Assaulted Nurses Federal Medical Center Asaba

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

Assaulted Nurses Federal Medical Center Asaba

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

This is an archived post from our Facebook group forum.

Two nurses were yesterday reported to have been assaulted at the Federal Medical Center Asaba on Sunday the 9th of July 2017 by some unknown men who accompanied a distrught father between 8 and 9pm. This attack was said to have brought the all activities in the hospital to a stand still for about 3 hours. Reports also state that the police/civil defence men on duty at the hospital were said to have left the nurses to their fate as the stayed away. Nurses also give management 72hr to act before they down their tools. There would be a crucial meeting with the top management board today the 11th of July, 2017 concerning this event that occurred.

The story as narated to our correspondent stated as follows that:
A woman rushed into the children emergency unit in the hospital premises with a boy aged about 1yr 4months. She reported that her child had screamed after she had bathed him then began to convulse.

The Nurses on Duty noted that there were no signs of life on the little boy (DOA/BID) but still accepted the patient due to the distraught nature of his mother and began CPR with the HO and Reg present.

The reg later certified the boy dead after circles of CPR and Breaths given with no return of spontanous circulation "ROSC".

The report went on to say that the father was waiting downstairs while all this was happeneing, on hearing that his son was actually dead he came up and took the corpse away without buying a card.

About twenty minutes later he came back in company of 10 men who were shouting 'this boy is still alive' who said that the boy is dead. Ranting that they would kill all the nurses and doctors manning the hospital.

The doctors on ground were said to have taken to their heels leaving the nurses alone in the saga.

The hoodlums who came wit the Father of the deceased went as far as making various attempts at removing the nasal prungs from a baby on oxygen in the ICU, all the while screaming that they would kill all the babies in the unit in retaliation, even the baby that the medical personels were about to have transfused was left alone for over an hour due to the fracas.

The female nurse was said to have been surrounded by some men who were throwing her around and threatening her while the other ones were beating and slapping the male nurse. The male nurse was able to use a chair to defend himself by smashing it on the individual who was assaulting him and luckily for him, his assailant fell and before others could rush in on him the male nurse was able to escape to call on the hospitals security men for help to save the female nurse. Surprisingly the nurse recounted that the secrurity men on ground refused to budge from their seats there by leaving the nurses to carry their cross. One of the ADNs of the state was called as ths was happening and she came with 2 men to save to attempt to save her Nurses.

The Nurses of FMC Asaba had at yesterday given the Management of the Facility 72 hours to act before they down tools in protest.
Meanwhile reports say that the States NANNM is aware of what occured and has visited the unit to show their concern. Our source reports that presently the management is said to have put in place plans to provide burglary proof doors and windws at the entrance with at least two unarmed security at the doors. They have also promised to increase the number of the civil defense corps in the unit to prevent such from every occuring again.
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

Re: Assaulted Nurses Federal Medical Center Asaba

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

Nneka Okafor This assaults is gaining momentum. How do we protect ourselves? Maybe learning martial arts like karate and judo isn't a bad idea now.
Princess Ngozi Madukasi Na wa oooo. God help nurses
Akpuche Obiswt Adanne All I know is if am on duty and anything is abt to be violent ,ma dear nurses I run cos If anything happens NANMN will just forget u after one minute silent if they will..... Abeg protect urself first ,this is naija...

Amodu Ajoke God Pls help dis profession. It's becoming alarming rate at which assault is been made at nurses
Olayemi Aduke Something must be done ASAP to protect nurses, we can't continue this way. God forbid, what if the assaulted nurse lost her life? JUSTICE MUST BE DONE,THEY MUST NOT GO SCOTT FREE
Alice Ayinmiro Where I work most times I don't put on uniform(which our superiors who do not guarantee our safety are not happy about) bcos it is an assault prone environment so you see the wahala start, I 'll just safely join patient relations dey look how e go be, after the deed had been done dey wan beef up security if to say d nurse don die nko? I beg make we all learn to protect ourselves wen on duty. God go continue to protect us.
Toyin Oritogun Bello My slogan as a Nurse is "safety first". Dear Nurses, please learn how to protect yourself in any violence situations. You are accountable for your life and no one will do that once you are dead. Also, our uniforms been white is not helpful when it comes to the situation like this. NANMN should please see to this.
Emmanuel Ndubukwu Fmc nurses and doctors have non chalant attitude to work. It was due to d delay on d path of d doctors to attend to dat child on time dat led to his death. Do u know dat even d so called fmc consultant come to work once in a week. most especially every Tuesdays. Infact, "THERE WAS A COUNTRY".
Joy Ginika Ngwu That is what happens when we "Nurses" always protect the patients with our life,,(which I think should be to a limit) imagine the Doctors fleeing for their lives,& they still get all the credits at the long run, but the Nurse remained even though her life is threatened. I think we should put our safety first sometimes because our lives are important too. May God continue to protect us
Victoria Joseph What nonsense! Please lets down tools and teach them sanity ...foolish people...are medical people to be blame for the death of his son? Management concern should act fast!
Nnadozie Nkem In the course of saving lives, Nurses tends to be the victims of hospital crisis. Long live the Nursing profession. ##amproud#tobe#anurse#
Jelili Afusat Hmmmm! This assault of a thing is becoming rampart on nurses, we need to be prayerful
Kenny Ojebisi Olayinka My fellow nurses protect yourself because our NANNM has nothing to loose oooo but our families .
Rosemary Segine Ikhafo God help us nurses, in situation like this run for your safety if not you will end up receiving slap or assault free of charge
Jennifer Aliche Oriaku Nurses again? This humiliation and assualts on nurses should b addressed. Pls lets learn to protect ourselves first.
Nneamaka Okeke Obi This really happened in this our Asaba, Acton need to be taken to combat Assault.
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic