Approved Schemes of Service for Nurses in Nigeria

Do you have a question only another nurse can handle? This is the place to post it.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

Approved Schemes of Service for Nurses in Nigeria

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

As a fall out of the recent protest of the national association of Nigeria nurses and midwives demanding implementation of a unified scheme of service, Jude Nwaobi of the Nursingworld Nigeria team went digging and dug up this from our archive.

Detailed below is a circular from the office of the head of civil service of the federation dated 1st December 2006 with reference number CND.100/S.6/VOL.11/115 and addressed to the chief of staff to the president, chief justice of the federation, secretary to the government, honorable ministers, IG of police, Chairman federal civil service commission, perm sec etc

As obtained by Nursingworld Nigeria, the circular is titled "APPROVED SCHEMES OF SERVICE FOR NURSING ASSISTANT AND NURSING OFFICER CADRES" and reads:

The National Council on Establishments (NCE) has approved two separate cadres for nurses namely; the nursing officer and the nursing assistant cadre structured as follows:-

A) NURSING OFFICERS

i) Nursing officer 11/ Nursing tutor 11 GL.08

ii) Nursing Officer 1/ Nursing Tutor 1 GL.09

iii) Senior Nursing officer/ senior nursing tutor GL.10

iv) Principal Nursing officer/ Principal Nursing Tutor GL.12

v) Asst. Chief Nursing officer/ Asst. Chief Nursing Tutor Gl.13

vi) Chief Nursing officer/ Chief Nursing tutor Gl.14

vii) Assistant Director GL.15

viii) Deputy Director or Director state Gl.16
ix) Director (Federal) Gl.17

B) NURSING ASSISTANT

i) Staff Nurse/Midwife/ Asst. tutor 111 GL.07/3

ii) Senior Nursing Sister/ Nursing supt/ midwife/asst. tutor 11 Gl.08

iii) Senior Nursing sister/senior supt./Midwife/Asst. tutor 1 GL.09

iv) Matron ii/Principal supt./midwife 11/senior asst tutor GL.10

v) Matron i/Principal nursing supt./midwife 11/senior asst. tutor GL.12

vi) Snr. matron/asst. chief nursing supt./midwife/principal asst. tutor Gl 13

vii) Chief matron/chief nursing supt/midwife/chief asst. tutor GL.14

This is where the term "Unified" comes into to play, The NANNM is asking that there should be a single pathway for career progression in the civil service and not two separate cadres for nurses.

The memo as obtained by nursingworld continues, any officer in the nursing assistant cadre who acquires additional qualification in any of the nursing related courses such as B.Sc Nursing, Bsc public health, community health and ALLIED COURSES Shall be eligible for conversion to the Nursing Officer cadre.

The circular ends by stating that it takes immediate effect and is signed by Mahmud Yayale Ahmed, CFR, Head of the civil service of the federation.
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: Approved Schemes of Service for Nurses in Nigeria

Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi :
Let us agree with the Nannm presentation, I have gone through it and found out it accommodates all we are agitating for. We may never achieve anything unless we put our house in order. We must not mess up or lower our integrity with the new minister. Let us come together and speak with one voice. We must not allow govt to play on our intelligence. We just have to start somewhere so that we can move forward!. This is a passionate plea!!!
Let us put aside, those things that divide us, and come together to find the way forward. Almost 50% of nurses are graduates now and out of the remaining 50%, about 25%are in school, so what are we really fighting for. I went through the scheme, it is much more favourable to graduate nurses. If I have the option to start nursing again, I will never join the service with only professional certificate if the unified scheme is approved. The difference between a young graduate nurse and a professional nurse from school of nursing at the point of entry is very clear and far away from each other. Let us come together so that we can form a formidable force against the people that are marginalising us.
Nurses Should Stop Complaining
All we need to excel is unity of purpose!!!
In Unity We Stand
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

If Unified scheme of service is stating that RNM will be on grade level 8, interns on grade level 9, Full fledged Bsc nurses grade level 10 then every one progresses to grade level 17, where you join nursing profession cum civil service is individuals' choice, what are we fighting for?. We should rather fight for actualization of Unified scheme of service which will automatically usher in internship and then bridging nursing programme, in my opinion, this will bring unity and progress in Nursing, school of nursing MAY die a natural death. UGONSA wants RN to stop at grade level 14 because it is equated to HND, but civil service rule state that professionals from HND can get to grade level 17, thank you.
By Funmilayo Sodunke Oderinde
MY OPINION!
Whatever steps or efforts nurses are making to get their degree, should not be frustrated by any one, especially those of the household of nursing herself. Have we ever considered the population of nurses in Nigeria?, how many University are available and ready to meet their needs? . We are in a transition period, we need this transformation urgently. We need to use every available means, to get what we want so that we can move forward in a good number. We have delayed for too long, therefore anyone castigating or running down any process of education which the federal govt did not frown at is a clog in the wheel of this present change and an enemy of nursing profession. If the present seniors have the grace and energy to join in the March for change, why should we discourage them. They will serve as catalyst to stimulate the upcoming generation to key into the change vehicle. Whether they travel abroad, or stay back home to further their education. So far, we need change, non of these system is easy to come by. It is not easy at all. My candid advise is that we should stop running down the efforts of those brave and brilliant nurses who are stepping out in various direction to get all the degree accrue able in nursing. Talk well about your profession, have the right attitude, to work and to people,especially your clients, let the education and certificates transform to good attitude, good services, good renumeration, good morals. Nursing is good and we will be alive to see it transformed into what we all desire. Keep the good work on my angels on the wards and units. Without you there is no hospital!!!. Never go weary in well doing.................Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

THE NEW SCHEME OF SERVICE IS BENEFICIAL TO ALL NURSES.

Different entry and exit points for both pathways i.e. RN & BNSC. GL 8 & 10 for entry points and 14 and 17 for exit points respectively. It's a scheme that will benefit all and sundry at the end of the day as there'll be a seamless career progression for nurses with Rn/Rm who later bagged their BNSC to the next level without being made to retrogress from 14 - 9 in the name of conversion to officers' cadre as seen in some states. It's also of great benefit to nurses with BNSC bcos the much talked-about internship is incorporated in this scheme.

During internship, they'll be placed on GL. 08, during NYSC on GL. 09 and at employment on GL. 10. The scheme is all-encompassing hence the name UNIFIED SCHEME OF SERVICE. Hence, all hands should be on deck to ensure the adoption of this scheme by the NCE whenever they meet. Let us as a matter of duty and responsibility to the profession shun every form of campaign of calumny against the scheme as we are bound to continue to shoot ourselves on the leg which is detrimental to the profession. This scheme could have been adopted by the NCE few years ago (2012 or 2013,which was the last time they met) but for the petition against it from some nurses and you know any house divided against itself can't stand.

It's high time we bury our hatchets and shun our differences for this noble profession of ours to leave its stagnant status.

In UNITY LIES OUR STRENGTH, UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE ARE BOUND TO FALL!!
GOD BLESS NURSING!
GOD BLESS YOU!!!

by Zuwairah Jibrin Gadu
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

On the Issue of a Unified Scheme of service for Nurses, Alhaji Abdulrafui Adeniji (NANNM President) had this to say:

Those who see the pursuit of a unified scheme of service as a retrogressive agenda should please go back to their drawing board and think seriously about why nursing is a profession. Why is there no balkanised scheme of service for medical doctors in this country? There is a unified scheme of service for medicine in this country, whether you are a general practitioner or consultant in your regard. There is a unified scheme of service whose characteristics is that your qualification determines where you come in and your exit position and what are the opportunities that are open for you.

It is not only Nigerian nurses that are adopting a unified scheme of service; this is the way it is all over the world. The scheme of service is not just a schedule of duty of a university trained nurse or the schedule of duty of a school of nursing trained nurse, it is the coming together of the outlook of what nursing profession is and that is what a unified scheme of service. For those who are criticizing this move, they should come close to the association and learn what we mean by this unified scheme of service. The unified scheme of service has the characteristics of accommodating everybody across board and this is not the first attempt at unifying nursing profession in Nigeria.

The IAP award of 1981 had already unified nurses in Nigeria, regardless of your institution of study; it has provided the basis for professionalism in this country. I make bold to say that university graduates have started graduating since 1960s from University of Ibadan and we have not been able to achieve professionalism in nursing until IAP award of 1981 because all these products come into the labour market and they don’t have a place to fit in. It was only at the introduction of a unified body known as the National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives which is a prerequisite qualification for a profession in a country that professionalism came into place.

Let me inform you that since 1972, nursing profession has been categorized all together by the act that has to do with professional practice in Nigeria. This was reviewed in 2000, now the NICN judgment has come to finalize everything about professionalism in Nigeria and what are we saying about this unified scheme of service that we have been proposing and pursuing for some time now. But become some people do not understand it and because of selfish approach, if I say I am a graduate nurse today I don’t think about diplomate nurses who are the people rendering the core clinical services, a consultant on the ward knows that the general practitioners are important and that is why when they are negotiating, they negotiate across and that is why a doctor who is a general practitioner in Nigeria today has an entry point of GL 12 and a consultant has an entry point of GL 15.

So also in this proposed scheme of service, a diplomate nurse that has just finished from the school of nursing has his/her own entry point of 7 and after a year according to the IAP award goes to 8. And if such person is doubly qualified, he/she comes into service on GL 8, a graduate nurse is expected to come in even interns on GL 9 by our proposal.

Where lies injustice in the unified scheme of service? And by this proposal, what we are saying is that like a pharmacist who is a general practitioner is capable of rising up to the highest level but they pave way for somebody who has Pharm D and a consultant in medicine will have an advantageous position over a general practitioner, so also when a degree holder is coming to become a director, somebody who is not a graduate nurse will rise to the same position but the person who is a degree holder in this area will become a director.

This is the future of the unified scheme of service and it is the world view, the emerging trend, the modern trend in professional practice all over the world. I will rather advise the people who are criticizing this to study more about professional growth and development and remuneration all over the world.

Why we are having health care professionals being rated low is because we are neglecting fact that a registered nurse who has passed through the examination is likened to passing a professional examination is like COREN, like passing through the law school, like being a chartered accountant or ANAN in accountancy holds a professional certificate and these people are recognized as professionals. If you do not recognise them as professionals, the salaries income and wages commission, the body who determines what you are paid will always rate nurses very low.

I want to appeal to the people criticizing this unified scheme of service to come to the world view of the profession all over the world today and see that a unified approach to professionalism is what we need. After all there are people who might have passed through the university, going for service but have not passed the nursing and midwifery exam. Such people cannot practice as a professional in this country despite being degree holders in nursing sciences because it is only that person who is registered by the nursing and midwifery council of Nigeria and I am happy that the nursing and midwifery council. The erstwhile registrar of the nursing and midwifery council of Nigeria was in the national industrial court and stood as a witness to show that nursing and midwifery council of Nigeria has no register for an assistant nurse cadre.

It is only professional nurses that are being trained and being licensed to practice in this country. So the pursuance of a unified scheme of service is in consonance with the thinking, the yearnings, the aspirations, the principle and then the methodology of the training of nurses in this country.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Here is the two separate schemes of service approved by the National Council on Establishments (NCE) for nursing assistants (diploma nurses) and nursing officers (graduate nurses).

A) NURSING OFFICERS (University trained nurses)

i) Nursing officer II/ Nursing tutor II GL.08
ii) Nursing Officer I/ Nursing Tutor I GL.09
iii) Senior Nursing oficer/ senior nursing tutor GL.10
iv) Prinicpal Nursing officer/ Principal Nursing Tutor GL.12
v) Asst. Chief Nursing officer/ Asst. Chief Nursing Tutor Gl.13
vi) Chief Nursing officer/ Chief Nursing tutor Gl.14
vii) Assistant Director GL.15
viii) Deputy Director or Director state Gl.16
ix) Director (federal) Gl.17

B) NURSING ASSISTANTS (School of Nursing trained nurses)

i) Staff Nurse/Midwife/ Asst. tutor II GL.07/3
ii) Senior Nursing Sister/ Nursing supt/ midwife/asst. tutor II Gl.08
iii) Senior Nursing sister/senior supt./Midwife/Asst. tutor I GL.09
iv) Matron 11/principal supt./midwife 11/senior asst tutor GL.10
v) Matron 1/Prinicpal nursing supt./midwife 11/senior asst. tutor GL.12
vi) Snr matron/asst. chief nursing supt./midwife/prinicpal asst. tutor Gl 13
vii) Chief matron/chief nursing supt/midwife/chief asst. tutor GL.14
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

The new scheme of service for all to review, but here are a few major highlights worth mentioning:

1) No mention of "Allied Courses" in this 18 page document. This is a good development and tallies with the recommendation of the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (NMCN) that no Profession is allied to Nursing. As it were, this scheme would certainly promote professionalism in Nursing as it would put to an end the quest for degrees outside professional nursing lines.

2) I noticed that this new scheme of service doesnt take cognizance of the Fellowship award of the West African College of Nursing (WACN), an award akin to a consultant status in the medical profession. This is a major oversight.

3) POST AND SALARY GRADE LEVEL
1.0 Nursing Officer 111 07
1.2 Nursing Officer 11 08
1.3 Nursing Officer/Nurse Educator 1/Nurse Intern 09
1.4 Senior Nursing Officer/Senior Nurse Educator 10
1.5 Principal Nursing Officer/Principal Nurse Educator 12
1.6 Assistant chief Nursing Officer/Assistant Chief Nursing Educator 13
1.7 Chief Nursing Officer/Chief Nurse Educator 14
1.8 Assistant Director /Chief Nursing Officer Special Grade 111/Chief Nursing Educator Special Grade 111 15
1.9 Deputy Director/Chief Nursing Officer Special Grade 11 16
1.10 Director /Chief Nursing Officer Special Grade 1/Chief Nursing Educator Special Grade 1 17

I was curious as to why holders of RN or RM should start one step back on GL07 as against the recommendation of the ministry of education which in 2007 approved for employment purposes that they should attract grade level 08. That not withstanding, this scheme proposes to place BNSc Nurses on GL10 post NYSC which is a good intention.

4) Methods of Entry and Advancement within the Cadre
- The new scheme allows for a single qualified nurse to enter into the Nursing officer 111 cadre on grade level 07, get a post basic nursing qualification on GL09 and advance all the way to grade 17 which is the director/Chief Nursing Officer Special Grade 1/ Chief Nursing/educator special 1.

Am not sure how feasible this progression would be, thus i would need to make further enquiries to ascertain if the civil service rule would permit for an RN with a Post basic nursing qualification to rise to the Directorate level. I am a bit worried that this might keep us stuck with the hospital based school of nursing and post basic nursing training as there would be no incentives for further studies for degrees in Nursing.

Again, what happens to the National Council on Establishment (NCE) stance that B.Sc Nursing is acceptable as minimum qualification for entry into the Nursing officer cadre.

5) Nurse Educator Program
I noticed this new scheme places so much emphasis on the Nurse Educator qualification. Masters degree, Ph.d and PGD holders are required to possess 6years, 3years and 9years experiences respectively to advance from SNO/SNE GL10 cadre to PNO/PNE on GL 12. Lots of years we talking here.

I certainly would more time to peruse this document and urge you to download it, Its your right to know what the future of Nursing is.

Jude Chiedu
Lead Editor at MedicalworldNigeria.com
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: The New Approved Schemes of Service for Nurses in Nigeria

THE NEW SCHEME OF SERVICE PROPOSED BY NANNM NOW EXPLAINED THE MEANING OF UNIFIED SHEME,,,,,, Therefore let there be peace ....

Different entry and exit points for both pathways i.e. RN & BNSC. GL 8 & 10 for entry points and 14 and 17 for exit points respectively. It's a scheme that will benefit all and sundry at the end of the day as there'll be a seamless career progression for nurses with Rn/Rm who later bagged their BNSC to the next level without being made to retrogress from 14 - 9 in the name of conversion to officers' cadre as seen in some states. It's also of great benefit to nurses with BNSC bcos the much talked-about internship is incorporated

in this scheme. During internship, they'll be placed on GL. 08, during NYSC on GL. 09 and at employment on GL. 10. The scheme is all-encompassing hence the name UNIFIED SCHEME OF SERVICE. Hence, all hands should be on deck to ensure the adoption of this scheme by the NCE whenever they meet. Let us as a matter of duty and responsibility to the profession shun every form of campaign of calumny against the scheme as we are bound to continue to shoot ourselves on the leg which is detrimental to the profession.

This scheme could have been adopted by the NCE few years ago (2012 or 2013,which was the last time they met) but for the petition against it from some nurses and you know any house divided against itself can't stand. It's high time we bury our hatchets and shun our differences for this noble
profession of ours to leave its stagnant status.

In UNITY LIES OUR STRENGTH, UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE ARE BOUND TO FALL!!
GOD BLESS NURSING!
GOD BLESS YOU!!!

By Samuel Borode RN, BNSC
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

UNIFIED SCHEME OF SERVICE FOR NURSES

NOTE: This New Scheme of Service replaces the hitherto existing Scheme of Service of year 2003 and Circular No. CND 100/S.6/VII/115 of December 2006 respectively for Nursing Officers, Nurse Tutor, Staff Nurse/Staff Midwife and Assistant Nurse Tutor.

1.0 POST AND SALARIES GRADE LEVEL
1.1 Nursing Officer 111- 07
1.2 Nursing Officer 11- 08
1.3 Nursing Officer/Nurse Educator 1/Nurse Intern - 09
1.4 Senior Nursing Officer/Senior Nurse Educator -10
1.5 Principal Nursing Officer/Principal Nurse Educator -12
1.6 Assistant chief Nursing Officer/Assistant Chief Nursing Educator -13
1.7 Chief Nursing Officer/Chief Nurse Educator- 14
1.8 Assistant Director /Chief Nursing Officer Special Grade 111/Chief
Nursing Educator Special Grade 111 -15
1.9 Deputy Director/Chief Nursing Officer Special Grade 11- 16
1.10 Director /Chief Nursing Officer Special Grade 1/Chief
Nursing Educator Special Grade 1- 17

4.0 METHODS OF ENTRY AND ADVANCEMENT WITHIN THE CADRE

Note: All promotions and transfers are subject to vacancy and satisfactory service record.
4.1 Nursing Officer 111, Grade level 07
4.1.1 By direct appointment of a candidate possessing single qualification of Registered Nurse (RN) or Registered Midwife (RM) certificate registration by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
4.2 Nursing Officer 11, Grade Level 08
4.2.1 By advancement of a Nursing Officer 111 who has spent twelve (12) calendar months on the grade.
4.2.2 By direct appointment of a candidate possessing the Registered Nurse (RN) and post basic nursing qual9ification registerable by the Nursing and Midwifery of Nigeria.
4.3 Nursing Officer 1/Nurse Educator 1/Nurse Intern, Grade level 09
4.3.1 By promotion of a suitable and confirmed Nursing Officer 11 who has spent at least three years on the grade.
4.3.2 By direct appointment of a candidate possessing the qualification specified in sub-paragraph 4.2.2 above and has at least five (5) years cognitive experience
4.3.3 By direct appointment of a candidate possessing the qualification specified in sub-paragraph 4.2.2 above plus a post basic certificate from Nurse Tutor programme. 16

4.3.4 By direct appointment of an Intern possessing a First Degree in Nursing Science from an accredited institution approved by the Nursing and Midwifery council of Nigeria.
4.4 Senior Nursing Officer/Senior Nurse Educator, Grade level 10
4.4.1 By promotion of a confirmed and suitable Nursing Officer 1 who has spent at least three (3) years on the grade and has obtained additional post basic nursing qualification registerable by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
4.4.2 By promotion of a confirmed and suitable Nurse Educator 1 who has spent at least three years on the grade.
4.4.3 By direct appointment of a candidate possessing a Bachelor Degree in Nursing Science, registerable by Nursing and Midwifery council of Nigeria, and has successfully completed the NYSC or obtained a certificate of exemption from the NYSC.
4.5 Principal Nursing Officer/Principal Nurse Educator, Grade level 12
4.5.1 By promotion of a confirmed and suitable Nursing Officer who has spent at least three years on the grade.
4.5.2 By promotion of a confirmed and suitable principal Nurse Educator who has spent at least three years on the grade.
4.5.3 By direct appointment of a candidate possessing qualification specified in sub-paragraph 4.4.3 above plus a Post Graduate Diploma or Master Degree or Doctor of philosophy (Ph.D) in nursing with 9 years, 6 years and 3 years cognitive experience respectively.
4.6 Assistant chief Nursing Officer/Assistant Chief Nurse Educator, Grade level 13
4.6.1 By promotion of a confirmed and suitable Principal Nursing Officer who has spent at least three years on the grade. 17

4.6.2 By promotion of a confirmed and suitable Principal Nurse EducaTOR who has spent at least 3 years on the grade
4.7 Chief Nursing Officer/Chief Nurse Educator, Grade level 14
4.7.1 By promotion of a confirmed and suitable Assistant Chief Nursing Officer who has spent a minimum of 3 years on the grade.
4.7.2 By promotion of a confirmed and suitable Assistant Chief Nurse Educator who has spent 3 years on the grade.
4.8 Assistant Director/Chief Nursing Officer Special Grade 111/Chief Nursing Educator Special Grade 11, level 15.
4.8.1 By promotion of confirmed and suitable Chief Nursing Officer who has spent at least 3 years on the grade and has obtained qualification specified in 4.4.3 or 4.2.2 above.
4.8.2 By promotion of a confirmed and suitable Chief Nurse Educator who has spent at least 3 years on the grade and has obtained qualification specified in 4.4.3 or 4.2.2 above.
4.9 Deputy Director/chief Nursing Officer Special Grade 11/Chief Nursing Educator Special Grade 11, level 16
4.9.1 By promotion of a confirmed and suitable Officer Special Grade 111 who has spent at least 4 years on the grade.
4.9.2 By promotion of a confirmed and suitable Nursing Educator Special Grade 111 who has spent at least 4 years on the grade.
4.10 Director/Chief Nursing Officer Special grade 1/Chief Nursing /educator Special 1, grade 17. 18
4.10.1 By promotion of a confirmed and suitable Nursing Officer Special Grade 11 who has spent at least 4 years on the grade.
4.10.2 By promotion of a confirmed and suitable Nursing Educator Special Grade 11 who has spent at least 4 years on the grade.
5.0 Advancement beyond the Cadre
5.1.1 Officers in the Nursing Officer or Nurse Educator cadre who acquire any of the qualifications specified for direct appointment to any higher grade will be eligible for transfer/promotion to the grade.
6.0 Direct Appointment to Grade Level 12 and above.
6.1.1 Direct appointment may also be made to posts in grade level 12 and above but these would be proceeded by specific advertisement at the instance of the user Ministry/Department/agency or parastatals. Promotions from such direct appointment to higher grades are subject to confirmation of appointment.
sova163
Reactions:
Years of practice: 3

Unread post by sova163 »

I thank you for the information! I was looking for and could not find. You helped me!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1518976695466.jpg
FB_IMG_1518976682920.jpg
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic