Regulate and Monitor Auxiliary Nurses Training

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

Regulate and Monitor Auxiliary Nurses Training

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

Copied from our facebook gruop forum.
Written by Nwabueze Ezekwem
STOPING NURSE AUXILLARY A WRONG TACTICS, BLAMING THE DOCTOR A JIGGERY-POKERY AND IT CAN BE A WIN WIN WIN FOR ALL.

Within the past few weeks, I have read a lot of post and articles by my fellow colleagues on stopping the training and practice of nurse auxiliaries in Nigeria. Such calls are important to our noble profession if critically reviewed by all stakeholders involved and a sound, unbiased decision is reached. It is important we look deep at our professional body in the country and compare our practice with what is going on in other developed countries as this will help us to grow horizontal.

I want to stand to say that nurse auxiliaries are not menace to nursing practice if all involved do the right thing. In developed countries like US, Canada and Britain, there are Licensed Practical nurse (LPN) and Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA) which are equivalents of nurse auxiliaries in Nigeria. Even with the amount of wealth and knowledge in these countries, LPN and CNA are still part of every hospital medical team. A lot of blames are being directed to medical doctors especially the medical directors of hospital where such training are done. I think blames should not be directed to them, we should blame our self for such. In USA for example, the training of LPN and CNA are organised by the nursing board and commission. They training them and certify them to practice and also create a link for those with such certificate to become RN with ease. Such is not available in our country, the nursing board in Nigeria has not done this and I stand to say it is trickery to blame the doctors for doing so.

There are over a million nurse auxiliaries in Nigeria and stripping them of their job is not a good move but rather the nursing ministry and board should organize, training and certify them with scope of their responsibility fully outlined. In most hospitals in areas like Lagos and Port Harcourt where such training are held, over one hundred applicants are seen yearly in a hospital. Schools of nursing should take up this responsibility in ensuring they are given a better training. Caring for patient in a hospital is an enormous responsibility which cannot be done by nurses alone especially in actualizing a quality and affordable health care for all Nigerians.

We all can benefit from these; nurses we have less jobs to do and concentrate on the core part of caring for a patient, healthcare we be cheaper to Nigerians as some staff we not be paid huge salaries and hospital overhead cost will reduce as well, a lot of Nigerians will be empowered through the training with minimal fee paid and time involved in training them, Hospitals will thrive better has the nurse assistant nor have a structured training by the right professionals.
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: Regulate and monitoring Auxiliary Nurses Training

Munir Idris: Good but remember that most of them don't have the qualification, quality and the capability of studying nursing unlike US where the quality of education is at its highest level.
Adegboyega Oguntoyinbo Raimot Adeola
Love your analysis but these people will are talking of, some can't even write their names not to talk of writing report. Majority of them auxiliary as a last resort for primary school drop out and way for quick income.
Rahmat Mustapha-Adenuga:
You have a point but i stand bold to say Nigeria is not ripe for this, our system is structured in such a way that these auxiliaries are mostly school drop out(most times,junior secondary),do we even have the infrastructures?,let's do the needful, upgrade all SONs to degree awarding institutions,some could be merged as all can not be affiliated with the university. Do u also know that a RN holder with all d hard work and stress in school is termed a NURSE TECHNICIAN?,see, to correct all these, NMCN and the MOH need to intervene so that SONs can move to the MOE where the SONs can be placed ib its rightful place. Yes, Education is power, the SONs can then have shorter and less voluminous courses for those interested in the Nursing Assistants/Aide courses with a final qualifying exams for certification, unless the former is done, I can bet it anywhere that the latter suggestion will not see the light of the day. All faults still stem down to our past n present leaders....those that are visionary amongst them are very very very few.
Toyin Olasunkanmi Johnson Akomolafe:
This write up is expository enough but I will never concur. Why do we need nursing council to take the responsibility of training them when we have numerous and sizable number of registered nurses roaming the street without a job for our almighty registered nurse certificate has been relegated and discriminated against. Because as of today, most hospitals in Nigeria both private and public are no more employing a nurse with an RN certificate while some now employ only BNSc. On what basis do we now need the service and certification of auxiliary nurses? Is it to add to the menace of unemployment that is now endemic in nursing especially with single qualification or the ridicule faced from other professionals. Before we could adopt such practice by America, we must first right the wrongs in this our noble profession. Our single RN certificate must once again gain recognition, all our nurses must be able to get job irrespective of qualification, then if all nurses are occupied and there seems to be lacuna, we can then think of helping hand by adopting the U.S. system. .........I am not very sure if this writer is a nurse or an auxiliary but if he is a nurse, let us all join hands to say NO TO QUACKERY AND TO LIFT NURSING IN NIGERIA TO AN ENVIABLE HEIGHT. THIS DISCRIMINATION AND OPPRESSION IS TOO MUCH FOR US! My submission.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Sussan Igwe:
This is absurdity at its best trying to compare the lvn /LPN in America with auxiliary quacks in Nigeria.
LPN or LVN are well trained.
They write a board exam.
They are licensed.
They work under the supervision of RN
They have basic education before admission.
They do clinical in hospitalsand nursing homes for a number of board specified hours.
They can lose their license.
The RN in charge of them also gets punished for their mistakes if any so the RN gives close them supervision.
They give p.o Meds and i.m meds.
They don't give i.v pushes.
They start i.v lines.
They give i.v fluids which has no added meds.
They monitor vitals and report to the RN and issues.
They can't do initial assement with admissions.
They do patient teaching.
Their training is fourteen months to two yras depending on if they go to school daily or skip some days.

