Is it okay to put up an IV line for a patient at home?

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

Is it okay to put up an IV line for a patient at home?

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

Is it legal for a nurse to put up IV line for a patient at home?

This was a well discussed topic on Facebook forum group. Sharing the ideas here is impact those who wish to learn from it.
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: Is it okay to put up an IV line for a patient at home?

MarySlesor Slesor: Ilegal duty...

Stella Ogbonna Nwaobi: Though it's doctors procedure

Sunday A Onolu: Its legal

Chioma Ogbonna: In cases of emergency

Njoku Annet: Yes in an emergency conditions

Anwuli Anthonia: Yes in emergency cases
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Damilola Olusegun Adeaga: This forum is not for general public. It's for nurse.

Back to the post: Under what condition is the IV line being set up? Emergency, as a life-saving procedure or under normal situation? Does the nurse have a phlebotomy certification or not?

If it's under emergency or life-saving, then the nurse hasn't done wrong but if otherwise, the nurse has acted illegally. Our current scope of practice doesn't extend to such reach although local hospitals do have their own practice codes. Do what you will be able to defend in a court of law.

If the nurse has a phlebotomy certification, then she has acted legally.
Onyi Eunice: all nurses should make sure you know how to put an iv line because of cases of emergency at home. Nobody will understand that this one is Dr's on not doctor procedure when eventuality occur.
Abubakar Dami Umar: Yes, especially in emergency cases pls.
Helen Dunkwu: As A Nurse U Should Learn How To Go Into The Vein. A Certified Midwife Does Not Need The Dr's Prescription To Administer I/v Fluid To A Pregnant Woman With History Of Hyperemesis Gravidarium In The Community Setting. Even If A Family Member Is Stooling And Vomitting Continously,your Immediate Attention Is To Replace Loss Electrolyte. If U Can't Gain Assess Into The Vein, Your Next Action Will Be To Spend On Hospital Bill. U Need To Expand Your Knowledge And Don't Be Myopic. May God Help Us. Great Nurses!!!
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Sussan Igwe:@ Damilola Olusegun Adeaga
You are right but...
Even with a phlebotomy certificate you shouldn't treat people at home or insert I.v lines at home except in emergency situations and then send the patient to the nearest hospital quickly.

But many insert I.v lines at home.
Do all manner of treatment at home
Give antibiotics at home without prescription from a doctor.
Write prescription themselves.
Diagnose, treat and get paid at home.
I call them QUACK DOCTORS.
They wanna stop quack nurses but they are themselves quack doctors. Quackery is quackery no matter who did it.

It's time some lose their license so we can clean up the mess.
Ipaye Akindele Omowunmi: Illegal though it may be,life saving is our goal and it can be done anywhere be it by the road side, at home or hospital/clinic settings.
Gbonjubola Olukemi Ogundeji Oyenuga: You were taught how to set lines, it's only doctors alone that do IV lines in teaching hospitals. However, supposingyou were in the rural area and there is patient is dehydrated, will you wait and say until when physician comes you will intervene? Lets live up to our standard.
Ishioma Kennedy-Oberhiri: Its necessary for a Nurse to know how to set up IVF but under conducive environment. If not, more harm would be done than good. Not every Nurse is a midwife, and for midwives there are certain things that are not allowed under the scope of practice. Treating your family member is unethical except in emergency cases where help cannot be gotten immediately.There are circumstances where a Nurse is allowed to set up IVF for a patient. But a lot of us have abused this and turned our homes to hospitals. If you want to practice to the fullest, establish a nursing home.
Mary Kalu: To me i don't see anyting wrong it especially when the patient is your relation, hence you know ypur onion. Gonne are days when only the doctors can do that, so Yes.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Sussan Igwe @ Mary Kalu
Are you serious?
Put I.v line on your relative for what purpose?
Do you know your relative can develop complications and sue you and you lose your license?
When someone is sick around you, do whatever you can and stabilize the person and rush to the hospital as soon as you can.
Do not keep them at home doing treatments yourself whether you know your onions and beans or not.Please.
Be a nurse not a quack doctor.
Magdalene Eghwrudjakpor: I cant believe am commenting the third time on the same post! See NURSES! Hey! Going through some comments , i believe those who "enjoy" putting on i/v are less busy in their ward or unit. (Not those in teaching hospital) if you are in a busy ward, before u do d vital signs with analog B/P apparatus not digital & old thermometer not electronic or infra red & take history u will know how far. So after doing this, you will just allow d doctor to do d work of a secretary & off he goes? I bet those who like putting up i/v neglects their own primary duty.
Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi: This topic should not have come up in this forum at all. We all know what we were thought and given right to do as trained nurses. There are also some category of nurses that are licensed to do some procedures in emergency situations e.g Intensive Care Nurses, Accident and Emergency nurses, Midwives, in critical conditions. As a nurse I see this job description as division of labour, although some physician believed nurses are incompetent to do these. I know most nurses are verse and they know their onions but let us follow the rule and defend our work by being passionate about it. Their self trained auxiliary doctors dabble into so many procedure including setting I/v and they don't feel threatened. We are trained nurses, we have to behave like one.
Folake Oluleye Awolola: Hmmm some people wont only loose their licence but end up in jail ..all because u want to help, u go out of the scope of ur licence...there is NO school where nurses are taught to set intravenous lines talkless of giving iv fluid at home..setting iv line is NEVER the work of d nurse...only in emergency situations will u do that at home and get the patient straight to the hospital..and what does american mentality&doctors having two heads have to do with this post? Its all about working within ur scope of practice..and in federal hospitals where u have not even finished your own procedures cos you are already stressed out, where will u get d time to pocknose into other peoples work? D problem with some people in this profession is low self esteem and dt is why u take up other peoples work..pls lets know our scope of work and their scientific rationals and that is where doctors respect u..AM PROUDLY A NURSE!!!
Akerele Semiloore Patricia: emergency nurse indeed. Being an emergency nurse doesnt licence you to perform any form of invading procedure at home. Have you all forgotten that setting up an iv is a sterile procedure. All these doesn't make you a professional as you seem to look at it. The emergency care you can render to a person to helping the person to get to hospital facility as soon as possible. setting up an iv line its not an emergency care when someone is bleeding ,your emergency care in such situation is to apply pressure to where such person is bleeding from and transport the patient to the hospital. my dear nurses in your reasoning of giving an iv fluid to a patient bleeding with PCV of 7% as your own emergency care is even more dangerous than when you allow the patient to be till he or she get to the hospital. Nurses in Nigeria has left their own core calling and are chasing after Doctors because they feel that's why doctors are more respected than Nurses. No. Some doctors don't know shit but they say whatever nonsense they have to say with dignity but we nurses we allow inferiority complex to make us to delve into what we are not suppose to do with the notion that there is nothing a doctor can do that we can not do. Its high time we stopped this quackery habit and put more effort to our own calling.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Oluwafemi Alo: For real... in my opinion... nurses give ivfs to patient abroad not only for emergency but also as palliative measure for patients. If giving iv is an invasive procedure then setting a line is definitely is, thus, i feel it depends on your professional prowess and how u have scientific rationale.

I watched a movie that featured simple oxygen therapy with needle and line through the trachea outdoor, at the point of accident. There are some specialty courses currently in Nigeria that allows u to do that anywhere. Its the EMT-B. Emergency Medical Technician. Lets wake up ppl, we limit ourselves alot.
Akerele Semiloore Patricia: Nurses in abroad set ivf in the hospital not in their homes and when a nurse or a lab scientist tries three times with no luck call on an expert and if there is no luck you call the doctor. Nobody is licensed to practice invasive procedure in their homes here in US.not even to your family member.
Oluwafemi Alo: Our ideas may be conflicting, but it was well documented for a sickle cell patient with crisis to receive ivf at home where a nurse is available...prior the arrival of an EMT.
Akerele Semiloore Patricia: In case you don't know it is against doctors ethic to give any form of treatment to anybody even their relation at home that's why they have their own private hospital.
james
Reactions:
Years of practice: 2

Unread post by james »

Nursing is noble profession. Nurses look after the patients very well and they provide every facility in hospital especially always ready for emergency case with doctors.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic