AUXILIARY NURSES OR QUACKS

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

AUXILIARY NURSES OR QUACKS

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

People need to know that there is nothing like auxiliary nurses in Nigeria. The Nigerian constitution does not recognize or provide for it.

A registered professional nurse is one who went to either the school of nursing for a 3-year course or the university to study nursing. Both of them must also seat for and pass the licensing exam of the nursing and midwifery council of Nigeria. Anything short of this is false.
Will you ever see a quack or auxiliary nurse in the government hospitals? No!

They are found in the those mushroom and substandard private clinics and maternity homes owned by doctors and even qualified nurses where they commit various atrocities.

Any hospital or clinic that you find these so called auxiliaries is a fake hospital. They are only after your money.
As a patient it is your right to know the qualification of the person administering treatment to you. You can even ask to see their licences (they may have forged licences anyway).

Do not patronise the quacks. Let's get used to sanity. Do not patronise the 'auxiliaries ', you do so at your own risk. They are not registered professionals nurses. These are the people denting the image of professional nurses.
Anyone who trains and employs them is also a criminal. Report them to the police.
If you want to establish a clinic as a doctor or a nursing home/maternity clinic as a nurse, employ the registered professionals. Do not employ some ladies to start training them on the job. That's criminal!
There is no government-approved school or learning centre for the training of 'auxiliary nurses'.
Doctors and nurses (professional bad eggs) involved in this bad practice should desist. Stop training auxiliary nurses (quacks) in your closets (clinics).

Yet we want our healthcare delivery system to be like that of the western countries. Not with practices like this.

We are in an era of change.
Please share and broadcast '
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: AUXILIARY NURSES OR QUACKS

11 months ago, I had my first unpleasant experience since I ever began using the dictionary. As someone who derives great pleasure exploring the highly revered book, I was not prepared for the rude shock I got when I decide to innocently steer the nest by looking up such tormenting word as 'auxiliary nurse'. Up till this moment, I still partially blame myself for attempting to unravel the mystery behind the dreaded word.

Right from my secondary school days, I had always known that the word 'auxilliary ' could take up as a synonym, any of the following words:

Dictionary meaning of 'auxiliary'
1. secondary or supplementary
2. supporting, subsidiary;
3. additional; supplementary; reserve
4. a person or thing that supports or supplements; subordinate or assistant
5. used as a substitute or reserve in case of need

However, I was more than 100% convinced that the word 'auxiliary nurse' can never exist in any dictionary in this world. I had this strong belief (erroneous as I later rudely found out) that the word must have been coined by some unscrupulous and mischievous entity, with the sinister motive of seriously embarrassing the noblest of all profession. As far as I was concerned, the word does not even exist!

Then came one of the most shocking discovery I made last year!
Dictionary meaning of auxiliary nurse:
auxiliary nurse
noun [C] UK UK (US nurse's aide) US
› someone whose job is to help nurses to take care of people
(Cambridge Advanced Learners Dictionary & Thesaurus ©)
British) someone who performs duties such as washing and dressing patients, making beds, etc, in an establishment such as a hospital - Collins English Dictionary

Now the big question: Who really is an auxiliary nurse?

As a result of my 11 month comprehensive research on the worrisome menace called auxiliary nursing, I have come to discover that an auxiliary nursing is a kind of 'legitimate' health care job originally found only in the U.K and in the British Commonwealth. They were meant to help certified nurses and work along with them.
What does an auxiliary nurse do? Listen to the renowned global online source for job descriptions:
Auxiliary nurses are also referred to as health care assistants, and they provide assistance to doctors and nurses in hospitals, doctor's offices, nursing homes and medical clinics. Duties of an auxiliary nurse include dressing and bathing patients, meal preparation, daily hygiene assistance, bed making and laundry. They also monitor the overall conditions of patients with hourly temperature checks and do blood pressure testing and weight monitoring. - www.jobdiscriptions.org.

AUXILIARY NURSE JOB DESCRIPTION
A general job description of auxiliary nurses can be summarized as taking basic care of the patients and making them feel as comfortable as possible. Auxiliary nurses are not registered and the job does not require any kind of formal training or academic qualifications.
Responsibilities

Auxiliary nurses have the task of administrating care to patients, overall trying to make the patient as comfortable as possible. They have to wash and help the patients to wear clothes; they have to groom and feed them; they have to push their wheelchairs. They have to monitor the patient's progress and sometimes they have to check their vital signs such as temperature or blood pressure. They also have to change bedpans and make the beds.
Auxiliary nurses also work along with medical scientists assisting them through simple chores. They could be assigned to take notes during an experiment. They can help with the analysis of samples of bodily fluids like blood or urine. They may also be assigned to clean or prepare the laboratory equipment.

Auxiliary nurses can also work in a clinic performing support for physiotherapists, pediatricians or nutritionists. They may have to prepare the equipment before the sessions and help patients to mentally prepare for these sessions. They have to take notes during the therapy and keep a record of the progress; they also have to keep track of the medical history of the patient notifying the therapist if an activity or prescription is not suitable for a certain patient.
Q:
What does the almighty online search centre ask.com have to say? Check it out below:
"Auxiliary nurses work closely with their patients and are often the last person a patient talks to before retiring for the evening. Since bathing, feeding and comforting patients are tasks performed by an auxiliary nurse, a calm and patient demeanor is expected in addition to training and education. It is also important for auxiliary nurses to possess great communication skills, as well as a pleasant bedside manner.

Auxiliary nurses work both full and part time. They are given the option to work evenings, weekends, overnight shifts or daytime shifts, and scheduling is quite flexible. Auxiliary nurses are required to obtain a certain level of certification either prior to starting employment or earned while working on the job. Auxiliary nurses have the ability to advance in their careers through earning additional qualifications and on the job training."

Are you as baffled as I was then?

Let's share comments on this.....

Okesola Jayjay.
N.B - It was Albert Einstein who said: "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. " There is a tsunami gathering up against auxiliary nursing in Nigeria on this forum. If you burn with so much passion for this profession, contacting the nurses spearheading this campaign and offering your selfless contribution in any way you can is the best thing to do!
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

. My concerns and pain are the functions described above are not what they practice in Nigeria. They assumed the role of professional staff and impersonate themselves. An exemplary role of nursing assistant and legally accepted role a is system I witness at a hospital visited recently.

In Nigeria context, they go beyond job descriptions and also tarnished the image of the profession. The public does not know the different once they see you in traditional white uniform. And I say that is the problem.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi
Why can't we maintain standard practice in Nigeria?

In Ghana our next door neighbour, you cannot practice nursing except you are trained and licenced. Why do Nigerians like cutting corners at the expense of human lives? Why do some protect their profession jealously and trivialized others?, why must you indulge in giving what you don't have? Why why why? If you are not a nurse what knowledge do you pass to those you named 'auxiliary nurse', why don't you name them after your profession? Because you know its evil and destructive. Hence forth who ever train such illegal people will bear the grunt of naming them after their profession.

NO TRAINED NURSE MUST INDULGE IN THIS ILLICIT TRAINING. DO NOT WORK AGAINST YOUR CALLING.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic