Nigerian Nurses Should Never consider HCA (Healthcare Assistant) as Option to Work in UK

Advertise Nursing job vacancies all in one place. Feel free to post jobs, start discussions and network with other nursing/medical professionals.
Forum rules
We advise that job adverts posted are not verified. Kindly take caution before sending your details to the advertiser.

Never pay to apply for a job.
Queenet
Head Nurse
Head Nurse
Reactions:

Nigerian Nurses Should Never consider HCA (Healthcare Assistant) as Option to Work in UK

Unread post by Queenet »

FOR NURSES IN NIGERIA

DO NOT ACCEPT the option of going to the UK as a HCA (Healthcare Assistant) just to avoid doing IELTS and CBT in Nigeria and coming in as a nurse.

Do not fancy it, do not explore it.

It takes maximum of 3 months to qualify for your license here from when you arrive the UK if you do these exams at home and approach your OSCE fiercely on arrival.

It took me and a handful others just a month to do it, so it can even be done quicker innit?
Here, you would have bills to pay, if you get it wrong, you would hear nwii for a while, you would use your salary basically to service monthly bills for a long while before you find your footing and breathe.
You would regret that choice......e fit shock you.

The greatest pain would even come from seeing people who came after you become nurses in the same ward where you're a HCA.

Work here is intensive and you might not have enough time to study for exams, not while you're overloading yourself with work to make ends meet with band 2 paycheck.
Please pay attention and understand the point I'm trying to make here.
Take your time, starve yourself of both frivolities, rest and sleep and do these exams....
If you don't have money, call family meeting and put an offering box at the center.
Come in and become a band 5....start from there.

Don't settle!!!!!!!!
Why go for band 2 when you can be band 5 with more effort?
Why you?
Why not an Eliza?
You're a registered nurse in Nigeria, don't settle, don't stoop, go for the jugular!
If you intend to use the alternative route, I can't advice you, I have no tips for you.
I prepared for IELTS General and Academic in less than a month, did both in 2 weeks and passed.
It's not about knowing English ahead of time, it's actually about preparing for IELTS specifically, its tricks and tips and doing it.

I took it upon myself to share everything I know about the process and IELTS materials as soon as I qualified.
Don't give yourself excuses to cower, it's a painful process but you can do it.
Let HCAs move as HCAs and nurses as nurses and fight their way up the rungs from there.
Stay in your lane dear colleagues.

This message is for Nigerian registered nurses and no one else.
I love you dear colleagues and this is just your colleague sharing truth with you.
Keep your heads up, I know they call you ORDINARY NURSE in Nigeria, come out and settle where you're respected.
Your monthly salary will pay off and feed a handful of your current critics.
Go through the pain once and for all.

This is an unsolicited advice, you do not have to take it, IF YOU FEEL HCA route if YOUR BEST OPTION, WHO AM I?
CRACK ON WITH IT.

Apuom!!!
Ukabuilu Chuks
"Changing how the world thinks about nursing".
Queenet
Head Nurse
Head Nurse
Reactions:

Re: Nigerian Nurses Should Never consider HCA (Healthcare Assistant) as Option to Work in UK

Unread post by Queenet »

Ganiyat Taiye Mohammed Ajibade
Great advice
King Seraphina
Thanks dear and someone mentioned your name today
Keep up the good work sir
Olufunky Oshakz
Well, different strokes for different people. Personally I don't agree with this write up. Each to his or her own
Mmadueke Ngozi
Olufunky Oshakz why
Olufunky Oshakz
Mmadueke Ngozi I believe not only one road leads to the market. Do you have an idea of how many times some people had to take the IELTS before scoring the almighty 7? Don't let us Subject people to unnecessary hassles. You can continue to do your OET or IELTS when you're here because it becomes easier to get a sponsor to pay for your OSCE. You dint have to pay for it yourself. You'll pay back with employment arrangement. And if you dont want to go the way of OET and co, you can be lucky to get a job with NHS and enrol for the ongoing program for nursing refresher, when you're done,write the NMC exam and you can practice your nursing jejely.

It's a matter of starting. Before you know it, you're done. And remember, the govt isn't allowing Nigerian nurses come here for now, except if you've system your application earlier. So even if you get 8 for IELTS, your chances of coming here may be slim eventually.
For me, the aim is to leave Naija. Others will fall in place. HCA still earns their pay wella. For some people sef rats the only thing they do.
Like I said, it's up to you. But me o, I don't agree with this write up. It sounds so narrow minded and selfish to me
Jacky Dautaofzion
Olufunky Oshakz I’ve read through the write up and haven’t seen any narrow mindedness or selfishness as you’ve deduced… Abi I no dey see well ni?

When a person isn’t able to pass in nija after several attempts, is it in the UK you want to come and pass it? With the “mad” workload here… haba, let’s tell ourselves the truth!

You mentioned “you can be lucky to get NHS job”… how can you come over to mortgage your chances to “luck”🙁
Ok, let’s say you’re “lucky” to gain the NHS employment, do you know how long it’ll take to get enrolled in the so called “nursing refresher program “???

Meanwhile, you’re still a band 2 oh… band 5 salary sef is hardly enough to sustain you and your family…
The message in the write up is “Don’t settle for less”!!!

Nurses, come in as nurses and HCA, come as HCA!!!
I know government policies change as per immigration and all, for now, as far as I know, no govt is restricting Nigerian nurses from migrating! I don’t know your source of info tbh.

Don’t come and develop mental health problems when you see other nurses as band 5, you in band 2 struggling with bills. A word is enough for the wise!!!
IELTS Is just a technical exams… once you understand and apply it’s technicalities, you’ll pass! Gather materials, Give time to study, get a good tutor…
Olufunky Oshakz
Jacky Dautaofzion I have told you what i know. It is left for individuals to make their choices. Not mine not yours to make for them.
First, many people are leaving NHS I don't know if you're aware of that. This is due to them refusing vaccination. Alot of gaps happening now. I work with a Trust so I know what I am saying. Its not difficult to get NHS jobs so long you have the prerequisites. And for a trained Naija nurse, sis or bros (not sure which one now) it's not difficult. That nurse apprenticeship program is not that difficult. This country doesn't make things had like Naija o.

Are you aware also that covid nurses recruited from Ghana many of them left because they were not given automatic registration? They thought they will get. Some of them are doing HCA job. I am working with them. They're reading to write exams. They're working They're reading. Which workload nah when you know your target? Is it not patapata 12 hour shift? Don't we drill go to school here? They will pass. Thats it.

Also, since its like you're in the UK take the pain today to call any agency that's recruiting oversea nurses and ask them about bringing nurses from Naija. Come here and tell us there responses pls. Except of that policy had changed yesterday o, I have tried to assist some nurses here last year, they dint even consider them so I know what I am saying. About 46 countries had been removed from the list from where nurses should come to the UK. So if you even pass IELTS now, and you hadn't started your registration before baba Buhari govt started that madness, your chances are slim. Very slim. I have friends I am working with. So check online too. Information is everywhere.

If you want to make your journey faster, come and do MSc here. Then you write your test and do osce. Then you're better off.
Which workload go make you not read or pass exam? We all go to school here now and pass. That's band 2 salary is between £10 & 11/ hour. You will only live within your means and face tour front since you have a target. There are husband and wives here who only live on that as a family. You can even do another 2 shifts elsewhere to add some more £.
For me, I don't like restrictions and I explore every available opportunity to take me to my destination. So don't say because you're a nurse you can't explore. There are many ways to become a nurse in the UK, not only by attending Uni. There are many apprenticeship now for people here but unfortunately not many people know it.
Like I said, the decision is not yours or kine, its theirs. Make your findings and decide what to do.
Blessings
Like I said, each to his own.
Olufunky Oshakz
Jacky Dautaofzion also, please be aware they're not HCA. They are senior HCA on band 3 not 2. Many of them are working with nurses as well. Senior HCA do medication depending if you work in a home. And that won't even be £10. In one home I know, they enrol their staff who ate willing to train as nurses. They start with nursing assistant jobs. These are people who are not even trained nurses o.
Basically it's a matter of choice.
Sulaiman Wunmi Medinat
Jacky Dautaofzion I salute you.May God bless you for the truth
Queenet
Head Nurse
Head Nurse
Reactions:

Re: Nigerian Nurses Should Never consider HCA (Healthcare Assistant) as Option to Work in UK

Unread post by Queenet »

Fadeke Matem
Olufunky Oshakz nurses from other countries start as HCA until they pass their Osce. You don't have to bring your families immediately, be focus on your target, enroll for ielts and keep going.
Like you said, it's a matter of choice.
Struggle in uk rather than in Nigeria.
Victoria Abbas
Olufunky Oshakz You seem to have information but most of it is from your experience which is currently incorrect and unapplicable. Your migration as an HCA in the past may have been stress-free, but it is a good virtue to tell the truth to others and allow them to make their choice/decision since everyone will live with the consequences of their action.

Let me say this,
1. No NHS is recruiting HCA from overseas because they cannot justify the reason to home office. I have people who applied, got the job but denied visa because there is a test an employer must satisfy the home office employer residency test: that they are unable to recruit for that post before giving a foreigner.

2. For the mere fact that you came in as an HCA does not mean the same terms still exist, UK immigration rules are dynamic. To buttress this, most employers advertising for senior carers wants domiciliary carers/carers, not nurses. These people work from 6am to 9pm daily, forget the 40hrs on the contract, travelling from one client house to the other and get paid stipends that can't even pay rent, if not for their spouse who supplements by working. I have people in this situation, we talk daily, so i know. They have no time for family, talk less of reading for anything.

3. These employers wants carers, NOT nurses, so you can't change your contract when you pass Ielts or cbt.

4. You pay at least 10k pounds if you terminate contract before 3 years, in case you decide to leave.

5. They will not pay your visa, flight, refund cbt and OET /IELTS, they will not give any accommodation free, they will not pay for your OSCE exam and training(up to two sittings), all these are privileges that people who came in as nurses enjoys. They are not obliged to, they will only give you a certificate of sponsorship. Instead, carers will show proof of funds running into millions of naira, go through the rigors of searching accommodation themselves and pay double payment for deposit.

6. You are entirely at the mercy of your employer, no trade union to join.

7. Your information about not recruiting from Nigeria is absolutely wrong. The fact is: there is no direct recruitment from redlist countries which means, agencies cannot go and bring candidates directly from such countries, BUT , individuals are applying by themselves and getting jobs daily in multiple droves. I run a platform that assist nurses with their application and interview to UK, not less than 200 has migrated in the last 2 years from Nigeria from my group. Infact, 2 people landed yesterday, 1 person in transit as we speak, all from Nigeria, so your statement is misleading.

My conclusion: People, please, come in as a nurse. Study the technicalities of IELTS /OET and come in please. However, everyone has a choice to make BUT remember, you will live with the consequences of your actions. By this post, I am not implying that you should come in as a nurse or senior carer/HCA, I am simply laying the cards on the table, in support of the originator of this thread, by all means, make your decision. Thank you.
Queenet
Head Nurse
Head Nurse
Reactions:

Unread post by Queenet »

Olufunky Oshakz
I have just seen that this is more like a business post. Some people here are using their social media to sell IELTS and they know when nurses have other routes of entry, business is beginning to spoil. Nigerians! They will never do a thing without a selfish ulterior motive.
Do not allow anyone give you fake half baked information. Anyway you go out of this country is OK so long you've not killed or defrauded anybody. Come and ask me my story. I am a living example. If I can do it you too can.
Happy new week
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic