Move School of Nursing to Ministry of Education Now.

N&MCN, NANNM News Release and Admission News
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

Move School of Nursing to Ministry of Education Now.

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

ise.jpg
One of the aims and objectives of NANNM is to raise the standard of nursing, we calling on now NANNM to call for the removal of Schools of nursing from hospitals and ministry of health to ministry of education to enable students come out with both professional certificate and institutional certificate that is quantify able and approved by the ministry of Education. Presently, we only have nursing department still been controlled by the hospitals, other hospital based institutions have left the hospital environment and they are better placed today in the universities under ministry of education. Even medicine that claimed to be all in all in the hospital is not hospital based, practicals can be attached to hospitals but the academic aspect should be under the ministry of education.

My suggestions are;
1. To start with, all schools of nursing in any teaching hospital where the university has department of nursing should be closed down, and admission to the department of nursing in such school be increased.

2. All others schools of nursing should be asked to affiliate to a university or be given at least 4-5yrs to do so or suffer being closed down.

3. The nurse tutors schools and their products should upgrade to enable them meet up with manpower requirements. Their training must be university based with minimum qualification being a master’s degree.

4. Efforts should be made to create enabling environment for all nurses to obtain an educational certificate from recognized universities.

6. All the present marginalization of nurses and attempt to subjugate them should be addressed. I hope you do not want all nurses to go on mass protest before addressing all these emergent issues.

Majority of nurses are earnestly looking for progress and changes. NANNM in conjunction with NMC should rise up to these challenges. They should not come up with the theory of scarcity of nurses because all professionals are scarce and they are jealously guiding their profession despite these scarcities. Nursing is been displaced all day long with the emergence of auxiliaries and the adhoc midwives trained by the government, the Doctors are out to make nursing irrelevant, but on fortunately they cannot do nursing cores. What will be the fate of nursing if we do not act now?, let us rise to these challenges so that posterity will not judge us.

Time is already against us!!!

By Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: Move School of Nursing to Ministry of Education Now.

I concur with this proposals. But, we were informed at the just concluded examiners workshop held at Bauchi state that, stakeholders in nursing profession rejected this move and likewise the issue of our certificate quantification. This statement was made by a representative from council. From my understanding again is that, there is no any suggestions and way forward made by the said stakeholders. If i may ask, what are their reasons for rejecting these proposals. i want to suggest this to N&MCN that, henceforth, if they want to take any good decision for the entire nursing force in Nigeria, they can create and generate nurses opinions through internet. Such opinion generating platform can be customized for the participants to enter their practicing license pin numbers for authentication, before they can be able to submit their opinions online. I think this will go a long way in making subsequent decision for the generality of the nurses in Nigeria. Finally, i heard that some group of nurses are trying to frustrate the approval and implementation of the recent proposal scheme of service for nurses in Nigeria. If this information is true, I'm appealing with the said group to eschew all their deficiencies and allow this long awaiting proposed scheme of service for nurses to be accepted and gazetted.

Danjuma Aliyu
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Danjuma Aliyu: Points to note " Efforts should be made to create enabling environment for all nurses to obtain an educational certificate from recognized universities. 6. All the present marginalization of nurses and attempt to subjugate them should be addressed. I hope you do not want all nurses to go on mass protest before addressing all these emergent issues. Majority of nurses are earnestly looking for progress and changes. National Association of Nigeria Nurses And Midwives (NANNM) in conjunction with Nursing and Midwifery Council Nigeria (NMCN) should rise up to these challenges. They should not come up with the theory of scarcity of nurses because all professionals are scarce and they are jealously guiding their profession despite these scarcities.
Ezekwem Nwabueze @ Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi, Good observation and recommendation. I totally agree with you that school of nursing should disengage from ministry of health and be managed by ministry of education with nurses still holding the principal offices in the new shift dispensation. I believe this will also help to spark an upgrade in training of nurses as well as help to create a link program between RN and BSN which do not exist now. it does not make any sense that after three years in school of nursing, you have to do a four year program in a university to get your BSN. Two years at most should be the maximum. NANNM should also write to NUC on schools that have defaulted on training nurses without proper accreditation. such centers should be closed down. I want to also add that NANNM should demand for total overhauling of the staff in NMCN in Abuja especially. Each time I deal with them i get totally dissatisfied. I am even made to know the building we occupy is a rented apartment, that does not also make sense to me that a profession as huge as ours cannot afford a building of its own.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Good day my professional colleagues.
Nursing Education should be under the Fed Min of Education, like other profession in the health sector.
1.Being under Min of Health (monopolised by medical doctors) means the profession will be under the whims and caprices of the medical doctors & medical directors who loves to suppress other professions academically & financially(salary wise).
2. Training/education should be under Min of Edu while health practice should be under the Min of Health like other health professions.
3. If nursing education is not under the Min of Education, it will be difficult for it to be accredited by the NUC. and if it is not accredited by the NUC, hardly could the certificate be quantifiable as OND, HND, BSc, MSc, etc. It will just be like a certificate of 1 or 3 year seminar attendance that's unquantifiable as NUC is not familiar with Basic or Post-basic status.
4.NUC & JAMB will not discriminate against male applicants.
5.One thousand nickers/boxers cannot be equal to one pair of trousers, thus, ten post-basic certificates cannot be equal to one BSc degree.
6.University Education for Nurses is now the trend in the civilized nations, we should follow suit/the trend.
7.Others have moved to the Min of Education, while should Nursing be left behind?
8.We need to prove our worth/salt/onion & walk tall among other health pros with university degrees to minimize inferiority/superiority complex.
9.Education confers on u a status. Higher education recognised/regulated by d Fed Min of Education/JAMB confers higher recognition.
10.Scheme of service for nurses is premised on recognisable certificate & not the certificate issued by ur Medical Director or even NMCN(which is not @ par with NUC/JAMB but just a professional regulatory body) as it is not NMDCN that issues Degree certificates for doctors.

Ola Oluyemi
I'll love your comment on this. Text or whatsapp me. Luv u. Ola, RN, RON, BScEd, MSc,MPH. +2348099559663, oluyemiclinic@yahoo,com
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

What we are saying in essence is that, there is need for restructuring, and re positioning of nursing education in Nigeria so that it will align with the way other health workers are trained. We cannot continue to struggle for what we have. Nurses are brilliant and ready to develop themselves and their profession, let the government give them the enabling environment to do so.

Stop creating more schools of nursing but make it compulsory for every school of nursing in all teaching hospitals to be absorbed by the respective university where it is sighted, and those that are not within university environment should either affiliate depending on NUC policy or fold up, to allow nursing to have a new face lift and accelerated progress, the current teachers in school of nursing should upgrade themselves in the university, this will enable them to fix in into this new programme because they will definitely be needed.

Nursing Council in conjunction with NUC will continue with accreditation and approval of such movement or affiliation so that standard specifications can be met. All post basic school schools should also be absorbed into this system at masters level, this will help nurse.

By Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

One of the ETHICS of Nursing says nurses must advocate for clients, subordinates and the profession, is NANNM at our various units ensuring that RNM are being employed on grade level 8 step 4 which is conhess 7 step 4 since 2007 as instructed by Federal Ministry of Education, will it take NANNM, NMCN and Nurses at Federal Ministry of Health millenium to actualize internship, proper placement of Bsc nurses at civil service, movement of school of Nursing to University and bridging programme for RNM.

Funmilayo Sodunke Oderinde
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic