When to say no to sex during pregnancy

Forum rules
The information contained on this web site is for information purposes and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prevent any disease.
Queenet
Head Nurse
Head Nurse
Reactions:

When to say no to sex during pregnancy

Unread post by Queenet »

There was a poser as to whether making love when pregnant was okay or not. Medical experts actually gave their approval that sex when pregnant was ideal. They affirmed that such would not lead to miscarriage or damage to the unborn baby, all things being equal.

This week, we’ll deal with some circumstances that can make your doctor advise you to avoid sex while pregnant.

Before delving into this, a short piece on what happened to a lady by name Uloma some years ago may interest you. It seemed difficult for Uloma to get pregnant. Three years after exchanging marital vows with Henry, she took in to her amazement because, according to her, she was tired of praying “and asking God over and over again to give me a baby. So, I decided to be patient after buying some baby items in faith in obedience to my pastor’s advice. My pastor actually told me to start shopping for my baby that such a faith would move down every mountain of barrenness in my life. I obeyed. But while waiting, I still continued seeing my doctor who advised me not to desist from taking my fertility drugs. It was when I felt unperturbed that I became pregnant really and I was happy. My hubby who was happier waited on the day he would set his eyes on his baby. But his hope was dashed because I later had a miscarriage. No other pregnancy came until after two years. I started my antenatal clinic at six weeks to avoid anything that would make that ugly situation recur.”

When Uloma noticed some ruby stains on her nightgown one early morning, her husband had to rush her to the family hospital which was a walking distance from their home. Her doctor after examining told her she was spotting but that her pregnancy was still intact. “Madam, what did you do before you noticed these stains?” he asked.

Uloma, in fear, told him exactly what happened. “It was Henry that initiated the whole thing. He was behaving like a dog in its heat, last night,” she said, casting a quick glance at her man who sat looking more confused.

“You shouldn’t use that language on your husband, madam, please,” the doctor said, hushing her. “But good a thing is that both of you are here. Now please listen to me,” he said, adjusting on his seat. “My advice is that you desist from having sex from now until when I would lift the ban. Usually, that is what I tell my patients who have had any bleeding or spotting in early pregnancy. They would have to desist from having sex until after 14 weeks. Before I lift the ban, Mr Henry, your wife will have to be thoroughly examined first.”

Your doctor too may have to tell you to avoid sex for some time or throughout your period of pregnancy if you notice, apart from spotting or slight bleeding, an abnormal discharge, a history of cervical weakness or cervical insufficiency, a low-lying placenta (placenta pravia), heavy bleeding, a vaginal infection, dilated cervix, ruptured membranes (your water being broken), and an outbreak of genital herpes. These or one of these is a circumstance in which you may need to modify your activity or abstain from sex until you are delivered of your baby. Don’t complain about waiting for too long to have sex. What is paramount is your safety and that of your unborn baby. If you notice any unusual symptoms during or following intercourse, such as pain or discharge, be sure to let your doctor know. If he says you can’t have sex for some health reasons, explore some other ways of expressing your love: cuddle, kiss, giving each other long massages, and sharing your feelings with each other.

Cervical weakness or cervical insufficiency: This is one of the situations your doctor would notice and he would advise you to quit sex. Cervix or neck of the womb is the narrow, tubular, lower end of the uterus that extends into the vagina. When you’re not pregnant, the cervical canal remains open a tiny bit to allow sperm to enter the uterus and menstrual blood to flow out. “Once you become pregnant, secretions fill the canal and form a protective barrier called the mucus plug. During a normal pregnancy, the cervix remains firm, long, and closed until late in the third trimester. At that point it usually starts to soften, efface (grow shorter), and dilate (open up) as your body prepares for delivery. But when you have cervical insufficiency, it means that your cervix is effacing and dilating prematurely (before your baby is full term). This might happen in the second or early third trimester if your cervix is softer and weaker than normal or is abnormally short to begin with, as the weight of your growing baby puts increasing pressure on it. There are usually no contractions or other symptoms. Cervical insufficiency is sometimes called “incompetent cervix” and it can result in second-trimester miscarriage; preterm premature rupture of the membranes in which your water breaks before you’re full-term and before you’re in labour.”

In this situation, you may be told to say no to sex until the situation improves.

Source
"Changing how the world thinks about nursing".