STROKE IDENTIFICATION: NEW INDICATOR, THE TONGUE

Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

STROKE IDENTIFICATION: NEW INDICATOR, THE TONGUE

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

Blood Clots/Stroke - They Now Have a Fourth Indicator, the TongueSTROKE: Remember the 1st Three

Letters....S.T.R. If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save someone.

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

A friend stumbled and took a little fall - he assured everyone that he was fine (they offered to call paramedics) .He said he had just tripped over a brick because of his new shoes.

They got him cleaned up and got him a new p...read morelate of food. While he appeared a bit shaken up, he went about enjoying himself the rest of the evening
His wife called later telling everyone that his husband had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 pm he passed away.) He had suffered a stroke. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps he would be with us today. Some don't die; they end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE
Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR. Read and Learn!
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke. A bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. It is sunny out today.)

R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other, that is also an indication of a stroke.

A cardiologist says if everyone who read this post could share it, you can bet that at least one life will be saved. I have done my part. Will you? Save some one!!!!!
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Aunty Nurse
Reactions:
Years of practice: 25

Re: STROKE IDENTIFICATION: NEW INDICATOR, THE TONGUE

Unread post by Aunty Nurse »

What is a stroke?

A stroke occurs when blood vessels carrying oxygen and nutrients to the brain suddenly become blocked or burst. When this happens, part of the brain can’t get the blood (and oxygen) it needs, so the affected brain cells die.

This can result to parts of the brain being permanently damaged. You may experience feelings of shock, fear and panic, which stems from not knowing what's wrong or whether you will recover.

Recognising a stroke: Smile, Talk, Raise both arms (STR)

There are varying effects of a stroke, from passing weakness or tingling in a limb to severe paralysis, coma or death.

Woman raising arms

By asking the individual these 3 simple questions, you’ll be able to determine whether or not he or she is having a stroke.
S - Ask the individual to Smile
T - Ask the person to Talk (simple sentence)
R - Ask him or her to Raise both arms

If the person has trouble with any of these tasks, call the ambulance and seek medical attention immediately.

Potential causes of a stroke

There are various risk factors which contribute to a stroke, such as hereditary (family history) factors as well as lifestyle habits. While some risk factors, such as family history cannot be changed – the following risk factors can be changed or managed:
• High blood pressure.
• Atrial fibrillation (an irregular heartbeat).
• High blood cholesterol.
• Smoking.
• Physical inactivity.
• Poor diet and excessive alcohol intake.
• Being overweight.
• Diabetes.
• Use of illegal drugs such as cocaine and crystal methamphetamine (tik).

What can I do to prevent a stroke?

healthy eating

Preventative measures and early detection is essential to help reduce the risk of a stroke and the effects which it may have. The following health tips may reduce your risk:
• Go for regular check-ups.
• Eat healthy, balanced meals.
• Quit smoking.
• Increase your physical activity.
• Find ways to lower your stress levels.
Human dignity, compassion, dedication, integrity, leadership & excellence. I love my job
Aunty Nurse
Reactions:
Years of practice: 25

Unread post by Aunty Nurse »

Anyone can be at risk of having a stroke. We can’t change factors like being older and having a family history of stroke or heart disease.

However, we can change unhealthy habits like smoking, being overweight, not exercising enough and other unhealthy habits. Love yourself enough to live a healthier life and reduce your chances of suffering a stroke.
Human dignity, compassion, dedication, integrity, leadership & excellence. I love my job
Kriskazy
Reactions:
Years of practice: 1

Unread post by Kriskazy »

Only God can help us against these diseases.
leximaddison
Reactions:
Years of practice: 1

Unread post by leximaddison »

Wow Nice Information
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic