How Often Should I My Deworm Children?

For non healthcare worker who wish to express opinion on nursing and hospital issues.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:
Years of practice: 20

How Often Should I My Deworm Children?

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel »

Worm infestation is very common health problem. Parasitic worms like round worm, pin worm, hook worm etc spread to humans through untidy hands, unhygienic practices and poor sanitation facilities.

For instance, a barefoot walk on your lawn, a swim in a reservoir or a pool with untreated water or negligence on your part to wash hands thoroughly before eating or preparing food after gardening or unwashed salad or untreated drinking water or milk or fluids or under cooked meat or school going children in your family can bring the eggs from these parasites.

These small worms are barely visible to the naked eye, but the discomfort level and illnesses caused are varied in intensity and seriousness. An untreated worm infestation can even result in the host's death.

Hundreds of millions of children worldwide are infected with parasitic worms. Remember that these worms are detrimental to your child’s health, their cognitive development, their education and a brighter future.

Worm infestations often cause serious health problems and impact a child’s ability to attend and perform well in school, and another UNICEF report says researches have shown that regular deworming can substantially increase school attendance and significantly improve a child’s ability to learn in school. Eventually the growth rate and weight gain of children who are regularly de-wormed is pretty higher than who those who aren’t.

Chronic illness caused by worm infections reduces literacy and thus adult productivity thereby impacting on the economic development of low and middle income countries. Deworming is a process which helps get rid of worms that enter the human body.

Based on World Health Organization’s recommendations, to combat with the health and nutritional impact of helminth infections, WHO’s strategy is to deworm twice a year at the most to eliminate morbidity due to soil-transmitted helminthiases in children. Hence in most cases, deworming once every six months is sufficient.

We provide you with a list of seven facts that you need to know about the all-pervading worm infestation and getting rid of it via deworming:

1. Not only children but adults too are prone to worm infestations

2. Children above two years of age should be put under a regular routine of deworming to maintain good health

3. Worms enter the body due to lack of hygiene

4. The most common infestation are caused by the round worm, tape worm and hook worms

5. Lack of appetite, tiredness, anaemia, loose bowels, vomiting is all some common symptoms of worm infestation

6. Deworming every four to six months is the suggested frequency

7. Deworming should be done using prescribed drugs with appropriate dosages
Together We Light Up The Profession one candle at a time.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: How Often Should I My Deworm Children?

In addition:

Education on health and hygiene reduces transmission and reinfection by encouraging healthy behaviours;
provision of adequate sanitation is also important but not always possible in resource-constrained settings.

Finally: A common example of broad spectrum anthelminthic is albendazole. The dose depends on the age of the person using it and it also very affordable.

TIP: To help you remember to deworm yourself and your family members every 6 months, you could use the calendar method. You just draw a circle on the date that you took the last meditation, this should help you remember another one in 6 months time.

There is absolutely no need for you to take these drugs for deworming with sugar or another sweet food.

If you enjoyed the post, kindly share.
Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: How Often Should I My Deworm Children?

Prevention is better than cure.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic