Nurses in Nigeria must settle for BNsc

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

Nurses in Nigeria must settle for BNsc

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

NURSING EDUCATION IN NIGERIA

The Nursing Profession and Nurses in Nigeria must settle for the Bsc / BNsc. The fact is that, the present curriculum of nursing education in Nigeria is adequate for award of nursing degree with little modification. The first step is for all Nigerian nurses to stop enrolling in any Institution awarding HND or its equivalent for nursing, remove nursing education from the civil servant leave system and adopt the semester system. Nursing political leaders, nurse educators and administrators must negotiate the content and duration of the course for the nurses holding diploma presently to be awarded degree in line with internationally accepted standard ( In many universities in Ireland it is one year duration) The requirement for new entrance must be in line with global standard because nursing education is not of domestic importance alone.

Nurses Unions and affiliated associations must embark on 'aggressive' public enlightenment campaign directed towards fresh school certificate leavers and their parents to boycott any institution offering HND for nursing.( Diploma is no more internationally accepted and it promote professional inferiority). Nurses must work together in this direction to achieve success.

This is our profession and we must not allow anybody no matter how highly placed or influential to systematically make our profession inferior to others else where in the world. Please continue with the debate and share generously.

Thank you for your time.

Anthony Oluwasegun Akinse
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

Re: Nurses in Nigeria must settle for BNsc

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

Mr. Akinse I really agreed with you. I have stayed in the state of Texas for almost 13 years. When I presented my diploma certificate to the board of nursing, I was instructed to send it to an evaluator. It was evaluated and was equivalented to associate degree in nursing. Until when I stated my degree in nursing at university of Phoenix I realized the important of my diploma in nursing.

In about 7 years ago I went to Texas Women University for a seminar that I realized that diploma in nursing before in the state is more than associate degree and I was told by one of the professor that before, if u have diploma in nursing you can go for master in nursing as a nursing practitioner . By the time I applied they just stopped the program. The fortunate thing was I met one of my post graduate classmate that went through the course in year 2002 and is just 2 years and most of the courses are repeated according to her.

Thing can only happen in Nigeria if the old man and old woman are shaped or push into the corner or grave. Transcripts of nursing from Nigeria, they still put pass in all the courses. Great nurses! We need to wake up. Like the new courses that was introduced to nursing in US like master or doctorate in nursing informative.

Adedoyin Yinka Olugbemiga
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic