N&MCN, NANNM News Release and Admission News
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

RN, BSN Let there be unity.

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

UNITY IS NEEDED IN NURSING PROFESSION.....Nursing profession has experienced a lot of challenges in its educational system and permit me to say that we nurses are not helping ourselves.

The challenges and struggles we hv encountered so far are bcos of disunity found in this noble profession. In the past decades, RN is a celebrated certificate in nursing that the holders of this certificate are not motivated or rather did not see the need to further their education and this jas pulled us back when it comes to meeting up with other health workers as we are viewed as a profession with little or no education at all as the case may be.
Recently, nurses have started making effort to further their education and it pains me to see nurses fighting each other, people with RN calling BscN nurses 'empty brain' while BscN nurses seeing the RN nurses as 'nurse maids'.

I have overheard so many conversations among the RN nurses boasting of knowing everything about nurses while the BscN nurses knows nothing. Out of curiosity, may I ask pls, what actually do u think u learnt in a nursing school that a BscN holder do not know, what is it that our tutors thought us, some of them do not even have a degree in nursing (no need for abuse, dats a fact) that someone that pass through so many professors of different discipline will not learn? Tell me that practical that u think u know so much that a BscN holder will not know now or later, since it took u like 3years to learn all the practicals in the whole world, what makes you think a Bscn holder will not learn it now or later.

Come to the BscN holders calling the RN maids, what makes you think you are more intelligent than they are? I was at a lecture one certain, a question was asked by a student and when d lecturer could not explain very well, d student said 'pls we are not RN nurses we BscN nurses so teach us like one' I looked at d student nurse in question and I was just imagining if d student in question can pass the PTS exam if giving d opportunity to go through nursing school. U are not more intelligent than they are, ur white is not different from there's too, many of u are not even more comfortable than they are, just because u've the opportunity to get into tertiary institution did not give u d right to look down on anybody.

All am trying to say here is we should learn to support each other, if you have RN certificate, don't get jealous when a BscN holder is being promoted or given special attention, don't try rubbing shoulders with them, just be happy for them, congratulate them and strive to get urs one day.

An Igbo adage says 'I ga abu ogbenye buru amonsu I.e. You can't be poor and be a witch at the same time, on the other BscN nurses learn to respect d RN holders too and don't look down on them because whether u believe it or not most of you are not better than them, u just have d opportunity they didn't have.

If that decision about BscN holders will not benefit you now as an RN holder, it will benefit ur relations tomorrw or ur child who will eventually be a BscN holder.

Let's fight together and move this profession to a greater height.

UNITED WE STAND! DIVIDED WE FALL!!
Am proud to be a nurse.

Written by: Orakpor, Chisom A.RN, BscN
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: RN, BSN Let there be unity.

A CALL FOR UNITY ANONG NURSES IN NIGERIA The need for unity among Nigerian Nurses cannot be over flogged, this is from backdrop of discordant tunes coming from Nurses in Nigeria. Division among Nigerian Nurses comes in many dimensions and it is multifaceted. Is it between Federal vs State Nurses, graduate vs non graduate Nurses, single qualified vs double qualified, senior vs junior Nurses etc.

While we are busy dividing ourselves over trivial issues our noble profession is being trempled upon by every jack, jim and Harry. It is common sight for you to see Nurses allowing people from other profession determine the fate of nurses, mostly to the detriment of the profession. Nursing has been turned into a battle field for class differences, where every sub group looks out for itS members. When we should be celebrating our differences and even use it as a weapon to champion our course, it has actually become our curse.

That you have advanced in Nursing should be a reason for you to help progress the profession through better input. The fact that you are well place should be a motivational reason to encourage others to aspire to such hights. You should remember those that covered for you, gave you words of encouragement, helped you in cash and in kind. A nurse somewhere and somehow assisted you to become ahead and that nurse is worthy of respect.

Bragging about what we have achieved, having superiority complex and arrogant pride will not move nursing forward. It is only QUALITY NURSING CARE that will move nursing forward. When the graduate Nurse brings her superior theory, the Diploma Nurse brings her great skills, the Old Nurse her experience, the young Nurse her strength, Nurses in state their ability to use what they have to bring care to the patients, the Nurse working in the Local council their patience, the Federal Nurse her expertise and the Nurse in private hospitals their resilience, then we will have a GREAT NURSING PROFESSION IN NIGERIA.
BY SOLOMON DANMORI, RN.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

STEP IT UP AND STOP THE IN-FIGHT

I am at lost at the level of our division in nursing that it makes me sigh in confusion. It amazes me how a simple post inquiring about sales of forms for school of nursing can generate so much heat and confrontation among nurses. The whole issue has to do with what we believe and our perception of the future of nursing in terms of education of nurses. Those who have a degree in nursing are looking at other nurses as retrogressive and not intelligent. They believe the problem of nursing is the “diploma” nurses. While the “Diploma” nurses on the other hand are looking at the graduate nurses as a bunch of unskilled, and ill prepared nurses who want to replace the doctor in the act of intimidation.

But is that the problem of nurses and nursing? Most definitely no! As I have pointed out on several occasions, nursing does not need this division, what we want is a united front to confront the myriads of problems facing us as a profession. Having complexes, both superior and inferior is bad for us.

Yes, the nurses who are trained in the conventional school of nursing are trained to acquire skills to function in clinical areas. They acquire these skills as early in training and it is emphasised till they are through with the training. So it is not surprising to see a 2nd year student performing practically more proficiently than a generic 400level BNSC student. But at the same time the BNSC student may have more theoretical basis than a nurse who has almost 10years of experience.
Nursing is a practical oriented profession so it is easier to see the impact of the “Diploma” nurse than the nurse with BNSC, but are we looking for robotic nurses???? NO!!! We need nurses that are skilful and intelligent. We need to incorporate the science to the art. It is our ability to marry the two that will bring the much desired growth that nursing so desire.

This bring us to the cross of the matter; MCPDP. MCPDP is such a welcomed development as it helps the nurse to learn and re-learn those things that they have learnt before and what they have not. But I am of the opinion that something be added to it to help in bridging the gap between the two divide. I believe introduction of subject like, Nursing theories, Critical Thinking, and in-depth teaching on nursing process will go a long way to assist the “diploma” nurse to add more insight to her practical skills. Practical sessions also can go a long way in helping those without much skill to acquire it. Use of model and other teaching aids can go a long way especially in hospital centres. Hospitals that run the programme should be encouraged to provide stimulation ward for us by the programme.

We need to step it up to get a highly motivated, well respected and intelligent nurse. Fighting ourselves over nothing is just giving our detractors an opportunity to play over us, and that just what is going on now. What we need is anything that make the nurse no matter her starting point a force to be reckoned with, a nurse who is both an artist and a scientist, a nurse whose hands has a dexterity and whose brains are sharp.

By Solomon Danmori
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Until we begin to speak with one voice, act together in defense of our profession, move together as a body in unity. Then our profession shall truly be great.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

To be RN you must pass a prescribed examination by nursing and midwifery council of Nigeria. Then you are registered and given a license to practice. That is what makes u a nurse in Nigeria. Whether you go to a school of nursing or to a university you all must write the examination and pass. Now that is what unite us.

All nurses in Nigeria are RN.
T
he difference is place of study i.e School of Nursing verses University. On this i believe pressure be mounted on NANNM and N&MCN to quickly work towards having a unified entry point of study. Meanwhile our RN should be our only source of unity.
Aunty Nurse
Reactions:
Years of practice: 25

Unread post by Aunty Nurse »

To you beautiful Nurses who passed through the schools of Nursing instead of universities i write,
In as much as our desire is to see all nurses acquiring BNSC and over time that BNSC becomes the least qualification in Nigeria ,you are not in anyway inferior until that dream materializes , we should do away with pride and leave the academic recognition and grading to the civil service commission and labour market.

Can we stop fighting over who is the greatest????????? Especially that there is no kingdom to inherit after the fight. Don't let anyone wear you the inferiority garment ,its not how you started that matters but how you finished.

Someone asked a question the other day ,if he /she should seek admission in schools of Nursing or the universities, that simple question sparked alot of argument here but as far as Nigeria Nursing is concern ,it doesn't matter which route you started from the choice is yours to decide ,where it will be wrong is how you ended your career. Career development and advancement should be our collective desire, irrespective of the route you started your career journey

For some of us who were privileged to go through the university and sees their colleagues from schools of nursing as inferior nurses ,you have missed it. Its not how you started , before you look down on them next time ,do well to give it time.

Aspiring nurses can go through the schools of nursing though its our desire that, the nursing school route being the longest route and time consuming route, fades away soon to leave only the university route valid but until then no one should look down on any and you are not disadvantaged for choosing the Nursing school. The difference in both routes is "opportunity "which opened to one and didn't to another

Its possible to go through school of Nursing ,top up as a BNSC degree holder and even acquire Masters degree ,proceed to Doctorate degree and leave some of us with the Almighty BNSC behind.

Dear Nurses,
Let love and unity bind us in this profession
say_No_to_discrimination

Say_No_to_Pride
Divided_we_fall ,
united_we_stand.
Great Nurses! The Hands that care!

By Omolade Odunayo
Human dignity, compassion, dedication, integrity, leadership & excellence. I love my job
sophiajames
Reactions:
Years of practice: 11

Unread post by sophiajames »

Its conceivable to experience school of Nursing ,top up as a BNSC degree holder and even gain Masters degree ,continue to Doctorate degree and abandon a few of us with the Almighty BNSC behind. Essay Writers UK
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic