What was your most unforgettable experience in your career?

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Sister Ngozi
Reactions:
Years of practice: 10

What was your most unforgettable experience in your career?

Unread post by Sister Ngozi »

Nurses! What was your most unforgettable experience in your career?
Sister Ngozi
Reactions:
Years of practice: 10

Re: What was your most unforgettable experience in your care

Unread post by Sister Ngozi »

One of my very first patients as a student was an elderly lady who nurses told was grouchy and problematic before I went to meet her. They also said that she refused to eat more than a few bites from her tray. It was breakfast time so I was to go checkto see if she was eating this morning. With what the nurses told me about her in mind, I went trepidilly to meet her. I came into the room and was immediately berated by her. Not letting it phase me I sat beside her and discovered she had eggs all over her gown, so I watched her try and eat for a minute and she was shaking so badly the food would not stay on her spoon. So I helped to feed her and she ate the whole tray and asked for more! Her demeanor quickly changed towards me and she was sweet as could be. The poor thing was probably starving and the nurses just wrote her off as being difficult and noncompliant. I went back and told that nurse that she wasn't refusing to eat but she needed assistance. I promised myself I would never be that type of nurse who just writes a patient off. :mrgreen:
Maupe
Reactions:
Years of practice: 2

Unread post by Maupe »

Had a pt that told me she was going home the next day. Nothing mentioned in chart. I said you are and she replied yes but not the home you think. I asked her if she meant heaven she said yes and the next day she did pass away. Something's can't be explained.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

I was on a dying client for over an hour. Before taking his last breath HE said "I know you have tried, God bless you". I always share tears anytime I remember the sweet words.
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic