Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content.
The information contained on this web site is for information purposes and is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prevent any disease.
- Kunle Emmanuel
- Posts: 2157
- Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:02 pm
- Location: Lagos
Breasts are probably the most beautiful part of a woman's body. They can easily be counted among one of the first things men notice in women. Women are always conscious about their breasts; however, with all due respect, they know very little about them. Apart from arousing sexual desire, breasts also symbolise beauty, femininity.
...We put together some lesser-known facts about breasts which every woman, or man for that matter, must know.
1. The left breast is usually bigger: It's little hard to notice but the left breast is always bigger than the right one. They are never exactly the same size. Nipples also come in varying sizes, and they also point in different directions.
2. Every woman has hair on areola: It's a big turn-off for men but it's a fact. Each woman has between 2-15 dark, straight strands growing. The darker your skin and hair, the darker the nipple hair. Breasts can also get blackheads and pimples. So, always take special care of your breasts.
3. Average breast weighs 0.5 kilogram: The average breast weighs about 0.5 kilograms. Each breast contributes to about 4-5 per cent of the body fat and thus 1 per cent of the total body weight of an average woman. Breasts get fatter as women grow older. Also remember that smokers will have saggier breasts than non-smokers.
4. Over 2 million women have fake breasts: From Pamela Anderson to Katie Price more than 2 million women have breast implants. The figure shows how much women think about their breasts. Not every woman who went under the knife is always pleased with the results. The average age of a woman who gets implants is 34.
5. Breasts get bigger when aroused: Breasts become taut when aroused.
6. Breasts don't like bouncing around: Jogging, walking and aerobics can cause your breasts to bounce around. Always wear a proper bra to minimize the bounce, so that you can also reduce your breast pain. Remember, the main function of bras is to protect the health of your breasts.
7. Breasts can go out of shape: It sounds strange but sleeping facedown can sometimes misshape your breasts. Always take care of your sleeping position so that you maintain the firmness and shape of your breasts. The best sleeping position is to sleep on your side, with a pillow under them for support as you sleep.
Whatever your age, size and shape, remember the breast awareness 5-point code:
1. You should know what is normal for you
2. Know what changes to look for (take a look at this image from our 'Taking care of your breasts' leaflet for a guide)
3. Look and feel
4. Tell your GP about any changes straightaway
5. Go for breast screening when invited.
The breast self-exam is a way that you can check your breasts for changes (such as lumps or thickenings). It includes looking at and feeling your breast. Any unusual changes should be reported to your doctor. When breast cancer is detected in its early stages, your chances of surviving the disease are greatly improved.
1. It is helpful to have your hands slippery with soap and water.
2. Check for any lumps or thickening in your underarm area.
3. Place your left hand on your hip and reach with your right hand to feel in the left armpit. Repeat on the other side.
4. Check both sides for lumps or thickenings above and below your collarbone.
5. With hands soapy, raise one arm behind your head to spread out the breast tissue.
6. Use the flat part of your fingers from the other hand to press gently into the breast.
7. Follow an up-and-down pattern along the breast, moving from bra line to collarbone. you can also apply the circular or wedge pattern.
8. Continue the pattern until you have covered the entire breast. Repeat on the other side.
Get Heart Smart! Have a nice day.
- Breast cancer.jpg (11.27 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
- Similar Topics
- Last post
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests