N&MCN, NANNM News Release and Admission News
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

Nurses encourage to join politics

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

Nurses need to get into politic. Yeah! I mean real-time politics; not the associational one. For our collective professional fortune to improve, we have to have the mind for politics and actually participate in it.

As a profession, nursing has not been a major determinant of health policy in this country. Predominantly, nursing has been ina reactionary or responsive state versus creative role with respect to designing health policy.

We have stood on the periphery of power and politics for so long as a result of our inability to use our own force in formulation of health policies.

We take the back position when decisions affecting our destinies are being made, only to start crying wolf after the deed has been done. Crying wolf through protests, warning/actual strikes, petitions etc.

We are the largest healthcare worker; the closest to the people (through physical patient care) more than other healthcare workers. We have many advantages, yet we are the most disadvantaged.

With political involvement we can do a lot for ourselves. In the USA we have nurses are congresswomen. Compared with the doctors; more doctors are into politics (senate, house of representatives, governors and so on). They will always influence policies and decision to favour themselves. How many nurses do we have in power and politics? Why are we shying away from it. Nightingale, our leader was a woman who used her influence to achieve a lot for nursing. She had school of nursing, hospitals, changed a lot of things during her own time. Could she have done this if she had apathy towards politics or if she was parochial?

Women, who dominates this profession should do away with tokenism whereby women are put in their place by men. Women are now taking key leadership positions in the modern world, therefore nurses (women) should not be left out.

Education also enahnce political participation and recognition. Let us all buffer up educationally (Bsc, Msc, phd, professional certifications etc.).

I will stop for now till I publish my paper on this topic for wider audience.

Striving unto excellence!

By : Damilola Olusegun Adeaga
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: Nurses encourage to join politics

Lack of Nurses in Nigeria politics has made it visually impossible for decisions that will benefits us to be reached. Mere looking at some key decisions made in our health sector today. you will agree with me that it has been favouring a particular group and one need not to told that health sector has been highjacked by this same group of people.

For instance,It is sad to note here the office of commissioner of health in all the 36 states in our federation is ignorantly reserved for this group,about 3 to 4 serving governors today are also doctors.

This same act is applicable at the federal level where the two ministerial position is occupied by this same group. The affects of these are; decision that will better the lot of their members are reach since the other groups are no where to be found.

These act has made it impossible for hydro headed problems like Nursing internship,impossibility of an RN nurses to get their BSc to be resolved.

Therefore, all degree Nursing awarding institutions and Nursing schools should with immediate effect introduce POLITICS as a course and made a compulsory all student.
School politics should be encourage and payed more attention to, this will groom future Nurse politicians.

Nursing schools should as a matter of urgency award BSc scholarships to students with As in order to encourage them to get the required qualification in vying for higher position.

Finally, My fellow colleagues lets rise to the occasion! lets have more PhDs rather than RNs, lets wake up from slumber ! lets politic! YES WE CAN DO IT!

GOD BLESS NURSES.

Yours brother.
Nrs Charles.
Aunty Nurse
Reactions:
Years of practice: 25

Unread post by Aunty Nurse »

Dear professional colleagues,there is something I keep in ruminating about which bother about the subject matter.And recently, the issue is becoming more visible in my mind, most especially when I went through the ministerial nominee list sent to the house and discovered that no Nurse made the list where we have about 7 Doctors confirms as minister.Then where are we going? How do we lift up this our profession, the current senate president is a Doctor as well as many of them in the house both upper and lower chamber.

Instead of thinking on ruminating on this with a view of making amends our senior colleagues take solace in washing our dirty linen outside and frustrating efforts and ambition of those who show interest in politics even the local internal politics for liberation at our local unit.example is the current Lagos State NANNM election where the "THINGS FALL APART"leading to care taker committee due to egocentric acts of our so called Nursing elders even though a particular notable elder who spent most if his Nursing carrier as a unionist but still after retirement stay around to divide the house he claimed he has built.May God help us.
This is a clarion call,Nurse let's wake up politically to carry this profession to greater height we also need political power not only academic.Remember Mrs Gowon used her political influence as a nurse to give us level 7 entry point today.God bless Nigeria Nurses happy month end.

Awodele Samuel
Human dignity, compassion, dedication, integrity, leadership & excellence. I love my job
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

President Muhammadu Buhari sworn-in two Medical Doctors Isaac Folorunsho Adeoye and Osagie Ehanire to head Ministry of Health.

My response: I was not surprise because of the following reasons

1). When we say Nurses should participate in politics, We mean National Politics and not only NANNM politics.
Our nursing leaders of today are good in manipulating NANNM politics/elections but when it comes to national politics and service to their immediate community they are somewhat shirkers. For example, most of doctors are periodically volunteering for free medical consultations to their community, How many NURSES are doing that?
Volunteering benefits both the individuals and society at large by strengthening trust, solidarity and reciprocity among citizens and by purposefully creating opportunity for participation in politics.

2). The power of social media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn etc in this democratic era can not be overemphasized but Nurses attitude and use of these platforms is not encouraging. For example non of these accounts of Nursing and Midwifery Council Nigeria and National Association of Nigeria Nurses And Midwives that is active unlike NMA's. Even the facebook accounts of NANNM National President Abdulrafiu Alani Adeniji Abdulrafiu Alani Adeniji that suppose to be an information hub for nurses are not so active since he won the election that made him what he is now.

3). The new Minister of Health is a Professor of Medicine and former VC of University of Ibadan, How many professors of nursing do we have and how many among them participate in University politics or Contested for the post of VC? It is this kind of politics that bring them where they are, Eg Former INEC Nigeria chairman prof. Attahiru Muhammadu Jega was a former President of Academic Staff Union of Universities and VC of Bayero University Kano. All these kind of struggle help in making them popular in our contemporary Nigeria. Agree?

Please let NURSES wake up from slumber.

Solutions:
1. The more numbers of nurses with higher qualifications (eg professors) we have the more chances of nurse being appointed as VC and Minister of the Federal Republic.

2. Nurses should respect and organize themselves at all level of practice whether Diplomate or Graduate.
Nurses with RN and those with BNSc are like Siamese twins (one cannot survive without the other). If you say BNSc graduate did not know anything then who would be your lecturer when you are pursuing your BNSc in the university? And if you are the type that say Diplomate did not know anything then who would be your mentor/teacher in the hospital during clinical postings?

3). I am the type of person that believe in "people should be rated/placed base on their qualifications whether in civil service or academia"

THANKS.

By: Ismail Nasiru
jennygreens
Reactions:
Years of practice: 1

Unread post by jennygreens »

I support the project and I will join it!
Queenet
Head Nurse
Head Nurse
Reactions:

Unread post by Queenet »

What do you think are the reasons many nurses do not actively want engage in politics?
"Changing how the world thinks about nursing".
gilesfinance
Reactions:
Years of practice: 1

Unread post by gilesfinance »

HOW TO JOIN IS THE PLATFORM
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic