This page is STRICLY FOR NURSES POSTING, VIEW and COMMENT
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

School Of Nursing was Designed as a Proffessional school

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

Nurses are not given diploma, I wonder where nurses got the idea from that we are given diploma, after the Council exam we are only given a professional nursing qualifying certificate, a registration no, and a licence, to practice. So all we do in school of nursing is professional. Nothing like diploma in anything. The academic aspect is not quantified and that is a big loss for the nurses, hence the need to do another academic exercise in the university. Where BSC will be added to the professional certificate you already have. You will not repeat this exam again in university, but any university direct entry nurse who does not pass this exam cannot practice nursing. Hence the need for both to work hard, but I advise , that schools of nursing should be eradicated, living only six, one each in the geopolitical zones so that all nurses will go to university and come back to spend one year in the school of nursing for pure practical purposes as obtainable with lawyers and law schools.

We've had enough of merry go rounding. We need a drastic step to move forward. The only specified diploma we have is from post basic schools and probably universities who offers dip in nursing related courses. It is no sign of academic weakness nor inability to cope with academic responsibilities, but the nature of the training that makes a nurse spend three years in school of nursing but it is strictly the design of the programme which was aimed at production of sound and practical oriented nurses. It was and it's still hospital based. Hence, nothing was done about the academic exercises done on other core areas, general studies etc. Since Nigerians and Nigeria believes so much in certificates. We are now trying to move from hospital based patient centered training to a broader training that will accommodate both self development, patient focused with a robust academic package.

This has been the yearning of professional nurses for many years. But it seems the benefactors of school of nursing administration, the government and some nurses themselves will not let go. They failed to understand that nurses need to self development, and we are not the only professionals that are of high demand, they capitalize on scarcity of nurses to promote the continued existence of school of nursing, to the detriment of the professional nurses. We keep merry go rounding . heaping up courses under the hospital setting which are far above first degree but not quantified academically by ministry of education. Many Nigerian don't know what we go through to be a nurse, most people think it is the easiest school on earth until they enter and fail out, or their children ,or wards join the train , then begin to lament, "I never knew the course is as tough as this" . Nursing is not butter and bread, it requires great intelligence.

I appeal to the stake holders and nursing administrators to allow nursing programs to be redesigned, re organised and rearranged to meet with the system of education in Nigeria, so that we will not continue to waste our energy on academic exercises that have no quantification by ministry of education . Some nurses have two three degrees in their bid for looking for the way up, instead of moving up, they keep moving round. Many are almost frustrated and tired of going round on a spot. Other health professionals were formally hospital based but they have all ported, they have shifted base to the universities. Medicine, Pharmacy, lab science, dietetics etc were all hospital based before, why should only nursing training remain in the hospital without notable academic carrier progression ? I beg, let nurses off the hook! , This is computer age, we cannot afford to be crawling while others are flying. There should be a converted efforts to open up nursing department in the universities, We are also calling on wealthy Nigerians to invest in Nursing education,

A UNIVERSITY OF NURSING SCIENCE, THAT CAN OFFER ALL THE DIVERSIFIED COURSES IN NURSING PLUS OTHER HEALTH RELATED COURSES WILL BE APPRECIATED, I CAN BET WHO EVER DARES IT THAT HE OR SHE WILL MAKE A GREAT FINANCIAL GAIN OUT OF THIS.

THE ABOVE CAN BE ACHIEVED THROUGH COLLABORATIVE EFFORTS. THE TEACHING HOSPITALS CAN BE USED FOR PRACTICALS. A FIRST OF IT'S KIND AND STATE OF THE EARTH SCHOOL. WE REALLY DESIRED A TRANSFORMATION, AND I BELIEVE IT WILL COME SOONEST.

Olufemi Iseyemi Folakemi
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Grace Agochukwu
Reactions:
Years of practice: 1

Re: School Of Nursing was Designed as a Proffessional school

Unread post by Grace Agochukwu »

Well said! We really need to port so as to fly. Nursing is not a child's play. :roll: :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic