N&MCN, NANNM News Release and Admission News
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

STRICTLY FOR NEWLY QUALIFIED NURSES AND INTENDING NURSES

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

A LETTER TO OUR NEWLY QUALIFIED NURSES. ( STRICTLY FOR NURSES AND INTENDING NURSES)

Season greetings to you in advance dearly beloved, my heart is filled with joy to know that you have successfully concluded your general Nursing program, i can relate my dear as i was in this euphoric state of excitement many years ago, as you celebrate with family and friends, i would love to share a few words of advice from my Nursing journey;

THE LIFE OF A NIGERIAN REGISTERED NURSE.
Please note that nursing in Nigeria in terms of earnings and job availability is yet to attain a uniform status, if you work outside Lagos and few places like Abuja, Port Harcourt, you are most likely going to earn less than your colleagues.

2. It will be wise for you to save for the future, if you do not have sponsors, please save on a monthly bases, i will be practical on how much you need to secure greener pastures abroad, if you want to register for IELTS which is compulsory for UK,AUSTRALIA,US,CANADA, you need 68k(sixty eight thousand naira).,if you prepare well you may end up writing it once, in my case however i wrote this exam more than once.

3. CBT exam for the UK will cost you about 75 TO 80K depending on were you are and other expenses you may need to make before the exam date.

4. You will need to make payments to the British NMC for your credential assessment and verification, that will cost about the same amount, school transcript will cost you money, Nigerian nursing council will charge you for certificate verification, all your documents will need to be sent to the UK, some will be uploaded, others sent directly, if you add this up you will see that you need about 250k or more to conclude your process and that is if you pass all your exams at once, you will need to purchase or photocopy your Royal Marsdern textbook, it will cost money, this and many more are reasons why you need to work and save money if UK is your target.

EDUCATIONAL OPTIOINS
Open University is available for you to start up and upgrade immediately if you are not a graduate Nurse.

UK Universities like Anglia Ruski, University of Sunderland will cost you about 4million,if you have a sponsor, it is a good option as IELTS is waved off for you after graduation as you can go ahead to write your CBT exam and complete your nursing registration process but how about the school fees, very expensive if you cant afford it then you need to try other options.
Direct entry to Nigerian University is also an option for you, if you have a degree already you might decide to pursue further degrees in public Health In countries like America, they are better, more reasonable and can provide you an avenue to work and live in the US.

POSTBASIC NURSING.
One of the mistakes i made was going for postbasic Nursing, my sisters and brothers, if you have a diploma in Nursing, the best idea would be to obtain a degree, postbasic nursing is hyped, it will not change your status when you get to the Western World as it only gives you psychological satisfaction that you have done something extra, i would advice that you rather use the money for postbasic to write board exams, pursue your degrees or better still go for certifications on Safety and Health, BLS, ACLS and diversify,Nigerian system of certificate classification in Nursing gives Postbasic Nursing a very disheartening status that only has value when you are stranded in a government hospital, if you go abroad even in South Africa, you are certified in any postbasic field by simply working in that unit for a specific period of time, be wise, spend your money with wisdom and pursue your dreams.

WORKING WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.
FMC hospitals, TEACHING Hospitals, General Hospitals have a salary structure that is yet to be reviewed to a reasonable and respectable salary scale, if you are deceived by the name and compound size, you will find yourself in a prison yard like most of your senior matrons, i worked with them for years, the salary will discourage you from giving your best, as a young Nurse, i would advice you earn higher until Nigeria is ready to have your services at the right pay, a typical example, my colleagues that have spent 10 years in LUTH are still earning less than 100thousand naira thats about 200hundred dollars, is that what you desire in life?, my dear newly qualified nurse think before you get admitted into their prison in the name of federal job, when i resigned and got a new job as a nurse else were, my salary currently is more than that of my colleagues who have spent about 14years or more in service be wise,ask questions, demand for more, study for more, pray for more, travel wide for more, you deserve more.

WORKING WITH THE PRIVATE HOSPITALS
Your time with the private hospitals should be strictly for the purpose of sharpening your skills, learning and practicing what you've been taught, it is not a place to go and relax, it is also a place to save money to plan for the future while you wait for your dreams to come through, do not relax there, do not argue with their Auxillaries, if you can strengthen your hands on the job that will be great, please be hopeful, one day we will win the war against quackery in Nurisng here in Nigeria.

WERE TO LOOK FOR JOB INSTEAD.

Male Nurses and Female Nurses should not limit themselves, when you get your experience, you can apply in oil firms, construction firms, multinationals, NNPC, Military and parlamilitary, Navy,Airforce, Immigrations, Police, Nigerian Prisons, NNPC, Customs, Samsung, Nestle, the list is endless, we are usually afraid that we wont get, but shell are still recruiting on Locum basis, Mobil etc, when you take up the contract jobs or call duties you can raise money and move on to your dreams.

You need to know that you can get to the top, you have to change things, do things differently if you do not want to retire as your matron, if you must go far, you must be visionary,

LIFE WILL GIVE YOU WHATEVER YOU DREAM AND PURSUE CALCULATIVELY SO DREAM HIGH.

From Nurse Emeka Nwosu
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: STRICTLY FOR NEWLY QUALIFIED NURSES AND INTENDING NURSES

MY SECOND LETTER TO NEWLY QUALIFIED NURSES IN NIGERIA.

Strictly for our Nurses in Nigeria intending to work in the United Kingdom.

Just before you Board a flight to the UK. (Dear Nigerian Registered Nurse.)

Calvary greetings to you in Jesus Name. My dearly beloved collegues i am excited that you have finally taken a decision to relocate to the UK, i want to specially congratulate you for passing your ielts with ofcourse the required band score of 7 in each of the sections (reading, writing, listening and speaking). I also want to rejoice with you on sucessfully writing and passing your CBT exam which am sure you know is computer based exam that must have cost you a little above N75000 (Seventh five thousand naira).

If you have your collegues who may have just getting started with their Nursing dreams please share with them the materials you used or refer them to my wall where they are expected to get ielts e-texbooks and CBT exam preparatory materials for free, please support others dreams.

What is next
Now that your ielts and CBT is cleared, i am sure that you have prayerfully choosen an agency from your numerous available options seeking to assist you with your relocation process, please note that you are in high demand, if you must make a choice then it has to be at your terms
CHOICES OF AGENCY.
A good agency should be able to give you options to choose from, like working with the NHS, Nursing homes if thats what you want but ensure that in the contract you are signing, that their is an agreement that you will be given training for OSCE, that your visa, flight fee, pick up from the airport and accomodation for your first few months are covered to ensure your smooth soft adaptation especially if you are coming during this cold season.

A good agency will have a good track record with keeping their promise so please check them up online, ask questions and above all be prayerful, were as your sucess in the UK is largely dependent on you, these agencies have a way of giving you a good start and help you to quickly integrate into the system.

Please try to avoid offers located in cities with high cost of living as you will not be able to save a dime, people saay that northern ireland and the midlands withing England have low cost of living, prayerfully make your choice but remember that if you live close to London you will pay a lot on rent and will not save like my friend living in Birmingham.

NOW THAT YOU HAVE AN AGENCY.

Please note that you can travel with your spouse, your agency will not be responsible for their relocation cost, you need to have about 630 pounds for each of your dependants like your spouse and each of your children, this amount must be in either your account or that of your husband for at least 3 months before visa application is made. So as soon as you have passed your exams, even before you connect with an agency please find a way of getting this amount and having it in your account or spouse account, your visa and travelling expenses is free but you need about 260 thousand for each of your dependants kept in the bank for 3 months before visa can be applied, failure to do this means you cannot move with your family member immediately, you will have to fill for them after you must have settled in the UK which usually takes 6 to 8 months.

VISA APPLICATION PROCESS.
Now i want to believe that you applied for tier 2 general where your recruiting body raised a certificate of sponsorship for you, they will pay for your health insurance, visa fee and all you need to provide is the following:

1, UKVI test result as you need this ielts result with a band score of atleast 4

2, you will need to do a test to check for tuberculosis to ensure you are medically sound, this will cost 50k and above please ensure you do this with IOM (British designated center).

3,Your employment details and prove of communication with your recruiting agency so keep your communications with them intact.

4,Your certificate of sponsorship and of course your international passport.
Your marriage certificate if you are relocating with your hubby and children.
Visa application usually takes 21 days for you to have your passport returned to you so congratulations in advance as i am persuaded that nothing can truncate your dreams at this point when you have prayerfully follow these few steps.

NOW THAT YOUR VISA IS OUT.

Congratulations my dear colleague, i join other God fearing Nurses from Africa to wellcome you to the UK, the journey to your destiny has just begun, as you celebrate please be reminded of the following;

1, Be reminded that the cold is real and on time and you need to make adequate preparation to cover properly and please take a flu vaccine as soon as you can.

2, Please pursue your NMC registration with all you have, dont be distracted or carried away by money or friends, dont let family back home distract you with calls and sending money, face your OSCE and pass it as soon as you can, just like ielts osce is all about practice, once your skills are perfected, your confidence level will appreciate and you will go and crush this exam, if you have any confusions please do not fail to ask questions from people that have gone through this process.

3, As soon as you pass your OSCE please focus on perfecting your professional skills and confidence, learn more about the culture and people, they are different from what we have back home, dignity, confidentiality, handling of patient, relating with your collegues is a bit different as they are on another level professionally, cleaners and potters are no less members of the medical team.

4, Ensure you save money as much as you can, if you left your spouse behind please save, use more of your credit facility but be frugal, do not shop down all the cloths on sales as their may be time for that in the furture.

5, Please identify with children of God, look for a church were your soul can be kept ablaze for God, the church also helps to give you more information and guidiance about were you live.

6, Please note that their are bills to be paid, your ability to suceed financially is dependent on spending less, just like Naira, Pounds can grow wings, people live so much on credit so manage your spending and take more overtime duty early enough to be able to bring in your spouse.

7, A lot of people are carried away by vacation, please keep it aside at the moment, this will eat deep into your savings, their will be time for that in the future, he that laughs last has it all, please take more shifts and have your family join you as their is reward in joining forces with your spouse.

FINALLY BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY.
Start your journey with a dream that is bigger than you and making money, have a plan, 10 years from now will you still be relevant?, will you give back to Nigeria?, when will you come home to change things and make an impact in our local nursing, will you help other collegues back home, will you organise seminars just like the ones our matrons attend in America wasting money for nothing, will you help bring foreign but flexible and adaptable new ideas and approach to patients nursing care to improve Nigerian nurses who maybe stuck by marriage, age or calling. Do you want to leave a legacy in nursing before you die, whats your nursing dreams?, sorry to ask you please where will you be buried?, i have made my own decision, i will give my best to support Nursing in Nigeria thats why i spent time this midnight cooking this message and when i die i want to be remembered for my faith in Jesus and my passion for a new face of nursing in Africa.

Once again i welcome you to the UK as i look forward to recieving you when you land in Hethrow or Gatwick Airport.
From your brother in the struggle Nurse Emeka Nwosu (Nurse Membrane.)
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Thank so much Mr Emeka. God bless you for this informative write up. I hope this contribution to nursing will help change Nursing in Africa.

We look forward to many more area of improvement.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Dear Young Nursing Graduates,
First, let me congratulate you on the success of your final examinations, I knew you would do it and I’m glad you did. You’re born for success and a champion is who you are.
As future leaders of our dear profession, nursing, I see it as a rare priviledge to write you this letter.
spare a few minutes and join me as we stroll down the corridors of nursing practice. You have joined the nursing fraternity, so you must love nursing (someway or other) and love it deeply, or else you will have to live in regrets and frustration for the rest of your lives. But let me assure you that there is no profession more noble, more rewarding and more satisfying than nursing in its purest form.
Nursing is not just a vocation; it is more than a profession,it is Sui generis. It is an art of lifetime service to humanity. In the following paragraphs, I would be sharing with you how you can make this profession fruitful, interesting and a rewarding one for yourselves.
- Set SMART goals: - What do you want out of your nursing career? - Where do you see yourself 5 years, 10 years and 15 years from now. - What needs to be done to get you there? -Who are the key actors to help you?
- Be Street Smart: - Have the ability to think on your feet -Being smart may land you a job role but being street smart will help you navigate the complex challenges that comes with the job.
- Have an action plan: - Create a plan on how to achieve your goals. - Have option A, B & C - Break it into yearly, monthly, weekly and daily goals.
- Stay away from Negative people: - People who you surround yourself with could either build you or pull you down
- Talk about ideas, not people: - Build your network - Don't gossip -Keep the circle small
- Build a personal brand: -Create a positive online presence - When people google your name, what do they see? -Showcase your experience, knowledge and expertise online, not always posting photos.
- The best investment is self investment: - Read books - Attend seminars/workshops - Get a mentor/ coach - Do regular self audit / appraisal
- Embrace Healthy competitions with colleagues: - It pushes you to level up -its helps you step up your games
- Change jobs the smart way: - Pay increase shouldn't be a sole motivator for changing your job -Does it get you closer to where you want to be? - How about the organisational culture?
- Think Big: - Success is determined by how big you can think - You're what you think you are. - If you can think it, you can achieve it.
- Work politics in nursing is real, learn how to play this game
- Don't outshine your senior colleagues, they will set you up
- Workplace gossips will only land you in BIG trouble
- Befriend the MDT. Doctors, OT, pharmacist, physios etc. You will have access to quick update to enhance patient's care.
- Leave work at work, don't bring it home
- So many things will get you scared, never show your patients you're scared.
- Don't ever tell the patient you don't know, they will lose confidence in you, rather tell them, you're gonna have a look / find out
- Don't give empty promises.
- Never pity your patients, empathize instead.
- Ask for your break, book your leave, if you don't ask, you may not get it
- Never type or write when you're angry, it may get you in big trouble.
- Stop all nursing works when someone got you pissed off or made you angry at work, you can make errors. Find a safe place to let it out first.
- If it's not written down, it is not done.
- Keep a personal work diary
- Never steal or use medications at work, especially narcotics, it can land you in jail.
- Know your hospital policy by heart, it will safe you from trouble
- Always pray before you take over the shift.
- Delegation is not responsibility/ accountability
- Have a good relationship with colleagues
- If you use the last stock of supply, replace it or order another one
- Physically take over your patients and be sure there responsive, don't take over dead patient.
- Communicate your documentation and document your communication
- No one got your back ,everyone is at work to make a living and probably get promotion.
- Never compromise patients safety,
- The patients are the kings and queens, you're there to serve.
- Be respectful, Be polite
- Don’t display your ambition openly
-Never chase money, chase skills, knowledge , experience and your career, Money will chase you
- Be a solution, solve problems . promotion is earned by providing answers to problems.
- As you know,this piece will not end if I decide to tell you all you need to know to succeed in nursing at a go, therefore,do yourself a favour by following me on social media to continue to have access to career advice and tips you need to give you all round success in nursing.
You can follow me on twitter or Facebook.
Do well to join a community of young nursing graduates to share opportunities that will enhance your nursing career here:

Once again, welcome to the best profession on earth.
Your friend,
Kehinde Oluwatosin.
Kehinde Oluwatosin is a MSc scholar, healthcare leadership at the University of Hull, England. He's also currently training as an healthcare project manager in one of the leading institutes in the UK. He can be reached via [email protected]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic