ONLINE PETITION: Upward Review of Fees by The NMCN

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

ONLINE PETITION: Upward Review of Fees by The NMCN

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

When the Nursing and midwifery council of Nigeria had in April 2011 issued a notice on upward review of fees and charges, i wrote an article to awaken Nigerian nurses to why we need to start demanding accountability. Again I am fighting the urge to write to the chief accountant at the nursing and midwifery council of Nigeria to furnish me and the Nigerian nursing community a detailed financial report on the running of the nursing and midwifery council of Nigeria. A request I hope would be granted within 7 working days under section 1 of the freedom of information (FOI) act 2011, and I hope I wouldn't have to the extra mile to seek an order of court to compel them to disclose this info within 14 days of my request.

On facebook, twitter and other social medias, Nigerian nurses grumbled and swore to resist this increment back then in 2011. Their cries never got past their facebook walls and groups. Four years later after our seemingly flat disposition we are hit with another astronomical increment. This is unacceptable! We must take a stand. Nurses are the largest number of health care professionals and until we leverage on our numbers to effect the change we seek and demand accountability from our leaders, things would remain the same.

The Council introduced the MCPDP where nurses in most states like lagos pay upto 30,000naira (MCPDP for leaders), What happens to all these funds?. The council never thought to ask how nurses slaving in private hospitals in owerri and who earn 16,000naira a month could afford to pay for mcpdp and the new license renewal fees or how the unemployed nurses in abia state would survive. How about the MSS Midwives who have been owed for over 5 months now?

How about efficiency in service delivered, am talking paid service? it takes the council ages to issue licenses for which it has always blamed on a faulty machine. This is totally unacceptable. That a nurse would pay for a license renewal in february 2013 and would not get it till probably march 2014. In its insensitivity, the council would still charge the license to read February 2013 - February 2015, This is fraudulent since the said license had been in the council's possession for over months. Must we continue to foot their deficiencies and inefficiencies?

There is practically nothing on ground to show an active nursing council at play in Nigeria. The profession is overrun with quacks and auxiliary nurses. How many successful prosecution has the council made in terms of fighting this stench killing the profession. How has the council used the funds we generate to initiate legal battles against these quacks

With the proliferation of schools of nursing in every corner of Nigeria, how has the council judiciously used the funds they milk from these schools through indexing, exam applications, registration fees. What happens to the fees it accrues form post basic registration and examination charges.

Nursing is a predominantly female profession, thus when nurses get married they must pay 5,000naira now N8,750 for change of name, do the maths yourself and guess how many nurses got married from April 2011 when they increased this fee till now and whom would need to process a change of name with the council! I refuse to "SIDDON LOOK", So much monies, yet so many questions!

How about the droves of Nigeria nurses leaving the country on a daily basis either for greener pastures or for educational purposes. They leave because in Nigeria nurses are unappreciated, overworked and grossly underpaid. Those that leave for educational reasons do so because there are not enough universities offering BSC Nursing or masters in nursing. what happens to all the money the council makes from verification of certificates for institutions abroad and employers which now would cost N8,750 per certificate. Should i want to verify my certificates (RN, RM, RAEN) Now, i have to cough up N26,250. Have you been carrying your license around lately, please don't because if you lose it you coughing up N10,500.

A look at the federal ministry of health budget for 2012 reveals the nursing and midwifery council got 381,513 347 for total personnel cost, 6,715,021 for total overhead cost, 388,228,368 for total recurrent and 56,168,174 for total capital. Compare this to the 2014 budget proposal where the council gets N398,419,922 for total allocation. Somebody needs to ask how, when and where is all of this spent.

I don't know about you. But i refuse to sit and watch. I refuse to wait on NANNM to "hopefully" decry this obnoxious increment. I am taking a stand and we must in one loud voice demand accountability and call for a halt in the implementation of these new charges.

D.C. Ikejiaku the deputy director finance and accounts in the council had said these increments was to support the promotion and maintenance of excellence in nursing education and practise in Nigeria. this is pure fallacy.

Nursing internship would promote nursing practise in nigeria. Upgrade of schools of nursing to colleges and affiliation of schools of nursing with universities would promote nursing practise not an astronomical insensitive increment. Redeeming our battered image by the media through advocacy and/or fighting the menace of quacks are all ways to promote the profession.

We live in an amazing time, when the opportunity to make a difference is greater than ever before. Technology has made us more connected than ever. We can make the council and the ministry of health more responsive and accountable.

http://www.change.org accelerates this dramatic shift by making it easier to make a difference, and by inspiring everyone to discover what's possible when they stand up and speak out. I urge you today to Choose to make a difference. Please sign our on-line petition to Prof Onyebuchi Chukwu, the honourable minister of health. it would only take 2 minutes of your time.

Take a stand NOW and remember "our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter". Click the link below to sign and lend your voice to this crusade. We need 10,000 signatures to get the Minister to acknowledge our appeals against this increment.

The change you seek begins with YOU.

JUDE Nwaobi (BNSc,RN,RM,RAEN) is a fellow of the west African college of nursing and founder Nursingworld Nigeria.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE ONLINE PETITON NOW ON http://WWW.CHANGE.ORG
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
artmuz52
Reactions:
Years of practice: 2

Re: ONLINE PETITION: Upward Review of Fees by The NMCN

Unread post by artmuz52 »

I thank you for the information! I was looking for and could not find. You helped me!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic