Welcome to Naija Nurses Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content.

Nurse sacked for offering to PRAY with patients before surgery

Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Nurse sacked for offering to PRAY with patients before surgery

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:26 am

AN experienced nurse was sacked for offering to pray with fellow Christians before surgery.

Sister Sarah Kuteh has 15 years experience but was dismissed for praying with patients

She admitted she spoke to patients about religion without their permission when she started the new role, when she saw the question regarding religion had been left blank. But she stopped after a warning in April.

But she was sacked in August after an investigation after three complaints in June.

Just two weeks ago a report by the Equality and Human Rights Commission told employers to not allow political correctness stand in the way of discussing faith – even going as far as to say Christmas parties should not be cancelled.

Prime Minister Theresa May followed, telling Parliament during Prime Minister’s Questions: “I’m happy to welcome the publication of this report and its findings.

“Of course we are now into the season of Advent and we have a very strong tradition of religious tolerance and freedom of speech and our Christian heritage is something we can all be proud of.

“I’m sure we would all want to ensure that people at work do feel they are able to speak about their faith and do feel they can speak quite freely about Christmas.”

Patients are always asked questions about their religion before surgery

Mrs Kuteh, is taking her case to an employment tribunal, claiming she was not initially shown the complaints, making the disicplinary process flawed.

A spokesperson for the Trust said: “We have a duty to our patients that when they are at their most vulnerable they are not exposed to unsolicited beliefs and/ or views, religious or otherwise. We feel we have acted appropriately in this case.”

Express.co.uk has contacted the Trust for further comment

Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Re: Nurse sacked for offering to PRAY with patients before surgery

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:01 am

Comments archived from our facebook group forum.
Steel Declan Spirituality and Professionalism are two different things that must be separated.
Saratu G. Abdul Yes they are two different things but there is absolutely no harm when u incorporate one into another.
Saratu G. Abdul Please say my dear at least i can learn from u as well
Saratu G. Abdul Just got it u are a freethinker so no religion matters to u. Chapter closed.
Steel Declan: It's not the end of her life,God will give her a better job that those who sacked her for praying will know that she is really serving the only true God who can make the rocks to bring water,dear colleague just remain in faith.It is well.
Nikky King Hmmmmmm,God knows how he is handling his things in a different ways that is best known to him,he is working it out for her,its not a big deal,God will surely stood by her
Saratu G. Abdul This is sheer injustice how can u sack a Nurse just because she offered to pray with a patient? Wallahi Nurses we have a looooonngggg way to go.

Let's stand for our colleague pls
Oyindamola Seun Professionalism is professionalism and spirituality is spirituality,you can only persuade a client or patient on family planning method due to their dominion.
Mariam Omojolade Idowu God will take u to next level but be careful
Alarape Abolarin Folakemi Felicia The God Almighty that she is serving will not put her to sham I trust Him so much He is so faithful.
Merciful Mercy Oryizah When did she offer the prayer?? What was the nature of the surgery?? Was it emergency?? If yes why waste time, praying wen action is needed, you can even offer the prayer in ur heart, God sees that nd he will anwsa.. Even doctors pray in d operation room, while praying action is still on.. Take heart and learn from your mistake... Nd others too should learn from her.
Toluwalase Eweoya u really made sense, good point.
Nkechi Favour At juliet, there is time for every thing. Ur point is clear, wat I saw there is that the hospital could be own by a man or institution that doesn't know God. I have worked in a private firm at Edo state precisely wen I later knew that the emergency coming in was the medical doctor who owns the hospital was the doing it. So I quit the job
Nigerian Nurses lighting up the world one candle at a time.

Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:07 am

Jonah Ating There is time for everything, when in Rome do as the Romans
Okpanachi Enape So, the punishment for praying before surgery is sack? Except it is a laid down rule in that particular hospital or she abandoned some certain things she ought to have done, I don't see any offense here.
Betty Nangibo Nursing is a holistic approach, including prayers after all is God that heals while we care. She has done nothing wrong to deserve sacking, in d other way round dis is END-TIME, test of Faith, God will surely settle u for good in Jesus Name.
Miracle Olivia Chukwu You don't go praying for patients while you are on duty no matter the level of spirituality,unless,its part of your hospital policy. Where it's not applicable,invite the patient's priest or imam to pray for him.
She could have received a caution or query for that, not a sack,unless she has made it a hobby to pray for patients against warnings.
Oyiboadjeke Oghenero Juliet I really do not know what to say cos we re yet to get full detail of what really happened.To my colleagues....is there spiritual care and let us picture it.Many of us talk too much,see how we re tongue lashing a colleague on social media.Let's us wise up. Poster give a detailed account of what happened.

Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:11 am

Chiamaka Jennifer Recent researches are advocating that nurses should take part in caring for d spiritual care needs of patients, hence holistic care is d order... How then can nurses respond to spiritual care needs of patients?
Pls check up researches on spiritual care needs before u reply. Thanks.
Adeola Tolulope Dear colleague God will fight for you cos you rendered holistic care to your patient
Julie Idowu Wuraola Can someone just give me the current definition of health by World Health Organization(WHO)?
Benja Osolife Uduka WHO definition of health is generally known. It encompasses all states of health...
Have you ever given loan or cash to your patient in economic need?? Was that not captured in the definition?

Is there any WHO guideline on pre operative care that outlined praying or preaching?? If there is, share it here.
Toluwalase Eweoya The definition is for all in health. Others don't pray as such. R. time, place is ok. None is against spiritual care, but how, when & where.
Idachaba Juliana That's not end of road God disconnect you to connect you to destiny
Benja Osolife Uduka Patient was booked for a surgery not for a deliverance or exorcism!!
Praying and preaching religion is not a pre operative care.
People should get sense please.
Fatutu Ayomiposi Are you implying that people are senseless? Please clarify.
Benja Osolife Uduka Yes!
Mrs Kuteh appeared on TV an hour or so ago and what did she do? She persisted in her righteous, wilful misunderstanding. She told the presenters that if she asked any patient what they believed in and they replied that they had no belief, she would respond with 'Why not?' What could be more damning than that? And wasn't that a mean-spirited thing to say? Trying to guilt-trip patients into accepting her God.
Even then she can't see all this, she's immune to reality. Religions, particularly the so-called revealed religions, are atavisms at best. But when people like Mrs Kuteh come out with this sort of victim mentality and sentiments, they only remind me of early Christians of Roman Emperor Nero's time who were willing to die for the Jewish sun god with which they had replaced the Roman sun god. Folly does cast a long shadow.
Umeche John Disregards this post, prayer is part of nursing care.
If anyone can remember the definition of Nursing. "SPIRITUALLY" is there.
"The Great Nurse"
Toluwalase Eweoya So a muslim Nurse can bring his mat to bedside & Traditionalist should pray in his way @ theatre in d name of definition. Right time & place is required. Bible told me to pray for my enemies, let alone my patients. I support praying.

Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:18 am

Dunny Helen Why sacking her....don't see d wrong in what she does. To me that's just d real true feeling of empathy to d patients. I pray may God restore her job and surprise her in a bigger way
Osayande Egberanmwen To be a dutiful nurse all aspect of patients need should be met, afterall world health organization include spiritual need in its definition of health. Although we don't know exactly what d situation was that lead to d dismisser but I think d management of d hospital should respond to this allegation. They should also communications
Tosin Oyebajo Babaniyi Nothing is wrong with what she did. Praying for a patient is part of treatment
Mordi-francis Onos Enite I just read the article and what I deduced from it is,
1. Understand the policy of your workplace.
2. Allow the patient to ask for your prayers not you suggesting it.
3. Do your job as a nurse not as the hospital chaplain.
Abroad is not Nigeria where we turn our wards to church.... Its not professional. To digress a little, you see people coming to preach and pray for patient and end up been carried away in spirit and forget their are other patient sleeping or with conditions that noise need to be minimised, some nurses allow this while others that doesn't are tagged as pagans. In a nutshell, let's be more professional in carrying out our 'holistic' care.
Maryam Danbauchi GOD WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU AND WILL NEVER FORSAKE YOU.JUST BELIEVE IN THE LORD JESUS.
Onyeyachi Divin Okocha My co-woker, leave everything to God .Becos prayer is the key for all catigory.Bcos all is healing.
Benja Osolife Uduka The Nurse was employed as a Nurse not a clergy!
On signing the contract, her roles and responsibilities were clearly spelt out.

I don't know why we find this very difficult to understand.....
Charles Oguntade Thank you Benja, the best comment so far. African generally are very sentimental when it comes to religion matter. I guess this nurse missed the class when they were teaching the code of conducts and ethics of health profession. There are things you don't do, if she is very concern about her client faith and religion conviction she can continue to fast and pray for the client in her own home not in the hospital. We need to constantly address that word you stressed: "She is employed as a nurse to a clergy". Most hospital in Western world has a chaplain on their payroll that could support clients in prayer if they do demand. If they needed a nurse to add that to their routine care role I am sure it would be included in the contract.
Benja Osolife Uduka Thank you sir;
Seriously the way Africans handle religious matters is intellectually insulting

Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:24 am

Onyeke Chinonye Hmmm, am just surprise at some of our comments. Because even in the theatre, some surgeons pray before they start operating on the patient.
Nikky King God bless you
Charles Oguntade They pray before operating you said, nobody would query you for praying for yourself you only cross the line when you use your position of authority to make the patient follow suit when they are in their most vulnerable position without their express consent
Mordi-francis Onos Enite Pls we should read the article again and understand the context well, in a peri-op form and the column for religion is left blank by a patient it then obvious he/she does not believe in anything, its better you just carry out your nursing role then create time to see the patient (if he/she comes out of surgery) to discuss the religion issue but not on your working hours...because for a patient to complain about her preaching then its either she's imposing her faith or been indirectly judgemental about the patients belief.
Okolo Ikani Christy What is prayer? Do you know what you are saying? Stop talking if you don't have anything to say
Okolo Ikani Christy God you are still faithful fight for your children
Mordi-francis Onos Enite My dear Christy read the article n stop been religious, this is what our problem is in Nigeria, religious people and the most corrupt nation, churches are filled up all the time with few men of God been truthful... If we all practice what we hear then our country will not be what it is today, so don't sermonized me about prayer.
Wendy Okwuraiwe To pray is good but to spend the whole scheduled time for this surgery praying and creating anxiety to the waiting team needs to be looked into. Where i practice, it is routine to pray before procedures and surgery alike but everything must be done with caution bearing in mind that there is time for each case.
Benja Osolife Uduka The nurse asks: How could telling anyone about Jesus Christ be harmful..?
What the nurse fails to understand, just like most people here is that the way she views Jesus and religion is not the way other people see them. It's not a matter of harm or hurt, or even inconvenience, it's a matter of perception. Although Jesus may be her lord and saviour, he is certainly not for everybody. Even other Abrahamic religions would not consider Jesus as their lord, much less saviour.
Okay, let's flip it. If Mrs Kuteh were laid up in a hospital ward and a Muslim nurse tried to worm her way into her graces with Islamic cajoleries, force-feed her with the wonders and beauty of her Mohammedan faith, would she be happy?
Beyond mere perception, it's a matter of invasion, of sheer harassment, of imposition, of overbearing mindlessness - not being mindful of other people's preferences, other people's right to remain in their self-chosen and well-considered unchristian state.
What you, a Christian, consider a sweet spiritual beau geste may constitute a mighty irritant to someone else, even on their death bed.
If I were the nurse I would not go out of my way to propagate unbelief and irreligion to my patients, I would neither ram godless freethought nor secular humanism down their throats - even if I thought it might do them any good. If my duty was to assist in giving care and carrying out treatment within the bounds of medical and scientific practice, that is what I would stick to. If I found that moral and religious dilemmas and conflicting emotions were getting in the way of carrying out my duties, I would certainly step aside.
But now the nurse does not consider her religious passion as problematic, she believes she is in the right, she sees herself as one of the elect, the righteous, which is why she's righteously indignant, wearing the sackcloth of persecution and entitlement -just like most people who have commented.
This is religious absolutism at its worst. Tunnel vision too, because all she can see now is how she's hard done by, not how she has foisted herself and her religion on the uninterested.
Mrs Kuteh should remember that she's not in Ghana or Nigeria where pentecostal pretensions still have some sway. As she should know, in Britain and other advanced cointries, religion, God, and much of the abracrada of piety has been chucked in the backburner - pretty much snuffed, really.

Mordi-francis Onos Enite You just hit the nail in the right angle...if only others will understand....

Mordi-francis Onos Enite Lily Vale, why use abusive words, please state your words intelligently, you are suppose to be a 'Registered Nurse'.
Benja Osolife Uduka Don't mind her. She is a Christian.
Halimat Sadiyah Musah Pls can anyone help me with the meaning of this word "clergy" bcos I ve seen it in this two courses
F.O.N
F.M.P
Nwando Okoye God has a better job for you, do not feel bad much.

Kunle Emmanuel
Webmaster
Webmaster
Reactions:

Unread post by Kunle Emmanuel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:30 am

ABOUT SISTER KUTEH WHO WAS SACKED FOR PRAYING AND PREACHING CHRISTIANITY TO A PATIENT...

It is worth reading the below statement from Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust, explaining what really happened:
"We have a duty to our patients to ensure that when they are at their most vulnerable, they are not exposed to the unsolicited beliefs and/or views of others, religious or otherwise. Sarah Kuteh's dismissal was not because of any religious belief she held but how these beliefs were being conveyed to patients. Following several complaints from patients that the conversations were excessive, unwanted and not consensual. Her line manager directed her to concentrate on her nursing duties and refrain from preaching to patients. Regrettably there was no change in her conduct and the Trust felt it had no option but to handle her behaviour through the disciplinary process which resulted in her dismissal. The Trust felt given the full circumstance it acted appropriately and in the best interests of the patients in its care. Because her actions breached the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) Code of Conduct, the case has been referred to the NMC."
Patients clearly deserve better than to be subject to this kind of intrusive and inappropriate behaviour when they are at their most vulnerable in hospital.
I'm quite sure Mrs Kuteh was acting with the best of intentions, but either she fails to understand the importance of professional standards of practice and behaviour, or chooses to ignore them. Either way, the hospital had a duty to act.
Defending her actions in the media, Mrs Kuteh said: "How could you treat any patient... just looking at the physical needs and not their spiritual needs."
The importance of 'spiritual care' is indeed recognised by the NHS. However, as the Royal College of Nursing's 'pocket guide to 'Spirituality in nursing care' makes clear, "spiritual care is not about imposing your own beliefs and values on another" or "using your position to convert".
It is about recognising and responding appropriately to people's needs. This is what Mrs Kuteh has failed to do. And as the NHS Trust that employed her has pointed out, the hospital fully supports the spiritual and religious needs of its patients and staff by providing a multi faith chaplaincy and facilities to accommodate all beliefs. In taking the action it has against Mrs Kuteh the hospital isn't neglecting patients' spiritual care, it is protecting it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Social Media