The CNA can measure vitals but reports to her lvn or RN
They clean patients.
Feeding.
Repositioning.
Safety sitters.
Give bedbaths
Make beds.
Assist in wheeling patients in a wheelchair.
Assist with lifting.

CNA are trained and certified but not licensed.
Their training lasts one to three or six months depending on time input.

This is what practically obtains in the USA I don't know about U.K and canada.

I have to let you know this so you can stop this misrepresentation.
There is no way the quacks who are not trainined,...who
Have no license
Have no supervision
Have no board.
Have no punishment for malpractice can be compared to a diligently trained lvn or LPN who is licensed and even supervised still by the RN.

The only way forward for Nigeria nursing is :
ARREST EVERY QUACK.
STOP QUACKS.
QUACKS ARE MUDERERS
Ezekwem Nwabueze:
I am proud of you all for your responses and criticism of my proposal so far because it has been very professional and constructive. I am not saying the nurse assistant in Nigeria have the same level of training as CNA and LPN presently but they are equivalent in job description and this why i am proposing that the board of nursing should take over their training and get them certified as it done in US and UK and i think the structure to do such is on ground if we are able to come up with a plan. Let us not forget that they are not equal to RN both in qualification and training and for this point not attribute their presence in the work force as the reason for joblessness for the nurses. @ Sussan Igwe, Arresting them is not a way forward but retraining them is. @ Toyin Olasunkanmi Johnson... I am by His grace a licensed Nurse, @ all we can do better by getting them retrained by the nursing schools as obtainable in other developed countries.
Adelu Haneefah:
Sussan, thanks for giving the poster more information, I think he is misinformed. Please let's do the needful and stop trying to make things worse.
Are these so called 'auxiliaries' even working as one? They are performing the duties of registered nurses. I can't imagine suffering through school and on getting out having to compete with semi-literate people and being offered my pocket money in school as salary. Sometimes you wonder what's the point of it all. Nigerian healthcare structure isn't well defined yet, some nursing duties have even been usurped already so what do you need assistants for, when there are more than enough nurses out there looking for job. If the nurse to pt ratio is adjusted everything will be better.
I don't care if thousands or millions of quacks lose their livelihoods in this course, they called for it for taking up a job that's not theirs.
SAY NO TO QUACKERY!

Ezekwem Nwabueze
@ Adelu Haneefah.. I am not misinformed, I am in this profession with you and understand as well the challenges we the registered nurse face as we work with nurse assistants daily but we have to understand that it is not peculiar to them alone as such also occur with our profession and other health workers. I still insist that saying no to quackery is good but that alone is not a solution to the problem. Nigeria healthcare structure is not well defined because the nursing council is keeping quiet on this and not taking up their roles. I still insist that schools of nursing should take over from hospitals.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Ezekwem Nwabueze
I know very well it is a painful experience to work with them as i did for five years and also within this period i come to the conclusion that it is not their fault but the leadership of nursing has not played it role very well in this matter. @ Toyin Olasunkanmi Johnson Akomolafe... I agree with you their are a lot other issues that are plaguing our profession as i want you to know i am not in dark at all ( thats a topic for another day). You might relate their presence to joblessness of nurses but their is a whole lot issues more than that which if properly addressed, nurses will have more than enough jobs to do in the country with or without nurse assistants. The government is to be blamed for that. i still use developed countries as my example.@ Sussan Igwe, @ Adelu Haneefah, I mentioned in my post that the nursing board should structure their training and define their responsibility. In this era of affordable healthcare to all, we all need each other for Nigeria to be able to actualize a social health insurance for all including my farming mother in the village.
Maureen Ezinne Ijeaku
Good write up but i strongly disagree, like someone said MOST of this auxiliary docs/nurses( their name depends on who trains them) cant understand a thing.... for the ones who are good, good for them they should go back to school just like RNs are been encouraged to get a degree. Who to blame?.....hmmmm 1.any nurse that have ever trained them 2. the nursing council who have kept quiet on their practice 3.the docs who employ them . Nursing council should go round private hospitals to check out things happening there, i believe there is a regulation as to how many qualified nurses a private hospital should have before commencement if not, NMCN should work out one! NOTE PLEASE ::IF YOUR HUSBAND OR WIFE HAS A PRIVATE PRACTICE FILLED WITH AUXILIARIES AND YOU ARE A QUALIFIED NURSE IN THIS FORUM.....HMMMM SORRY TO SAY YOU ''MIGHT'' BE A DISGRACE TO THIS PROFESSION SHIKINA........I know alot of you here oooo!!!
Toyin Olasunkanmi Johnson Akomolafe
NMCN does not need to entangle itself to training of any vocation except nurses, if they are trained as ward maids, what would the health assistants who train in college of health technology be doing. NMCN is for nurses and not for ward maids. Let us say no to quackery. The only way we can help the auxiliary is by encouraging them to enroll in nursing school if they have the necessary qualification like I always do especially the younger ones I come across.
Patience Nwosu
Am short of words because the experience with all these auxiliaries is better imagined than working with them.but sorry to say this some nurses are disappointments to these proffession .they are the trainers of this quacks like where i worked before my Nysc the so called matron and i are the only registered nurses.we were asked to train the quacks .i have to give -up the job because of that.saying no to quacks will go a long way in restoring the image of nursing .the quacks are called nurses and their shoulders are so high in may privates that they want to control the real nurses and any correction from the nurse you become an enemy and many sleep with the doctors just to remain there with less than 10k that they pay them.it will take a united effort from all licensed nurses and our leading board to fight this course .i pray God to make our dreams come through soonest
Ayanlola Odunayo Ruqoyah
Patience Nwosu, truly,experience with them is better imagine. Working with is like hell,they won't yield to correct,maybe because they are illiterates( primary school,secondary school drop out) I'm the only registered nurse in my hospital now, if not for view words of encouragement from my colleagues (that it is just for a few period,as we are going for service by october) God,I would have resigned. Haaa,working with them is hell. Don't wish to work in a hospital with auxiliaries after my service. If you have not work with them,you can't understand my plight
Ezekwem Nwabueze
My beautiful and handsome professional colleagues, its been a good conversation on this platform and we have made our opinions known thou we do not agree based on our view of the matter at hand. I recommend we call the attention of our leaders to this and allow them to study and review the subject. I believe they should be technocrat in nursing administration and should be able to come up with a better plan. Thank you and God bless you all.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: Regulate and Monitor Auxiliary Nurses Training

Esther Ebruba : My fellow colleagues, I can't understand why we are publishing auxiliary nurses this much. Talk is cheap, so talking will not cost anyone anything anyway, talking and getting on each others nerves without our so called N&MC not doing anything about the nursing profession will lead us nowhere. I still stand on the ground that auxiliaries are not in any way threat to qualified nurses, and can never be. if only N&MC will wake up from their slumber and place nursing where it ought to be, then every other thing will fall in place.

I am not sure nurses from lst or 2nd world will complain about auxiliary nurses like we do in Nigeria, because thier systems are working. Just like Ezekwem said, the auxiliaries still have their place in the healthcare setting, its not only in Nigeria that auxiliary nurses exists. They are not our problem, N&MC is!
Nnabuife Janet Uche Eseoghene So i ask you Esther ebruba, Why will they exist in Nigeria??
Esther Ebruba Why is auxiliary nurses in existence in lst and 2nd world countries without it being a problem to them Janet?

Ojolola Adeife Bukola Because they know their limitations and are not parading themselves as Registered Nurse, because they are not being made the team leader even if they have twenty years experience, because they are not committing atrocities even as they are licensed as auxiliaries. We know N&MC is part of our problem, but we are not going to fold our arms either
Esther Ebruba I sincerely cannot believe we are still at this level of reasoning at all! For God's sake in UK, US, Canada, there are different categories of care givers including auxiliary nurses, I feel so sad if at this era what we are killing our heads over the issue of auxiliary nurses, then it is a pity! Even in government sponsored hospitals abround auxiliaries are working in harmony with qualified nurses. Please lets be more focused on issues that will forge us ahead, and lets stop acting as if the care we render to patients is at the mercy of the auxiliary nurses.
Sussan Igwe
Esther Ebruba
Maybe in the U.K where you live. Not in the USA.

Different categories of care givers yes but NEVER auxiliaries as in Nigeria.

I hope you understand what auxiliaries do in Nigeria
Do you ? Please
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Ezekwem Nwabueze : @ Esther Ebruba , Sussan Igwe , Ojolola Adeife Bukola. our colleague need to see beyond the shadow of the deeds of the nurse assistants and try to see how we make them better as I recommended. The nursing profession world wide is changing and we need to learn to be flexible and tolerant with other health team. I still stand on training them by nursing schools and if possible change their name.
Esther Ebruba Susssan, I'm presently in the UK, and in all the hospitals I have worked so far are all government owned, there are auxiliary nurses , they are under the qualified nurses, there are never a problem in any way, because everyone has their job description.
Sussan Igwe :Ezekwem Nwabueze
The registered nurse role in Nigeria has been reduced to less than what LPN do in America by doctors. They carry bed pan and give p.o Meds.

They are actually working as nurse assistants or at best medication technicians .

What will the nurse assistants do again for the nurse in Nigeria?
Esther Ebruba My dear even in the US, they have, they are called the "nurse aide". Lets stop making them more popular.
Ezekwem Nwabueze @ Sussan Igwe , this is one of the reason why we must look for a way to train them and make them understand their role. Because we have not taking charge of our profession by giving them the right training, they now do what they are not suppose to do. Let school of nursing train them and teach them their role in the health team.
Sussan Igwe Esther Ebruba
I do not disagree that there are categories of care givers.
What I disagree is equating them with the auxiliaries of nigeria.

Care givers don't admit.
Discharge.
Start i.v line.
Give i.m and i.v injections.
Remove sutures.
Do wound care.
Deliver babies.
Do antenatal e.t.c.

These and more are what auxiliary quacks do in Nigeria.
So when we talk about auxiliaries put it in the Nigerian context.

I know you're in the u.k and am in the USA. Do auxiliaries in the u.k do the above ?
To stop them is a must.
You never know who the next victim of there muderous act will be.
Could be your family or mine
Esther Ebruba It is the duty of N&MC to be certifying them, not in the private hospitals, the way it is been done now, otherwise, they still have their roles.
Damilola Olusegun Adeaga :this is pure misinformation! you can't infer from the American situation. this is an issue of legality or illegality. I don't need to go further. I fully concur with what Sussan Igwe has stated above. that's just the way it is!
Esther Ebruba: There is nothing you and I can do about it, if N&MC is not involved.
Sussan Igwe Ezekwem Nwabueze
Their roles is not expedient now in Nigeria.
We have thousands of unemployed nurses.
Nurses roles have been reduced. To a CNA.

If we in Nigeria have shortage of nursing manpower or nurses are really overloaded with patient care then we can talk about auxiliaries as help.

Now auxiliaries are matron and register nurses and killing people.

Let us put our energy towards getting nurse practitioners and doctors of nursing practice instead of going backwards.

I can't believe you guys are saying this and trying to move nursing Nigeria backwards.

Do you really love this profession with passion?
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Esther Ebruba: Sussan I think you are misunderstanding issues here, what I am saying is that, the problem of nursing in Nigeria is not auxiliary nurses, they are our least problem. The N&MC is our problem! In the lst place, are you as a registered nurse, or graduate nurse rightly placed? The answer is No! As for auxiliaries, they should be properly trained, and their role description well defined to them, and everyone will work smoothly.
They are one of the biggest problem.
Nurses in Nigeria are treated like slaves because auxiliaries reduced the total value of the Nigerian nurse.

Whoever can not see this is either blind or refused to see.

Auxiliaries have no place for now in the scheme of things in Nigeria nursing.
To eradicate them is a task that must be done.
Esther Ebruba A task that must be done by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
Sussan Igwe No.
A task by you and I

When there is a will...there is a way.
If the council won't move let us move and surely they will join.
Esther Ebruba I am not in support of quack. However, I am not the body that will give them certification. The best thing to do is to penetrate N& MC, it is not me and you, otherwise,they would have been eradicated before now.
2 hrs · Like

Am glad for your new position now.
In your very first post you wanted auxiliaries.

Now please join us in the campaign against quacks.

Post a condemnation on your wall. Your friends and family in Nigeria will read it and know better.
Join us.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

I need to call the attention of the ministry of health and the nursing and midwifery Council of Nigeria to wake up from their slumber. It's not a new news that Auxiliary Nurses have taken over the private hospitals, there by giving bad name to the profession and causing the death of many. Can u imagine the penalty for those training killers? N1000 at the expense of peoples lives. I know of one hospital in Egbeda, Lagos state that duplicates registered Nurses license and give it to auxiliary Nurses.
My dear country people it's not Nurses that are killing your babies, or causing them lasting deformity, neither is it the registered Nurses that circumcises your child wrongly, it is those killers called Auxiliary Nurses that don't know the scientific rationale behind what they are doing. Nigerians if you love yourself, your family, your friends, SAY NO TO AUXILIARY NURSES. And to the NAMCN, keep sleeping, keep increasing license fee, keep increasing examination fees and don't do the needful, keep collecting bribes and form blind eyes to the issue, till your grand childs leg is deformed by an auxiliary, or till you are sick and you rushed to a private hospital where an auxiliary administer your drugs wrongly to facilitate your death.

Chief nurse Onome on behalf of the Registered Nurses.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Copied our facebook group
Hamdala hospital nurses

STOP CALLING AUXILIARY NURSES A QUACK..

Sorry to disappoint you; there is a term called Auxiliary Nurse. A term used in the UK and other Commonwealth countries while CNAS is an US derived terminology. Countries have all the rights to determine what they want or legalize. Unless we want to fool ourselves Auxiliaries exist in Nigeria and have come to stay HOWEVER what the Nursing and Midwifery Council needs to do is to look for ways to streamline and regularize the profession. Because of lack of regularization things have gone haywire!. South Africa has found a way to regularize it.

Many things also exist in the US that don't exist in Nigeria e. g Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners. Each country must decide what works or otherwise for them. See a description in any UK site or just Google it

I think pressures should be mounted on the Nursing Council to look at ways to regulate the profession rather than fight to abolish it. Nature abhors a vacuum. Traditional birth attendants still take deliveries in Nigeria whether we like it or not. Basically because modern healthcare in some areas is still very rudimentary and people must deliver or as a necessity, try to get well if sick.

Instead of calling and insulting them why not place them in their position....this people are going into this profession in a way called auxillary nurse because they have passion for it and they don't have much to be spent.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Kunle Emmanuel wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:54 am Copied our facebook group
Hamdala hospital nurses

STOP CALLING AUXILIARY NURSES A QUACK..

Sorry to disappoint you; there is a term called Auxiliary Nurse. A term used in the UK and other Commonwealth countries while CNAS is an US derived terminology. Countries have all the rights to determine what they want or legalize. Unless we want to fool ourselves Auxiliaries exist in Nigeria and have come to stay HOWEVER what the Nursing and Midwifery Council needs to do is to look for ways to streamline and regularize the profession. Because of lack of regularization things have gone haywire!. South Africa has found a way to regularize it.

Many things also exist in the US that don't exist in Nigeria e. g Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners. Each country must decide what works or otherwise for them. See a description in any UK site or just Google it

I think pressures should be mounted on the Nursing Council to look at ways to regulate the profession rather than fight to abolish it. Nature abhors a vacuum. Traditional birth attendants still take deliveries in Nigeria whether we like it or not. Basically because modern healthcare in some areas is still very rudimentary and people must deliver or as a necessity, try to get well if sick.

Instead of calling and insulting them why not place them in their position....this people are going into this profession in a way called auxillary nurse because they have passion for it and they don't have much to be spent.
Debi Oti
Sorry to disappoint you , you are wrong auxiliary nursing in Nigeria is absolutely different from nurse assistant any where in the world . Nurse assistant/CNA do not get their training from doctors or nurses there are designated healthcare educators who train them in different aspect. And there is a limitation to the job of a nurse assistant. They assist nurses the don’t do the job of the nurse . In Nigeria this people are trained to do nursing core jobs . The give medication , take delivery , do all sort of procedures . And again in my opinion from both experience I will say Nigerian healthcare does not need to legalise auxiliary nurses because the kind of patients who you constantly see on hospitalisation in Nigeria is different from what is obtainable abroad. I am busy right now I can’t type more details but I can assure you that the lady is wrong and has probably only heard CNA /healthcare assistant/nurse assistant but have not taking her time to do adequate findings or have a first hand experience . I wish some Nigerian nurses in developed countries can come home and build the nursing system especially those with education n work experience abroad but who go gree return??? I really wish nursing in Nigeria gets better though!!
Debyluv Maren
Point of correction there is no thing as auxiliary nurse in the UK,,, there is Nursing associate, and Healthcare assistance which all work under direct supervision of the registered nurses, these HCA's and NA's have been trained in a formal institution and have revieved license to practice in such a capacity.
The "auxiliaries in Nigeria don't have any license to practice and their form of training isn't defined, so that makes them quakes
Banji Joel
She is talking in the nonsense
Marian Dami-Dami Omo'Mummy
I agree with her. Infact I just got done making the same arguments with a friend. It all boils down to scope of practice which should be defined by the nursing board. In the U.S we have registered nurses, licensed practical nurses and certified nursing assistants. They all have an important role to play and have different scope of practice they have to adhere to.
You can have a Registered nurse and a nursing assistant or auxiliary nurse both taking care of the patient. The aux nurse reports to the RN and is able to perform roles like taking vitals, giving bed baths, emptying foley bags, taking blood sugar....these frees up more time for the RN to perform other roles like physical assessment, giving meds, inserting ivs....
Marian
Dami-Dami
Omo'Mummy
The problem is they are fighting for equal right with the registered Nurse.
I was in one private hospital yesterday for antenatal, before the Registered NURSE came one of their trainees has shown up to be a staff, at the long run the RN wanted to carry out her duty the next thing I heard from the trainee was what's the difference between us we are both NURSE imagine that
Taiwo Towah
Physician assistants and health care assistants are not trained under petesi and are not freedom processionals. They are duely certified.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic