This is coming after a Congress which was attended by nurses, SEC and SAC members within and outside the hospital to deliberate on the line of action. Comrade Awojide, the Lagos State Chairman of the National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives Lagos chapter declared that an industrial action should commence immediately in order to press home the nurses demands.
The Nurses cited the following grievances with their management.
Outstanding 2015 promotion exercise result, the nurses noted that 71 Nurses were denied promotion from CONHESS 12 - 13 (ACNO - CNO) using BNSC as a criteria for promotion, claiming this negates the scheme of service for nurses in Nigeria. According to them, this decision is to stagnate Nurses on CONHESS 12 which negates the judgement of the National Industrial Court on non-skipping as conveyed by the circular with reference No HCSF/EPO/EIR/637551/TI/192 dated 4th November 2013.
Other issues cited include:
Change of LUTH Nurses nomenclature: Nurses with BNSC Nursing were promoted from CONHESS 12 - 13 and designated as Assistant director in Nursing service (ADNS) instead of ChieF Nursing Officer (CNO), Which is contradictory to what was done in other Federal Health Institutions in Nigeria.
- - Non-payment of newly employed Nurses salary
- Lack of consumables e.g. dressing materials, lotion, gloves, syringes and needle
- Inadequate/obsolete equipments
- Inadequate man power
- Irregular water and power supply
- Non-payment of teaching allowance
- Poor staff welfare
- Non-payment of 2013, 2014, 2015 promotion arrears
- Non-payment of 2010 uniform allowance/balance of 2015 uniform allowance
- Stagnation of Nurses
- Introduction of Bi-shift for Nurses
- Employment of contract staff (Nurses)
More update to follow as we get them