Long shifts, overtime, night shifts and high-acuity patients are only a few of the reasons nursing can become both physically and mentally exhausting. Make a commitment to try at least one of the following tips in the upcoming week.
• Go to bed at least 30 minutes to 1 hour earlier the nights before your shift.
• Make it a point to compliment two co-workers every shift.
• Schedule a PTO/vacation day just for yourself, GUILT FREE. You work hard, you deserve it! Believe it or not, the building will still stand if you take a day off.
• Pack your lunch and snacks to work for a week. Plan to eat something every four hours, no matter how busy it is. Having it with you and available is the key.
• Take 10 minutes a day to read or study something. It can be for learning or leisure. Read a professional article, a chapter in a book, a devotion, etc.
It is so easy to become overwhelmed with the chaos of work, school, families, ball games and so on. The result is we often neglect our own health and well-being to care for others. The reality is taking care of ourselves first will allow us to empower and serve as better role models to those around us