N&MCN, NANNM News Release and Admission News
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

President Dental Nurses Association of Nigeria Interview

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

Alhaja Kudirat Bola Omisakin, who has a penchant for necklaces, is the National President, Dental Nurses Association of Nigeria (DNAN) and the president, Osun State branch. In this interview, she told TAIWO OLANREWAJU about her way of life and foray into Dental Nursing. Excerpt:

Background
I am Alhaja Kudirat Bola Omisakin, nee Adedokun. I am from Isale-Osun, Osogbo in Osun State. My father was a bicycle dealer who lived in Benin but now of blessed memory while my mother is a trader who sells yam flour (elubo) in bags.

Ambition
I wanted to be a soldier while growing up, but my grandmother dissuaded me against it. So, I chose to toe the nursing line but when the Dental Nursing was introduced, I opted for it because I love clean and white teeth and also because it was a new course. I will say I am adventurous and I wanted to know what the new course entailed.

Education
I attended Government Primary School, Benin City. Ijagba/Imoru Grammar School, Ondo State. I took the Diploma in Dental Nursing and Certificate of Community Health Officer at the School of Health Technology, Ilesa. My set was the first set and I did my Higher National Diploma (HND) in Dental Therapy at the School of Health Science, Tundun Wada, Kaduna.

Career

Immediately after my Dental Nursing Course, I was transferred to the health centre at Moniya in Oyo State, then to Ile-Ife in Osun State, to the State Hospital, Osogbo; to Ilobu, back to Osogbo and now at Ilesa, all in Osun State. Recently, I had the opportunity to work with the Rwandan Army for two years. It was after I came back that I assumed my current duty at Ilesa.

Family
I have a happy family which is blessed with four children, three boys and a girl.

Best colour
My best colour is white.

Best food
I love beans.

Hobby
My hobby is farming. I love farming and I have a small farm at home.

Fashion sense

I am more comfortable in English wears than in native ones. I also love to wear necklaces, especially if it is gold stuff. I don’t forget to put on my necklace at all times.

Fulfilment

I feel highly fulfilled as a dental nurse who has risen to become a Chief Dental Nurse, the highest post a dental nurse can attain in the profession. I recollect that the course was initiated by Dr Ajayi Obe, now late. A dental surgeon himself, Dr Obe saw the need to train nurses to assist surgeons on the job just as regular nurses assist medical doctors. But unlike regular nurses who train for three years, we trained for three and a half years – three years of class work and six months of field work.

We were 25 students in the class during my set, which was the first set which resumed in January 1980, the second set in February 1981 and the third set in April 1982. We were all females. We completed our courses and were posted to different places to work.

The fourth set was a mixture of males and females; they took the examination and the interview but were stopped from resuming. It was the Ministry of Health which conducted the regular nurses’ examination that conducted ours too. We learnt that the surgeons kicked against the idea of training dental nurses, who they said would take over their jobs. We were trained to do extractions, scale and polishing and general care of the mouth. The regular nurses started a rivalry with us, saying that we should not call ourselves nurses; the Dental Surgery Assistants, now called the Dental Surgery Technicians did not also take it easy with us.

Advice
I urge students to go for Dental Nursing training which is interesting and lucrative; at the same time I want the government to recognise our association, the Dental Nurses Association of Nigeria (DNAN) as a body.

My advice to the populace is that they should take very good care of their mouth because if your mouth is not healthy, you are not healthy too. They should brush twice daily and visit the dental clinic every six months. They should also report any dental problem at the clinic while daily intake of fruits is good for their teeth.

Tribune
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
jacob_3
Reactions:
Years of practice: 1

Re: President Dental Nurses Association of Nigeria Interview

Unread post by jacob_3 »

Nice lecture! I would like to know the best dental education providing college in USA. Will dentist Manhattan Beach be better for dental training?
clark_2
Reactions:
Years of practice: 2

Unread post by clark_2 »

:)

artmuz52
Reactions:
Years of practice: 2

Unread post by artmuz52 »

Excellent post. Thank you very much!!