be a radical and fanatical nurse, if there is anything like that and no more covering up of any doctor's lapses,from now all man for himself.now to love fellow nurses like never before.
Michael Blessing
My opinion is that nurses should go into politics n fight to attain position, is there we can have stand.
Zainab Abdulrazaq
I learnt that those nurses representing us are jus dia to watch not to fight for our right,, pls something should b done,since we are under one umbrella our entry point shud b d same.Nurses!Nurse!!!when will we start loving oursef
Dayyabu Ahmed Abubakar
But despite all these experiences, the strike is failure to us as person and the profession, now the minister of Doctors will pay April salary and the month of may he is insisting we didn't deserve it. My advice let go back to the drawing board and have integrated force right from our various units nation wide, love one another and carry each other along.
During this strike I observed something which very unfortunate our colleagues in academic(lecturals in the Dept of nursing sciences)
Are not involved in the struggle, even though I am fully aware that they are not under this umbrella but let them show solidarity and remember they remain as Nurses.
NANNM and NMCN have alot to do in terms of graduate nurses and non graduate nurses placement.
I don't see the reasons why that pharmacist, medical laboratories, physiotherapist etc spend the same 5years in the University the same duration of training with a graduate and place on CONHESS 7 OR 8, while others on CONHESS 9 -10.
may God make it easier for us as we work hard.
Maris Ngozi
This strike for me is wake up call for nurses. Now we have all seen the hidden secrets of the NMA now can we adjust ourselves? It's not late ,let every nurse get his/ her degree now ,that's the way forward now.
Queenet
Head Nurse
Head Nurse
Reactions:

Unread post by Queenet »

Reading all the above wanted to make me cry. Thank you for opening my eyes and mind.
"Changing how the world thinks about nursing".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic