Why should Husband require to give consent before surgery

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Sister Nadi
Reactions:
Years of practice: 19

Why should Husband require to give consent before surgery

Unread post by Sister Nadi »

This issue of husbands giving consent to carry out surgeries on their wives in Nigeria, who started it?
Is it just another manifestation of the patriarchal system/breadwinner syndrome?
What's your experience?
Action is the foundamental key to all success
Sister Nadi
Reactions:

Re: Why should Husband require to give consent before surgery

Facebook Comments
Oluwayomi Deborah Omojoye Adediji
Honestly, I don't know where they got that nonsense from.
Olagunju Taiwo Bolatito
Oluwayomi Deborah Omojoye Adediji we don't usually see hubby around during delivery these days.
Augusta Chinasa
Is only a decision.If u r conscious,u should do that urself
Thaddeus Aina
It is bcos na the husband go pay for the surgery. As long as the wife is not a single lady
Thaddeus Aina , how do you know the money meant from the surgery is from the husband?
Olagunju Taiwo Bolatito
Thaddeus Aina from my little experience in labor room 70% of husbands of Abeokuta won't pay a dime I shld kuku say they are "irresponsible"
Sister Nadi
Reactions:

Muhammed Suwaiba Ayitonu
The husband is the closest to the wife.if it is an emergency and they live far away from her parent.thay will spell doom ..I am Totaly not against this law.
Muhammed Suwaiba Ayitonu no law stated it.
Tolulope Oyedotun-Agboire
Not all husbands are close to their wives,let the woman decide who signs her consent it's her body not the husband..
Sophia Amayo Agunu
The patient gives consent if conscious and if unconscious, closest family member have to do that which in most cases is the hu
sband if married.
Adene Ese
It is just professionals not doing the right thing. It is good to counsel them together but only if the client (permits) and only she should give a consent unless she has been deemed incompetent to give or the husband has her power of attorney
Abiodun Habibat
Gone are the days where we av husband sign consent form... Where I work the wife is advice to sign the form while husband/relatives can witness bcos she own her body
Ade Adejoke
Not even only wives, children also suffers the fate
Olagunju Taiwo Bolatito
Where I work, the patient if conscious will sign and if she's not close or available family member
Tolulope Oyedotun-Agboire
We lost a colleague due to this ! it was pathetic!
Sister Nadi
Reactions:

Aderonke Adekunle
Almost happened to me when I wanted to have emergency CS for my first baby, the Doctor was asking for my husband at 3am to sign consent form, I simply asked him if the pregnancy he wants to operate on was with my husband or me, I told him I'm more than 21 years old and therefore an adult. Case closed. I signed for and by myself. Once the patient is an adult and conscious, I see no reason why she can't sign. But it's almost always because the Man will be expected to pick up the bills.
Thaddeus Aina
Correct. The bill is the main reason not age matter. Women don't like to pick bills
Aderonke Adekunle
Thaddeus Aina , ignorant women
Toparz Temi
I believe everywhere no matter the clime, it says next of kin which in most cases husbands or wives can sign off on surgeries to be carried out...If either of them is unavailable then the individual if conscious enough can sign and if not left to the Surgeon's discretion in the best interest of the patient.
Petro Ngozi Phill
As long as you are conscious you will need to sign the conscent and not your husband. What a nonsense practise in This 22nd century. What if you refuse to consent and your husband agrees will the procedure still continue? Am just asking.
Chisom Ndubuisi-Ochulor
If the woman is conscious and above 18 she is supposed to sign her by law but society has influenced medical practice that’s why they ask the man first.I guess bcos he will pay the bills too.If the system is well structured medical bills shouldn’t be a problem and poeple will do the right thing.
Chinenye Charity
And that was how one gave consent for a surgery to be done on his presumed wife, only to find out later that the lady is married to a man based abroad while the man that brought her unconscious is the Side Cock who got her pregnant.
The woman had ruptured Ectopic pregnancy......Chooiiii.
It was war.
Esther Ayodele Sampson
If the patient is conscious and an adult, she can sign except if she is the one that wants her husband or any other family member to sign on her behalf based on their relationship but not medico- legally.
Ugochi Oparaocha
There is No Legal Maximum To This,If Patient Walk in and Very Conscious He or She Gives The Consent Except Otherwise That is Unconscious or Inchorent
Abodunde Olusayo Josephine
Our women caused it,even when they are in critical condition they still wait for their husbands to sign because he will pay the bill,and some stupid husband will come and say let me call my parents before signing,I wonder kind of mentality they have
Foluke Aishat
Abodunde Olusayo Josephine some will say l want to call my pastor
Nwabunwanne Juliet Chikodi
Abodunde Olusayo Josephine na pastor some husband dey call for my unit too oooo
Amarachi Maryclaret
Mostly this era those women who knows very well that is their life at risk not husband gives consent without husband, we only inform husband but not to wait for him.
Ib Ugochi
Its everywhere. They just need somebody else standby incase of resuscitation but still the person going under the knife if cognitive has the final say.
Clara Clifford
It must'nt be the husband, patient has right to sign consent except if not conscious
Modupe Enitan
HuSband signing consent form for an adult female in her right state of mind is just ridiculous.It is definitely partriachy.then you have the pastors saying no to the woman that needs the surgery,in-laws will also say no.Like her life is not her own again.I can’t just phantom it.Happens only in Nigeria sha.Nurses should educate female clients about their rights to sign for their own surgery.
Naomi Okonobo Endurance
It is brazen ignorance on both sides (practitioners and patients)
Enobong Akpan
That's how a woman loss her baby because of waiting for the husband to come and sign consent for C/S to be carried out on her.
Onyebuchi Agbodike Obiaga
Women should take responsibility for their own lives, this idea of waiting for husbands to take decisions for matters concerning their lives should stop. A lot of women have lost their lives doe to this issue.
Sister Nadi
Reactions:

Umar Mustapha Dikwa
It is very simple, the consent form read ( next of kin), than who to sign depend on the situation at hand. In ideal situation it will be sign either by the parents, brother or sister, children or preparably by the husband. Signing is one thing while incase of eventuality what follows the surgery is another.
Pinaere Hope Digitemie
If am in my right senses,I wunt wait for someone to do it for me,I will kiakialy sign cos it's my life,God will tak charge of de rest
Abana Ebubechukwu
I signed my consent form joor. Am I less than 18.
Amah Chigozie
If a woman is up to 18 years according to Nigerian Law,for Go sake,she has to take decisions without any interference of so called Husband, its your live we are talking about ,please do ,you came to this world alone All right
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic