N&MCN, NANNM News Release and Admission News
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

Tips to Kill Nursing Stress Before It Kills You

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

Stress is literally killing us. How do you stay a compassionate, competent and a cheerful nurse despite a busy shift?
stress.jpg
stress.jpg (15.31 KiB) Viewed 5747 times
In these challenging times, nurses have to do more with less. This makes them feel frazzled and frantic, instead of calm and efficient. Excessive stress can interfere with your productivity and deplete you physically, mentally and spiritually.

Some stress is normal and healthy. Eustress is the “good” stress that every living biological life form has. It allows us to be productive when everything around us is changing. But the U.S. Surgeon General claimed 80% of non-traumatic deaths are stress related.

Stress is literally killing us.

These tips will help cope with stress at work:

Breathe. The best stress reducer is slow deep easy breathing. Rhythmic activities, like breathing, laughing, walking, etc release endorphins in our brains and make us feel calmer. No matter where you are, you can take 3 minutes to breathe through your nose In-2-3-4 and Out-2-3-4, slow and deep, from your abdomen. Do this 4 or more times a day and during stressful situations.

Leave early. How many race to get dressed, gobble or omit a meal, drop kids at daycare, drive too fast to work, stop for coffee - stop! Try to add ten minutes to your nursing schedule to begin your day with ease, not stress.

Eat. Our stamina, patience, and efficiency are depleted when we aren’t nourished. Eat a meal before your shift. Eat nutritiously and timely during your work time. We know this. We teach it. Eat.

Run! Or walk, or take the stairs. Take a few minutes to jog up and down the stairs. Many facilities have exercise rooms or walking tracks. Take a ten minute break to do a rhythmic exercise. This will reduce stress and increase endorphin release.

Sleep and rest. The human body requires 8 hours of sleep per night. Stress and worry can interrupt sleep and the resulting fatigue contributes to stress. It’s a vicious circle. Shut off technology at bedtime. Take ten minutes during your shift and find a quiet place to close your eyes and rest to reduce tension and boost energy.

Laugh! It really is the best medicine. Laughter reduces tension, lifts spirits, and bonds us with others. In our stressful, sometimes painful work, nurses need permission to laugh. Create a laughter bulletin board for funny cartoon, jokes or old prom pictures! Smile…its contagious, making people and situations more pleasant.

Think Positive. We usually get what we expect in life, what we think about, what we visualize. Avoid negative people; they pull you down. Make a “Grumpy Jar” at work. Require all naysayers and stinking-thinkers to put a quarter in the jar for each negative statement made. Then have a Positivity Party with the proceeds!

Pray, meditate. Take a few minutes in the break room or bathroom (some days they’re the same thing!) to breath deeply and pray and/or meditate. Handing things over to your Higher Power takes the stress off your shoulders. Take a few minutes to stop by the chapel - that’s why it’s there.

Talk to someone (but not a stinking-thinker). Pick a positive coworker to share your thoughts and stressors. Often verbalizing the problem helps put it in perspective and reduces its stress. Be sure to use “I” statements (“I feel, I think…”), not blameful “They” statements (“They do, they always…”)

Take a break. It is difficult to leave needy patients and pressing duties to take a break. Yet taking 10 minutes to do some of these healthy strategies is a great investment of time. You’ll return to your job calmer, more efficient, and in better spirits, re-energized to give even better care.

Don’t worry, be happy. Some things are not worth worrying about. Realize the things you can change, the things you can’t, and have the courage to know the difference.
You can't always control the situations in your life, but you can control you. When you are healthy and strong in mind, body and spirit you’re more resilient to stress. Your calmness and ability to cope will be contagious and positively affect those around you.

How do you stay a compassionate, competent and a cheerful nurse despite a busy and stressful shift? Share your tips!

Source: http://nursetogether.com/nursing-stress ... h2N2S.dpuf
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Fronew
Reactions:
Years of practice: 4

Re: Tips to Kill Nursing Stress Before It Kills You

Unread post by Fronew »

I know that there is lot work pressure for the nurses who are working in the hospital because they always has busy schedule .They take care of the patients who are suffering from many diseases so they they need to overcome from the stress.I personally do exercise to stay away from the stress and I follow the tips from the where it helps me to maintain my work load.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic