How has your unit leader influenced your nursing practice?

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

How has your unit leader influenced your nursing practice?

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

Do we have good administrators/ leaders in your units/wards, how have they influenced your life and your nursing practice?.

What are those attributes that endear you to such a leader?

You may/may not mention his / her name but tell us those attributes you appreciate, so that we can all learn. Sharing leadership experience in nursing.

Pls be specific! - Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi

Copied from our facebook gruop disscussion.
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: How has your unit leader influenced your nursing practic

Yes! Indeed! Mrs Ekerendu Kate Effiong was my former ward leader, now retired. She influenced my academic and moral life. Her belief is that "No one is outrightly bad, there is a form of goodness in that bad person, when you fan it to flame it will blossom and consume that negative aspect of that person's life" hence she does not listen to gossips rather she expects positivity in the life of all her nurses. She holds a degree in French language and runs a language school in Abuja after retirement till date. She is also a family friend to most of the nurses that worked with her. A wife to a highly placed govt official who can relate with the lowliest person in the world. I love her so much.

* Some leaders accomplish a great deal and are loved and praised by followers.
* Lesser leaders use threat and fear to get results.
* The worst leaders use force and lie; they are despised.
* But of the best are leaders, when the work is done and the goal attained, the people say, "We did it ourselves! " watch out for such leaders and respect them.

- Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi

Benjaa Osolife: I have BAD administrators, they ve been frustrating. I ve never learned a new thing from them.
Others will do to their children what they ve been doing to me.
Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi:
@ Benjaa Osolife, You don't have to be bitter my dear, the more angry you are the more injurious those adrenaline you pour into your system. The relationship will also be further damaged. You will overcome those obstacles in a short while because you are a promising hard working man who have the tendencies to become a great administrator. Quietness will help you a great deal especially in that your environment. Do your best at all times, respect and obey your leaders whether good or bad. There is reward for obedience. Those wicked to others will not be there for ever. No, they will leave one day. As leaders,what type of foot prints do we intend to leave behind?
Idia Kasum:
Sorry o @Nrs Benjaa i pray they understand the havoc they are creating and change. i have worked with the best leaders now retired they are non judgemental and dealt with issues as it comes never biased where ever they are may God be with them. my present leader is just too much what i like most about her is that she encourages proffesional advancement, she gives responsibilities and appreciate you according to your output regardless of your tribe and religion not minding weather you are a junior officer or a senior officer. i love her and may God be with her. those who complain about her are the lazy bones and unethical officers.
Omolara Justina:
Am happy to comment on my past leader when i was in medical ward, he is my mentor in getting my degree in nursing hardworking, appreciating, a teachear, a farther, ready to stand by u both thick n thin, a defender. Reverse is the opposite when i was posted to recovery unit met a leader that haa i cant explain she is a lion, gossiper, bad adviser, u dont patronise her u b in her black book. Today she no longer be in service a gain that life. Soja come soja go. Hospital still remain. Presently in icu is another kind of leader lazy to work both hav no confidence in themself, self centered set of pple. Kai may God help us.
Chioma Stephanie Ibe Ejezie: Wow! I am a staff nurse/midwife, currently doing my Bnsc programme, when i was working with one private hospital (the first place i worked after i graduated from midwifery) i am a known chronic late comer, but presently,i am posted @ FMC owerri for one month, as in clinical posting, precisely GOPD, when we reported, the ward manager wasn't on duty that day, her assistant and other staff nurses gave us orientation, that other wards resume morning duty by 8a.m n closes by 2pm, but in GOPD, the ward manager insisted on resuming by 7:30am and closes by 4pm to help patients go on time, that she used to be very strict esp in terms of time of duty resumption.hmmmmmmm....

I was like it wont work ooooo.....the following day, we met the ward manager, she is a very strict, always moving around from unit to unit to monitor if u are @ ur duty post, how u work n she is a no nonsense nurse, though, friendly ie if you comes to work early. I made it as a point of duty to be at work beore her, i report to work befoe 7:30a.m, but each day i come, she is already sitted, in a nut shell, she infleunced me by being time conscious, going to work early and making sure am at my duty post without gisting. I have developed a great love for her. (Mrs. Anumudu)
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Iliyasu Abdullahi : I'm right now awaiting my November result, i will like to share this with you, when i was posted to psychiatric experience in ATBUTH, actually i happen to be a chronic late comer to the ward, the first day we reported, we ware 5 minutes late to the unit the manager pretend and received us with a smiling face, immediately after the orientation, he then wrote a latter to the A&E for we to report after 4pm for evening duty, when we ask him, he now frown his face and said and i quote"you reported 35 minutes after 7:00am, so im sending you for 4 days evening duty in the Trauma center". I was very angry but i have no option than to report, he continue like that until we personally corrected our selves,..this days our managers are commending us for punctually and time management....and i'm happy.
Tina Ekwy : the leadership of Nursing is truncated in most private hospitals where the manaement mix up quacks with professionals in the name of saving costs, tribalism rules the mgt, sentiments become the order of the day, employees who are friends to the mgt get favoured and is allowed to behave anyhow and say anything at anytime without fear or favour. Hierrhacy in Nursing doesn't have anything to do with marital status, age, relationships but its all about professional ethics,etiquette,code of conduct etc.Pls I plead with Nurses both senior and junior Nurses, place yourrself where you belong to uphold Nursing profession, others like Drs hold themselves in high esteem. Then why can't Nurses do better, you are the hearthbeat of healthcare, do about 70% of work in the hospital to care for your patients, so pls regard yourr superiors even if the person is your senior by 1 day. I wish govt will absorb all the professional Nurses to render their excellent services in a reputable environment. My GOD your help is needed here. In your MERCY LORD, hear my prayers!!
Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi: Amazing!, please pour out your mind so that people can learn from other's strength and mistakes. We need to put things straight in this profession if we must move forward. Attitude, carriage, relationship and academics goes a long way, if we must be properly placed in the society.
Adelu Haneefah:
There is a particular matron I liked so much. She had all the qualities of a good leader. Intelligent, assertive, good charisma, good relationship with people, very punctual and a no nonsense woman. She is a mother, always advising where needed and ready to share her knowledge. Even though she was the chief nurse in charge of the ward you'll never find her couped up in her office unless necessary, she'll join in doing all the work in the ward with proper delegation of duties. We need more nurses like her.
Osaretin Omoruyi: I am proud to say I am nurse today I obtained my RN certificate with four kids on ground to care for as a student I was told to succeed I must read at least 4hours a day and I must resume before 8am so I ve to drop my kids at school everyday my tutors where the type that will not spare you curses,punishment like sending you to A&E unit from 4-6 after you close also take away your wkend at any slight misbehave so I vow that I will never fall into their trap and it was so working on the ward was fun mixed with depressed nurses who either childless,single mothers,unmarried who were never happy seeing you married,with kids,cars and every good thing I all ways leave my family behind humble myself read ahead and make sure I that I was not found wanting in duties.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi :
Sharing touching moments We encountered with our leaders! Power comes through cooperation, independence through service, and a greater self through selflessness. ( Tao Te Chin, chap 39).

Factors and behaviour of good leaders are;
1. Challenging the process, searching for opportunities, experimenting and taking sensible risks to improve the organisation.

2. Inspiring a shared vision: constructing a future vision and building followers support for the vision.

3. Enabling others to act; fostering collaboration not competition. Supporting followers in their personal development.

4. Modelling the way; setting examples by ones own behaviour. focusing on step by step accomplishments by followers so that large scale goals seem more realistic and attainable through a process of many "small wins"

5. Encouraging the heart; recognizing followers contributions. finding ways to celebrate followers achievements.
THIS IS LEADERSHIP THAT MATTERS!.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic