Are we still doing our nursing procedure?

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

Are we still doing our nursing procedure?

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

Dear colleagues, Its high time we woke from our slumber, its time for us to get on our toes, we re gradually loosing our face in the medical sector and we are becoming less relevant to our patients. You know why? We have left all our procedures, in some hospitals, midwives aren't allowed to palpate routinely, catetherization was taken from us, passage of nasogstric tube is a forgone issue, giving of IV drugs is an abomination. Bed bathing, bedpan service are taboos for us, what then are we doing for our patients? God help us all.

Taiwo Agbede-Ariyo
Copied discussion from facebook group forum
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: Are we still doing our nursing procedure?

Gbenga-ige Bola
May God help us. nursing care plan is the song we are singing now
Benjaa Osolife: Report writing and vital signs...
Awoniyi Iyabode Opatoyinbo Blessing
In most federal teaching hospitals, most of these things are in practice ; during ANC nurses are only given the grace of checking vital signs and line patients up to be seen and palpated by the doctors, intravenous lines should never be set by a nurse, anesthetic nurses are on the hang and so many things of such denying nurses of the opportunity to exercise what we are trained for. Something just got to be done.
Prisca Vwaire Uti: Who then give IV medication, serve bedpan and and bed bathing?
Oluwayomi Deborah Omojoye Adediji: To be Candid, Serving of Bedpan and Bed Bathing are no more RN duties. RN supervises HCA to perform those duties. As for others, everything lies on policy.
Adedeji Adeniyi
All these things are being done by nurses in some hospitals. Though I just heard about things being turned upside down among nurses in onto state. Might really also be so in so many state hospitals but in the real sense of it why won't nurses be giving iv injections in the state when nurses give in teaching hospitals? Why can't nurses palpate when they were trained and certified as midwives? I thing we should go back to the drawing board where ever such things happen and figure out where the problem emanated from amd find everlasting solution to it before posterity begins it's judgement.
Bukola Oginni-Daramola even when we have the opportunity to do so, some of us are fond of shifting the aforementioned to doctors in the name of "it is not our duty"
Prisca Vwaire Uti @bukola may God bless you.During hand/take over you will hear things like...due medications not served;no line.We keep waiting for doctors to set line even if we are been allowed to do so
Akerele-Sosina Semiloore Patricia Nurses I think we have to be honest with ourselves... I will say the truth... those things are taken from nurses in some hospital because of some nurses incompetency..... I will give you a scenario.... I was in a teaching hospital NICU... and I counted a premiee respiration. ..... it was 10c/min.... then I went to check the nurses report book and I realized that they've been documenting 40-50 c/min.... I discovered that the doctors do check the vitals themselves and document in the medical card... and the respiration counted started from 6-8 cycles and with my 10 that I counted it showed the child was improving..... that's not all... then won't let the nurses constitute fluids.... I was ashamed of myself when we asked a nurse in NICU to tell about resuscitaire.... she could not..... even the incubator they keep the babies.... now tell me how what kind of procedure is left for those nurses.. to do.... in fact I can go on and on..... let's face the fact... Nurses in teaching hospital or any hospital at all need to sit tight and reclaim their glory
Adelu Haneefah @ Nrs Akerele, thanks for hitting the nail on the head. Nurses should try and improve on themselves, but it's actually pathetic for an experienced certified midwife to wait for a HO to come and palpate at ANC, I wonder what nurses even do these days in the hospital, we are living in past glory cos our value is depreciating cos we've given our birth rights and duties to the dogs. It's high time a new and positive revolution came up. When the staff nurses aren't allowed to perform their duties claiming they are for Drs, how will the upcoming nursing generation learn those procedures?
Kemi Bello Ameh I thank God in this forum that some Nurses tells the truth as it is. we like bringing baseless issues to be discuss when from our heart of heart we know we are the problem. The remaining procedures we are left to do how well have we done them,we will be busy writing stereotype reports,a nurse on evening duty has already completed report writing by 5pm because compound nurse will be angry if not ready then & that's all that matter to her during those period other duties only God knows. I can go on & go the key word is professionalism & not drawing a battle line. I still know some so called doctors that will still leave some procedure for some nurses because they have great competence in them but some they will have to recheck vital signs & fluid balance sheet as some nurses still don't know how to do that & to crown it up let nurses come & express themselves in English either verbally or write up we will all agree that we need to work on ourselves greatly.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: Are we still doing our nursing procedure?

Akerele-Sosina Semiloore
Patricia Nurses it's so annoying that some nurse in government established hospitals are worst than auxiliary the nurses. I have witnessed a lots of terrible things done by nurses to our patient.
Can you imagine a nurse documenting medication she did not administer?
Can you imagined nurses after taking over the first thing that comes to their mind is writing the nursing report book that should be written 1hr or 30 minutes before the end of their shift thereby neglecting a patient in critical need?
Can you imagined nurses in emergency departments neglecting their emergency roles to selling packs to patient?
Can you imagined patients wound not dressed as stated thereby prolonging patient stay in the hospital?
Can you imagine nurses fabricating vitals? I can go on and on.....have witnessed alots of crazy things been done by nurses both in government and private hospital. My dears some nurses need to be litigated in Nigeria maybe that will instill some discipline into us.
Christy Uzoeri Honestly
I am glad these discussion is going on. Nurses themselves are the problem we are facing in the profession especially the senior redundant colleagues who are part of the decision making bodies and they fail woefully in representing our interest. A practical example colleagues In my hospital secretarial and accounting role has been assigned to nurses to practice. When these so called policy was made by the management, nurses were present in the meeting and they wholeheartedly accepted. Why won't they? when all of them know nothing of the day to day running of the units/wards.
Debbie Tomisin Ojo let us improve ourselves practically and theoretically
Ogbonna Linda Osinachi : In every organisation we have job role, when you say nurses don't do their job, who now does it . I will not leave my job role to do doctors own. secondly at the end of every shift we hand over, during the handing over the next shift takes over properly to ascertain weather the previous shift did their job well. When your colleagues notice you take over properly and that every work is done before you take over, they will always be ready for you so that you don't delay them going home . This method is what we use in our unit and the job is well done. Lastly the job role of nurses is far bigger than that of other health worker.
Nkechi Obed We really need to sit right. Nursing is such a noble profession that no one needs to toil with. Let us prove to the entire health care team that we remain the integral part of health care delivery. Lets practice what we were taught wholly without shying away from our responsibilities. There was a contest between two nurses on duty and a doc.on call as to passing of NGTube, whose responsibility ? This lasted from night to the following morning. The poor patient that ought to have benefitted from this was left to his fate. Not until the nurse on morning duty came and intervened. Successfully passed the tube after several attempts by the docs failed.
Lets allow the patients to feel our presence. I think its matters a lot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic